NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander lands on Mars May 25

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by cosmictraveler, May 10, 2008.

1. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Well by the time we can download ourselves into robot bodies (or even better, bodies made of nanites) we should have virtual reality, so you can perceive your robot body life however you want. Like The Matrix, except you're in control of the program.

Personally I think venturing deep into space in flesh and bone bodies will never happen, they're just too fragile.

As for OT, isn't the Discovery channel doing a live show for the landing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It would be better to send AI robots!! That way there's little costs involved and humans will be safe. I just don't understand why a human must go into space when we all know of the great deadly dangers as well as very expensive costs involved. Robots will be but a fraction of cost and disposable as well.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

oh yeah? with 8 minute lag on planet Mars...in virtual environment?! :bugeye: never happening.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

because robots are not humans, this is human civilization. We are humans, we as majority have intent to live on and reproduce and expand to the universe and conquer all there is. AI robots are just tools, they are not us.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

want is of no need when your immortal and can take any form you want, think beyond the limitations of human brains. If there is something you desire you can
    1) simulating it a VR where you can experience anything in ways far more profound then reality can provide.
    2) you can simply reprogram your self to be free of any desire or emotion that you find bothersome of difficult to appease.

our existence is grossly limited compared to what technology could do to us, I would say that is more worthwhile,

As for the efficiency of uploading: your going to die, would you rather be dead and gone like tears in the rain, or would you rather as much of you as possible live on, forever, to see things you will never live to see? To solve the existential problems of being uploaded it simply can be implemented as soon as you die, thus it leaves no duplicate problem, also the process of uploading may in fact be lethal as is, best to do it when your already dead.

9. draqon Banned Banned

you know guys I participated a bit in the Phoenix Program, before the thing was sent to Mars...I did some work on the mass spectrometer instrument. But that is like 1/1,000,000th of the work made for Phoenix.

10. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

How is that any different than dealing with lag between Earth and Mars in the "real world"?

11. draqon Banned Banned

Exactly our existence is grossly limited, and even in that limitation I get other limitations like your rejection of my adoration of you.

As for death, I rather die and be born in a new body of a child (such is my reincarnation belief) than continue my existence in metal junk. I want to experience this life over and over again in faces of other people.

12. draqon Banned Banned

I am talking about comparing it to live people on Mars, in comparison to robots controlled via virtual environment from Earth with 8 minute lag.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

You can do that, in a VR and make your self completely unaware that it isn't real.

14. draqon Banned Banned

well than it isn't space...whats the point :shrug:

15. draqon Banned Banned

Look all of you space haters, begone. Humans will conquer the stars, and not some metal junk. The time will come when humans will live and prosper across Solar System and beyond.

16. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Ah, I'm talking about in the future. We'll probably send a manned mission to Mars before all this talk about robot bodies and virtual existence happens.

But sending human bodies to other star systems seems like way too much hassle. You have to worry about food, water, air, radiation, acceleration, gravity, aging, disease, social problems (what do you do cooped up in a metal can on a 20 year voyage?) and so on. With artificial bodies all of those problems can be side stepped.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

the server you reside in can be anywhere, on earth, the moon, and asteroid, alpha centari.

lets say you want to live on a colony on alpha centari, we send a small high speed robotic probe to there, it setup a communication system, you then upload your self there at the speed of light, set up your colony to what ever standard you like, grow a bioroid body for your self and live the good life with a scenic view like this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

your bioroid body can live for thousand of years or as long as you want, and when your done you can upload your self to another star system, slit into many, remerge into one, or merge into others, no limits.

18. draqon Banned Banned

ElectricFetus...until than we got to go to space as humans in our own bodies we were born with. Because we dont have this "uploading" technology you speak of and it lacks ethical principles.

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We don't have the technology to colonize space either. Ethics, talking monkeys think that have morality, they are just animals that have made rules to try and not kill each other like the animals they are! Our successors will have real ethics, ethics not limited by the desires of a talking monkey!

20. draqon Banned Banned

yea well you and I are these "talking monkeys" and I have a duty to my kind to expand the reign of our civilization and give it a place by the stars.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

duty? Talking monkeys have no such duties other then to eat, sleep and make more talking monkeys. They are a step in evolution doom to replacement, they are malformed species and spreading their waring, hating, ignorant kind across the galaxy would be a notorious crime! Once they have evolve beyond killing each other, beyond hate, beyond instinct and animalistic impulses then they can take over the stars, but when that happens they won't be human.

22. draqon Banned Banned

you be that. Meanwhile, I am an evolved monkey with duties.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

and evolved monkey is still an animal.