NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander lands on Mars May 25

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by cosmictraveler, May 10, 2008.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You don't have oxygen. You can't stop radiation from killing you either.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

H2O? Shelters built from the native soil or ice? Hello?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

So you want to live underground without sunlight? You can do that here on Earth , why leave Earth then? :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SeveredLimbDebris Registered Member

Because there are way too many hot martian babes that need attending to.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I believe our species should stay on earth, and die on earth, space is for our successor.

I know that, I can listen, the grinding bit is only for rasping the surface of ice in which they can get enough particles to sample (and quickly) but it can't dig through the ice.

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I believe that our species thrives (psychologically and biologically) on colonization, and that these steps should be more concertedly promoted officially as part of that instinct/imperative.

REDCOLONY

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Mars Society

-Kim Stanley Robinson

Robinson's sole "consciousness of the universe" concept is pretentious, but the sentiment and imperative is still valid.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  10. draqon Banned Banned

because we need to expand to space, Earth will not be enough.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

yeah kind of what the conquistadors said about the "new world": "We got to expand into it, spain is not enough!"

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

It's true: I've lived in Spain and loved it, but... it's still true. It also seems that we won't have the ethical downside of destroying other civilisatons in this case, and we may save our own in the process. Seems eminently worthwhile to me.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

no, we will be spreading human war, hate and general stupidity across the heavens. Read about the technological singularity and the transhumanist manifesto.

14. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Because it is one more place that humanity can make a home for a few million people. Because we can. I haven't actually checked to find out if Mars's atmosphere prevents overexposure to radiation from solar flares.

15. Balerion Banned Banned

So what? It's a natural part of human existence. We are no different than any other animal in that way. They fight, we fight. It's natural. And yet will still manage, as a race, to show some discretion in that violence. I'd say we do pretty damn well for ourselves.

And as far as "spreading" the hate, there's nobody else around to influence or topple, so it's no worry. The Solar System is ours to explore and colonize.

16. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

ElectricFetus: "[war, hate and general stupidity are] a natural part of human existence."

We are capable of consciously, deliberately evolving beyond and leaving behind our most primitive behavioral baggage- efficient pioneering of worlds beyond our own may even insist that we do so. To paraphrase the famed Astronaut Buzz Lightyear: "To Stupidity and Beyond!"

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I wonder just who will own Mars? Let us say humans do colonize Mars then who reaps the material rewards of what it offers? :shrug: Is it going to belong to just one nation to exploit or is it going to be first come first served?

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Ha! Good luck believing in such idealism, a handful of idealist and alturist is possible, but a colony? No with enough people your going to get all the problems that people have.

JDawg,

See: appeal to nature. Just like every other animal on earth we should stay on earth! The solar system is much easy to explore with machines, and the technology needed to colonize space is nearly as radical as the technology needed to revise the human mind and body.

19. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Fresh images sent back by NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander during its first full day operating in the Martian northern polar region showed most of its science instruments in good health, mission scientists said.
    The one snag on the lander occurred when the protective sheath around the trench-digging robotic arm failed to unwrap all the way after touchdown and now covers the arm's elbow joint.

Expand (199kb, 1280 x 880)
    Credit NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

Read more

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

MRO found waldo:

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

That's a fake, right?

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Click it and see for your self.