nasty sport accidents

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by weed_eater_guy, Nov 20, 2004.

1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Has anyone here had any really nasty snowboarding/skiing/BMXing/biking/surfing/windsurfing/skydiving/etc./etc. accidents? I was just sitting here being bored and I realized I've had some bad wipeouts but nothing involving broken bones or anything serious (spare one concussion). Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I havn't been jumping enough stuff. But yeah, let's get a good forum going!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Only scratches and cuts so far, quite a lot actually, but never anything broken or serious. And I have done some pretty stupid stuff... guess I am also pretty lucky, but the injuries that happen while doing sports can look really bad and nasty.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

In my Tony Hawk phase I tried to jump the bike over a speed bump...a mountain bike. Fell, got a pretty huge gash on my left elbow, and never tried anything so stupid again.

The scar is pretty cool but I have yet to meet a hot girl who thinks I am bad ass for having that scar.

There is a lesson here kids: Not all girls dig scars....you'll need an actual personality to attract girls.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Lol, I tried a somersault over a speedbumb with rollerblades, now that was dumb, only got it halfway through and now I have some scars on my shoulder, elbow and head...

8. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I took a corner too fast on my Centurion Turbo racing bicycle, went wide and smacked into a car. I hit the windshield and dislocated my shoulder. My lovely bicycle, which I had scrimped and saved to buy (and was only three months old) was completely destroyed.

My shoulder has never been the same, and it has popped out three times in the 21 years since I had that accident. I've had numerous other bicycle racing related accidents that trashed bikes and gave me extensive road rash, but that was the worst one ever. Don't ever dislocate your shoulder if you can avoid it.

9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I had a huge wipeout on the ski hill once. I basically went STRAIGHT down, full-speed. It must of been a 35 degree angle. Had the bindings been tighter, my boots would not have come undone..who knows, I might've been crippled.

10. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

i once tried to BMX with a mountain bike, went of the jump, kept going then fell over. Then my sock started bleeding, and i discovered an open wound. 6 stitches on that one. our old soccer coach told us a story about how he as a semi-pro was doing a goal kick, and some guy was standing too close. Our coach ended up kicking the guy right below to kneecap, and broke the fibula and tibia, pushing both out the back of the other guys leg. We saw a video of it. fast and nasty. :m:

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

toboggan down as icy slope head first, got to about 50kmph then hit a bump that seemed to aim for my nuts

12. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Never had one myself, but here's a site with some videos of other people's sporting injuries.

Especially see the one entitled "This Makes grown men weep"...

http://www.video-clips.co.uk/

13. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

Failed a dropin on rollerblades and hear my upperspine and neck compress or something to that extend when i landed on my ass 2m down, anyway it was real cool sound the sound that makes you go "oh shit". But i was lucky, I only got a wipelash and a wierd tick once in a while when i turn my head to the left as the muscels in my neck contracted, lesson taugth leasson learned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Then another time on rollerblades, i was going backwards and wanted to do a 180 to return farwarn, as i start the turn(upper body first), 1 skate got stuck in a waterdrain.
    Basicly everything but my right leg was doing the turn and it did not take long before my knee made some sound i never knew it could. But again i was lucky, momentum set me free, flying in to a bush almost hittin a 12x12cm wooden pole with my head.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Had a fall going about 120 MPH while racing a motorcycle and did 3 cartwheels and two end over ends before stopping in the dirt.

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

I was snowboarding, fell, hit my head on a rock, and forgot what happened untill many hours later. I found myself waking up in a CAT scan machine at the hospital, that is a SCARY situation to wake up in! Fortunately no permanent damage, or at least I hope not... *twitch, twitch*

16. Combine Back from the Dead!!!!! Registered Senior Member

i have never had a realnasty accident only cut and bruses.

17. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I've had many ski accidents. I used to live 5 minutes ( it closed down a couple of years ago) away from the biggest ski hill in the province. There also used to be a HUGE jump park. My worst fall was when I was about twelve years old and I was skiing with my cousins and our friends (there was about ten os us ranging from 12 years old to 18 years). We used to hit the biggest jumps in the park (that are now illegal without supervisors, so they don't exise hardly at all at other hills anymore). We used to spend as much time as we could at the ski hill. One time, we built a gigantic jump by stacking five picnick tables on top of eachother and making the sweetest lift ever. My older cousin who was 17 hit the jump at an odd angle and swiped a tree. His best friend (who was the best jumper out of all of us) hit the jump so fast that he flew 30 feet or more (I'm not kidding) over a nole into the middle of the half pipe. Everyone was too chicken to hit it but I thought I was cool and decided to hit the jump. I lost control in the air and landed face-first in the snow. I cracked my $100 ski goggles that I had gotten at chistmas in half. I was knocked out for about a minute or so. I pretended that I was OK but I think I had a concussion. I never even went to the hospital. I've never been the same sice on skis. I still hit jumps but I don't go over rock cuts and cliffs like I used to...

I've had several bloody noses, skimmed knees, elbows, massive bruises (mostly from being a goalie for the provincial team even with PRO equipment), broken fingers but nothing serious.

I can't play any good sports this year (I particularly miss hockey) because I'm going in for orthoscopy and a lateral release on my knee in January. I can't play hockey without my knee fully dislocating. I may need reconstructive surgery...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Combine Back from the Dead!!!!! Registered Senior Member

aaaaaa i feel for ya mate!!

19. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Two broken wrists in October - jetski accident.
    The rest of me felt like I had been beaten with a stick.

:m: Peace.

20. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Ow, broken wrists... nasty thing to break.

21. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Come to think of it: does a torn lip and broken teeth from being knocked off my bike in the street count as a sporting injury? It certainly hurt, and commuting by bike can be considered a form of fitness training.

22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i ran into a pole a few years back and broke my nose. the gravel was grey and sa was the pole, ya really cant blame me

23. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

Ouch, Starthane, that would suck... Sounds like a friend of mine that fell off her bike and tore a big piece of skin off her chin