NASA Obligated To Hide ETI?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by btimsah, Feb 2, 2006.

1. btimsah Registered Senior Member

As an update and side note, a few weeks ago I sent a letter to my Senator (Jim Inhoff) and asked him point-blank - does the Space Act allow NASA to hide from the public view, information about objects of unknown origin? This was the response I got back;

So, I guess he's looking into it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Obviously that's not what I had hoped for. In a nutshell, he did not care.

If anyone else would like to email their congressmen or someone at NASA and ask them question's about this, that would be much appreciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

He probably has more important things to do.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Here's an interesting report on Project Moon Dust and Operation Blue Fly

It's fascinating to see how the FOIA documents suggest that, not only does the Military study these unknown object's, and that they are of military value, but that NASA helps them in study and retrieval. Given the inconsistant responses the Air Force gave it makes you wonder if protocol was followed and weather or not this is properly classified.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. btimsah Registered Senior Member

You have successfully replaced substance with ridicule. Good job, soldier.

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

No, seriously. He has to deal with healthcare, education and other enquiries. Why would he take the time to answer what appears to him to be an alien-conspiracy theorist when he has pressing hospital enquiries to attend to?

9. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

... And a refreshingly sane view it is too. Applause, applause....

So, what exactly are your prescise concern regarding these new Bill Amendments then?

10. btimsah Registered Senior Member

I don't particularly care if you feel it's worth it. In fact, if you don't think it's worth it - then that makes me think I'm on the right track.

11. btimsah Registered Senior Member

Bill amendments?

12. The changes you indicate to the Space Act - presumably it had to go through the Senate as some form of amendment to an already existing Bill.... Hence, you're writing to your local Senator? Hence, somewhat equally, the question....

13. theparadox Registered Member

Umm..no exactly wrong actually. NASA is funded by the US government as most of us know. If such a discovery has/is/will happen(ed)(ing) any funding wouldn't be directed through NASA's Budget; it would go under one of the several confidential "Black Ops" that the government runs, and would fall most certainly under the National Security Budget. I think you are far underestimating the capablities of the US government; if they don't want the general public to know about something, they most certainly have the means of "keeping a lid on it."

Why keep it under wraps? The most obvious answer to me is technology...the second most obvious answer being security.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  14. btimsah Registered Senior Member

I did not ask the Senator about the Space Act amendment's. I asked him how one should interpret the Space Act.

15. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

The funding would most likely go to the agency that is best suited to gather scientific data. If not NASA which agency would be better suited?

16. btimsah Registered Senior Member

It could have been said - If the Military really had a stealth bomber, Lockheed would tell everyone so they could make thousands and thousands off them. It would increase their funding!

But, alas they kept it as secret as they could because it was the perfect weapon for a time when we needed something to get around the evil

empire's improving radar.

17. .... Right, so what you're saying here is you wrote to him asking how you should interpret the space act without actually refference the space act at all.... Becasue, apparently you "did not ask the Senator about the Space Act amendment's."

Btimsah, this really is a terribly simple question - you began this post referencing certain amendments to the Space Act - you specify these in your initial post.

What, exactly, are your concerns regarding these changes?

Pretty much the same damn question I asked you three posts back but apparently a question you have no idea how to answer without fannying around making out as if you don't know what the question means.

Any particular reason for this or have you just very recently been kicked in the head by a horse or something - enquiring minds and all that.

18. btimsah Registered Senior Member

If you don't know what my concerns are, by now, then I guess the horse must have hit you too.

19. Well, one of us certainly is getting about due for a good kicking somewhere - it's a simple question. Why the reluctance to give a simple, straight answer?

20. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

btimsah does seem to avoid answering questions. Try Mine again- who better than NASA?

21. Mmmm, does rather, don't 'e...? Perhaps there's a secret password or handshake or some such...

22. qwerty mob Deicidal Registered Senior Member

One needs to understand that ET Life and ET Intelligent Life are two vastly different phenomena. Humanity probably isn't prepared for the actuality of extraterrestrial life, much less extraterrestrial intelligent life; contact, or the cultural and social fallout.

As has been demonstrated in many other threads on this forum, we're not even ready to let go of (qed-) "racism" and embrace our terrestrial diversity in any kind of rational terms; so in more than one regard, welcoming ETI is even more unfathomable and "out of this world."

On the subject of this thread, NASA is not obliged to hide ET Life; proof of this was the Mars meteorite (ALH84001) analysis. However, ETI is (and has been) a National Security phenomenon and subject to special handling. There are genuine historical documents, and some of questionable authenticity, which indicate (probably even "prove"- in the legal sense) that (members within) the US Government and their Armed Forces have taken this matter seriously enough to: issue regulations which quarantine astronauts and pilots after their flights; engage in high altitude, interatmospheric, and space-based surveillance and intelligence gathering; implement procedures for control and command, classification and compartmentalization of unknown phenomena; issue written and tacit directives to pacify public information consumption (the news media, et al) with cover stories and disinformation; and to draft offical department position statements of denial.

Greetings, All

23. btimsah Registered Senior Member

People call me paranoid..

Who better than NASA, at what? I don't really understand what your question is, or the other guy's.