NASA: Humans Will Prove We Are Not Alone

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Stranger: Do you have any explanation for the following fact mentioned in by me in Post 97?
    If you did not understand my cogent reasons why there are no SciFi insects as big as Texas steers, does the above make you wonder about your POV?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

As a side note: Apparently our visitable, space-probed celestial residents of Mars, Venus, and Titan don't count as alternate environments and ample opportunities for our much speculated about, radically "different set of needs" alien-biology [as complex life] to have developed over billions of years. Instead it is moons like Europa that might have watery oceans under their frozen crusts (i.e., that embarrassingly Earth-like similarity again) that hopes ride upon.

But we can still keep watch anyway for these giant exoskeleton creatures on extrasolar planets which have different respiratory systems (or etc) that escape the size limitation. Woops, significant anatomical modifications could place them outside the narrower class of Insecta, though, despite whatever superficial outer resemblances to familiar Earth fauna. Taxonomy's just a real pain for interstellar giant mantis hunters.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Stranger: From your Post #98
    The problem is that you do not understand that the oxygen delivery capabilities of the insect are far inferior to those of vertebrates.

The insect delivery mechanism of insects could not supply the oxygen requirements of an insect the size of a Texas steer.

Consider the question I asked in Post # 97
    My Post #87 provides a reason for insects being smaller than mice.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

You're right, of course, but I doubt you've been to Texas. The cockroaches are so big that Texans like to boast that you can here their feet clatter across hard flooring, and why the mice! A Texan will claim their Texan mice are as big as grizzly bears!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Humans are stupid. They will never find Alien life.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I understand all I need to about Earth insects tho that is unrelated to the point.

That is how it turned out here. It says nothing about life on other planets.

I have wondered what all kinds of life there is in the universe.

This got old&tiring long ago. If you have to have the last word, go ahead. If I do not respond again, I will yet have the last logical word.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think we can all agree that the DNA template for carbon-based life on this planet will never evolve an insect (or any air-breathing arthropod) significantly larger than those creepy, gigantic cockroaches. Their physiology simply can't be scaled up that far because of gravity.

But if we took some to another planet with weaker gravity, perhaps they would evolve eventually. Of course a planet with weaker gravity will have a thinner atmosphere, so perhaps that would be the new limiting factor.

To suppose that insects--or any other living things with a biology recognizable to us Earthlings, even bacteria or algae--could evolve on another planet, by sheer coincidence, would be a classic example of a geocentric perspective on the universe. Time to review Galileo.

11. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Hence what makes Star Trek so laughable, but Star Wars less so. I know that Trek lore has it that the galaxy was 'seeded' by an ancient humanoid race, but they seemed to have done too good a job. Why? The original's show budget didn't allow for many truly alien creatures. Sure there was the horta, the silicon-based rock eating/breathing creature in The Devil in the Dark episode, but rarely any others. Best line: (when McCoy is asked to examine the wounded creature): "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."

[video=youtube;MULMbqQ9LJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MULMbqQ9LJ8[/video]

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Indeed: all of the humanoid species are capable of cross-breeding!

13. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

[video=youtube;EG2EP-iPUro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2EP-iPUro[/video]​

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Until I have enough information about alien life, I suppose most or all of it could be very similar to life here or most or all could be extremely different or any mix or variation. We just do not know either way yet.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://phys.org/news/2014-08-space-scientist-sums-life-planets.html

Abstract
    The discovery and characterization of exoplanets have the potential to offer the world one of the most impactful findings ever in the history of astronomy—the identification of life beyond Earth. Life can be inferred by the presence of atmospheric biosignature gases—gases produced by life that can accumulate to detectable levels in an exoplanet atmosphere. Detection will be made by remote sensing by sophisticated space telescopes. The conviction that biosignature gases will actually be detected in the future is moderated by lessons learned from the dozens of exoplanet atmospheres studied in last decade, namely the difficulty in robustly identifying molecules, the possible interference of clouds, and the permanent limitations from a spectrum of spatially unresolved and globally mixed gases without direct surface observations. The vision for the path to assess the presence of life beyond Earth is being established.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-08-space-scientist-sums-life-planets.html#jCp
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Astrophysicist seeks life on planets outside our solar system
    Jul 10, 2014 by Elizabeth Thomson

Seager is excited about the future. "We stand on a great threshold in the human history of space exploration," she told Congress last December. "If life is prevalent in our neighborhood of the galaxy, it is within our resources and technological reach to be the first generation in human history to finally cross this threshold, and to learn if there is life of any kind beyond Earth."

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-07-astrophysicist-life-planets-solar.html#jCp
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Needless to say, I share that excitement, even though most Astronomers/Cosmologists, agree that life should exist out there, somewhere, sometime, and to say "It's much ado about nothing" is no more then a silly cop out remark.
    That 100% realisation when it does come about, will without any doubt, be the most profound moment in Earth's and our history.

16. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Why do you post such a 'cop out remark' then, paddoboy?

Is there a possible misunderstanding or misinterpretation of what is written in these Posts on SciForums, in addition to a misunderstanding of when to properly use the words "then" and "than". They are after all two different words with two completely different meanings and usages.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

dmoe, the remark about "much ado about nothing" with regards to the discussion matter, is just plain dumb.
    Now no matter how you want to twist that, or how many red herrings you drag up to distract from your silly blunder, it remains dumb.
    Live with it.
    Any definitive evidence that shows 100% we are not alone, will without doubt be mankinds most defining moment.

18. river

How true this is

river

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I understand where you are coming from river.
    I mean you think we have been certainly visted before by ETI don't you?
    Have you claimed to have met any?
    How about these giants you were on about a while back?
    Any other conspiracies you believe?

20. river

Discover at your own pace , pad

21. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

I will wholeheartedly second that e-motion.

dmoe

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

OMFG!!!! Who would have thought? [tic mode definitely on

]

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

river, I'm certain life exists off this Earth, both basic and advanced, for many reasons stated many times.
    As much as I would like to believe there already has been contact, it just doesn't add up.
    I mean your gullibility is incredible.....You seem to get your facts from U tube, or anything that looks half sensationalist.
    Do you really believe that any ETI species that are advanced enough to come here, would just appear to some potentially nutty individual?
    A species that advanced would have studied us from orbit or even more remote, and logically land or make contact where most would see and know.
    95% of UFO sightings and contact are already explained. Those that are not explained, are just that. Not explained...a mystery. Why then contribute that to some ETI Alien species.

All of the world's space agencies have as part of their continued mission, to 100% validate their existence.
    To finally know we are not alone with utmost 100% certainty, is the goal of all of these reputable space agencies.
    And when that happens, you will be just as profoundly affected as everyone else.
    I really don't believe that because you personally THINK they do exist, that final proof, or irrefutable evidence of that existence, should not continued to be looked for.
    I mean I could Imagine you coming across an irrefutable Alien craft in your backyard....You walk out take a look, give a hmmmm, yeah that's nice, walk back inside, sit down and have a cuppa, or a beer and forget about it, because you knew in your own heart that they did exist. I mean really river, you have told some whoppers in your time here, but you know exactly what you would do as well as I.

It's a 100% human requirement, to know with 100% certainty that ET's exists.
    To say its "much ado about nothing" is dumb...real dumb, and not one bit believable no matter whoever claims that absurd dumbness.
    A pity sometimes agendas can affect a persons common sense processes and logic.