NASA: Humans Will Prove We Are Not Alone

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Jul 24, 2014.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Not really...Just that life has only occupied a small portion of the overall existence of the Universe.
    From memory, if we squeezed the 13.83 billion years into a year, with the BB occurring on 1st January, life on Earth arising would occur on about Christmas eve or such?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

But at least they are doing something that could potentially be the greaest discovery in human history.
    Out of interest, what are you doing that anyone else would be Interested in?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Obviously with regards to misinterpretation, yes.
    It's just not that Important for me to remember that's all...considering the lack of scientific content of most of your posts.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

In the reports I read so far, they aren't specific at all. While finding any life or even being 70% certain, specially outside our solar system, would be a great discovery, I usually take "Are We Alone" to refer to intelligent life.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Funny. I am so tempted to also say that is improbable yet the truth is that we have no way to know how probable or improbable it is. We should do our best to find out tho.

IF we find good evidence of life out there somewhere, theists will claim that as evidence of gods. IF somehow we could find there is no other life in the universe, theists would claim that as evidence of gods.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm far more optimistic than that. Ignoring the divine deity creationist thingy, we have a near infinite Universe [if not Infinite], we have a near infinite number of stars, with an even larger number of planets, we have the stuff of life everywhere we look. Why life would just arise on one planet, is beyond comprehension.
    But those same facts of a Universe near Infinite in extent, plus near infinite numbers, plus time since conditions from the BB became more sociable for life, make contact rather hard.
    The question of rarity of ETL is relative at these scales. Time and distance does not make it easy for contact.
    And yes, most certainly, we should be doing our best to find out!

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    Winston Churchill

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes, I would guess that to be true.....

The other more speculative scenario is the question of life arising "as we don't know it" Is that possible?
    I mean life based on something else rather then Carbon.

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Optimism or pessimism do not affect whether we have any way of knowing such things. I am neither pessimist nor optimist. Each seems silly to me.

Until we know it is impossible, which I doubt we could ever know, it should be considered possible. But even carbon based life might be very much life as we don't know it.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

With relation to the most basic fundamental lifeforms to Intelligent species, I found this in a Hawking lecture.....

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    The process of biological evolution was very slow at first. It took two and a half billion years, to evolve from the earliest cells to multi-cell animals, and another billion years to evolve through fish and reptiles, to mammals. But then evolution seemed to have speeded up. It only took about a hundred million years, to develop from the early mammals to us. The reason is, fish contain most of the important human organs, and mammals, essentially all of them. All that was required to evolve from early mammals, like lemurs, to humans, was a bit of fine-tuning.

from.....
    http://www.hawking.org.uk/life-in-the-universe.html
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I bookmarked it to read later. Thanks. Scanning over it, it seems familiar. There's no date.

This is interesting at the end : "There used to be a project called SETI, the search for extra-terrestrial intelligence. It involved scanning the radio frequencies, to see if we could pick up signals from alien civilisations. I thought this project was worth supporting, though it was cancelled due to a lack of funds. But we should have been wary of answering back, until we have develop a bit further. Meeting a more advanced civilisation, at our present stage, might be a bit like the original inhabitants of America meeting Columbus. I don't think they were better off for it."

I think we would have no choice but to answer. To find out there is intelligent life out there yet have no contact out of fear is a horrible thought. Unless the message we pick up is a book titled To Serve Man.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Totally agree with those sentiments.

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

He does make a good point tho. IF they are much like humans in some ways, we might be in big trouble.

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Enjoyed that and remember the episode real well.
    I did prefer "The Outer Limits" though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtjhWhw2I8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUdmat1Env8

Seriously though, as a species, we are Improving slowly, and I'm of the opinion that any civilisation in advance of us, will have learnt that much more from their past, and be able to see that much more clearly, the folly in aggression and intolerance.
    Here's hoping anyway.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  18. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I am sure whom ever runs earth as humans understands this threat. Its something they do have to consider, and i am sure they have. It may seem funny, but there is a food chain, and we do not know we are at the top.

So although people may laugh at this, i am sure the people whom matter on earth have considered this, and will do what they can to stop such a scenario if that was really there intention. But who knows how many races there are?

19. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Your preference for fiction is evidenced in your more than 5200 Posts.

Exactly how, paddoboy, do you figure that "we'll have learnt that much more from their past"?

You speak of "the folly in aggression and intolerance", yet your own Posts are predominated by an excess of aggression and intolerance.

20. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

these continuous frivolous shenanigans are very tiresome.

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

But we do not know when life arose elsewhere.

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

The entire History Channel or which shows? Isn't worth mentioning by who?

23. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I wonder how much time we have. I would feel better about the future of humanity if I knew it wasn't all in 1 solar system.