NASA validates seemingly impossible space thruster

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Kittamaru, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I am sure that any ship used for such an endeavour would have the ability to cope with pressure leaks, holes etc.
    And while 1 in 4 may have mental problems, not all those problems lead to such actions as you suggest, plus the endeavour would undoubtedly involve fairly rigorous psychological screening beforehand, and on-going within the mission itself. Yes, I'm sure any such long-term voyage would need to have their very own Deanna Troi.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But then what happens if the ship's psychotherapist goes insane?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Two problems with this ridiculous tempest in a tea pot.
    1) The "quantum vacuum virtual plasma" experiment was conducted in air, not vacuum. "Testing was performed on a low-thrust torsion pendulum that is capable of detecting force at a single-digit micronewton level, within a stainless steel vacuum chamber with the door closed but at ambient atmospheric pressure. "
    2) The results don't match the claim of specific engineering to take advantage of "quantum vacuum virtual plasma". "Thrust was observed on both test articles, even though one of the test articles was designed with the expectation that it would not produce thrust."

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20140006052
    http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/6.2014-4029

But instead of being any type of EM effect at all, it might come down to differential heating and what separates the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichols_radiometer

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

perhaps rpenner - again, this is why NASA has said it must be studied more. However, the implications, if this is accurate, are truly impressive - not just for this device itself, but more in the aspect of if this device can do it and produce a low amount of thrust, perhaps it is possible to garner larger thrust from a similar idea. It's exciting is all

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I think any criticism here should not be aimed at the scientists (who only seem to be testing the idea, not claiming it works) but with the reporting that perhaps suggests more plausibility than there may yet be grounds for.
    'Tis all well and good considering the implications, and it's exciting if it works, and can be shown to work, but until then it is as exciting as LENR.

8. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

But are they scientists? Or just engineers involved in tooth-fairy (pseudo-)science of trying to measure the "quantum vacuum virtual plasma" effect before establishing that it exists?

http://www.skepdic.com/toothfairyscience.html

Because both the "thruster" and "rock" produced a non-zero force measurement, are they measuring "quantum vacuum virtual plasma" thrust which logically requires testing in progressively harder vacuums or mere convection in a small, air-filled chamber which may have had temperature irregularities before being converted into a low-wattage microwave oven?

9. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I'd be interested in reading the actual paper because the abstract has some issues:

-They start off saying they are only testing, not getting into the theory, then say their results support the theory.
    -they say thrust was produced even with the control test, strongly implying experimental error.

10. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

if this experiment created the same force in vacuum conditions, than they got themselves a contract, in my opinion.

11. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

amusing.
    i do not care if you believe me.
    it's as simple as,
    look into it.

as if prison is a comparable scenario.

if you notice the words you use makes a massive difference
    example,
    " I am aware of " ,
    " The problem with any such endurance testing " ,
    " The risks involved with the actual missions simply can't be replicated ethically in trials. ",
    " their own opinions ",
    " you questioning their intelligence. ",
    " But other than studies on the prison population, ",
    " I am not aware of that many studies, projects or tests on long-term isolation, let alone any that conclude that isolation leads inexorably to insanity as you seem to claim. ",

this is called,
    running your mouth with complete ignorance.
    again,
    try to look into it.
    there are hand full of government projects on this.
    exactly designed for space travel over long periods.

since i can not stand you
    i'm going to tell you to figure it out your self.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

krash, he is right though - if you make a claim, you have to provide some evidence to back it - telling someone to go find it isn't acceptable.

At least, that used to be the forum policy... whether that still is or not seems to be debatable...

13. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

nine times out of ten,
    it's the attitude of why i don't supply " support/evidence "

what ever happened to individuals taking the rein of their own learning and/or evolving.
    now days, everyone wants to rely on spoon feeding.
    i spent almost ten years of my life doing my own learning and evolving.
    no one spoon fed me anything.
    and even if i did give a freaking link,
    then what ?
    they will still claim not true,
    just so they can argue.
    in a sense,
    there's no point to do so.
    even when i do post a link for " evidence/support ",
    no one reads it anyways.
    there are topics that show this. a couple just recently.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Understood, and trust me I can appreciate that - but technically speaking, the rules do state that it is the responsibility of the one making the claim to substantiate it.

15. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Kittamaru, we have no room nor need for your mature, considerate, even-handed responses around here.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Given the large numbers of sea voyages in our history undertaken by small crews - often lasting months or years - I don't see this as an insurmountable problem.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Thank you, I needed those

after the day I had at work XD

18. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

because that's no even close to long periods of space travel.
    let alone of researching documentation of these sea voyages where people went insane..
    everyone is attempting to compare apples to oranges.
    do not take part in other individuals nonsense.
    expand your mind,
    look into what i stated.
    simple.

there are hand full of government projects on this.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, we know that sea voyages of years are possible with very small crews. Presumably larger crews provide more insulation against insanity due to boredom or routine.
    Oh, I think it's a risk - just not an insurmountable one, or even the biggest one.

20. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

when it comes to interstellar travel or even traveling to the heliopause ,
    human is the issue.
    not the propulsion(the issue with this is radiation exposure,which is not an issue) or craft, but the human.
    it's a response from the subconscious.
    come to find out, humans need physical interaction with other beings.
    isolation in space for what human calls long periods,
    is quite different than what , so far, every one has tried to compare.
    sometimes it's that simple.
    again,
    look into what i stated.
    there are hand full of government projects(from the 40's and on) on this.

21. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

also look into
    how astronauts have to go through psychological exercises and test,
    just to go live on the iss for months.

22. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

they used to live for months up there, back in MIR station but now ISS has got everyone living in space a week at most.

23. Bells Staff Member

Then it should be easy for you to provide a link. You may state what you wish. But you do have to substantiate your claims. So please do so.

Sailors, some teenagers, spend years sailing around the world, by themselves, with very little contact with anyone. They have not gone insane.

As one noted earlier, the MARS-500 study/mission saw no psychological issues arise, during and after the mission.

There is also a difference between isolation with nothing to do to keep one's self occupied and isolation where one has duties, work and are able to remain in contact, even rudimentary radio contact. Certainly, being locked in a room by yourself for years on end with no contact would drive one insane. But this would not really be the case with space travel. There would be social interaction and other people there. I doubt they would send just one person on such long missions, but a team of people (refer to the MARS-500). If you want to study the effects of isolation with no hope of returning home for months at a time, then you only have to study the people who spend a year or more at the South Pole, and winter there with no hope of leaving, even if something goes terribly wrong. They haven't gone insane.