Nasa Faked Moon Landing

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Present, Dec 10, 2005.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

i hate to be a party pooper again but changa
    the temp depends on the position of the moon in it's orbit around the earth
    not the position of the sun

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RickyH Valued Senior Member

NO..... look just because the moon doesn't have doesn't mean it doesn't have gases the moon has gases there for it does have an atmosphere.....

here this will help you understand the basic concept

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q652.html

Does the Moon have an atmosphere?

Yes it does.

The lunar escape velocity is 2.4 kilometers per second. For an atmosphere at a constant temperature, the heavier atoms move more sluggishly than the lighter ones. The rule of thumb is that if you multiply the average velocity of a particular atomic specie and get a number equal to the escape velocity or higher, that specie of atom in the atmosphere will evaporate away. On the Moon, the average temperature of the atmosphere there would be about 240 Kelvins or so, and the typical speed of heavy oxygen atoms would be about 0.5 kilometers per second. Since 6 x 0.5 = 3.0 kilometers per second, and this is higher than the lunar escape velocity of 2.4 kilometers/sec, any atoms lighter than oxygen would have escaped the lunar atmosphere. But, in principle, this leaves heavier atoms such as sulfur with a thermal velocity of about 0.3 kilometers per second and the heavy gas xenon with 0.1 kilometer/sec still under the 'rule of six' rule. This means that a very thin gas of sulfur, argon, zenon and similar heavy gases could still survive.

In 1933, astronomers Flynn and Mendillo reported in the issue of the journal Science ( vol. 261 page 184) that they had detected sodium emission from around the Moon by occulting the Moon with a special mask and the searching for the optical emission line of sodium. They were unable to search closer than 1000 kilometers from the lunar surface due to the quality of their optical filters. This search was repeated in 1994 by A. Potter, T. Morsan and L. Gillian with modern technology, and they detected the sodium cloud 'exosphere' all the way to the lunar surface. It was reported in the 1994 issue of the Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society, vol. 26, No. 13 page 1104 and 1106. Overall, the atmosphere is a million times less dense than the Earth's.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

an atmosphere of magnificent desolation

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RickyH Valued Senior Member

well what do you expect?

8. snake river rufus Registered Senior Member

It has such an incredably thin atmosphere as to not matter in matters of heat transfer

9. RickyH Valued Senior Member

well there would be heat transfer but a slow and weak one

10. Light Registered Senior Member

"Slow and weak" wouldn't even come close! The word "negligible" is what comes to mind.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

if you want to get technical the entire universe has an atmosphere

12. RickyH Valued Senior Member

that is completly untrue what do you think a space vacuum is? The whole entire universe doesn't have molecules there for the entire universe doesn't have an atmosphere

13. URI IMU Registered Senior Member

Oh dear

think radiation.... why do you think the Moon is hot in the Sun... or the earth for that matter....

14. RickyH Valued Senior Member

who was that message directed too?

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

The vaccum of space is not empty - and I am not even talking about virtual particles here. The so called vacuum of space is filled with stray hydrogen atoms, dust particles, occasional organic moelcules. Not very many it is true, but enough for Leopold to call it an atmosphere if you are going to call what the moon has an atmosphere.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

my point exactly ophiolite.

17. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I must say this , did not say space vacuums are empty i said they had no molecules probably should have said somthing more like an EXTREMELY small amount of matter (outside of our solar system)..... and no it is not enough to be called an atmosphere like the moon has.... But let me say this a space vacuum in its simplist terms does not have an atmosphere or pressure now hoever in our solar system the space vacuums do have an atmosphere (because of the sun)

18. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Then neither does the moon have an atmosphere, under those definitions. I smell a double standard.

19. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Well, im growing tired of this, Do you know why the space vacuum has it's affect?

Appearently not, from what i have learned about them there affect is caused because they have no atmosphere...

Like lets say you stepped out into space in your regular clothe lets say thats a t-shirt and blue jeans. The affect that thevacuum would have on you is you would start to expand until you explode then your extrails would expand and be token to the depths of space..... this happens because there is no atmosphere

i guess if space vacuum had atmosphere this wouldn't happen. But it does happen

20. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

21. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I think you're looking at it wrong...

The effect of the earth's atmosphere is to stop you from exploding, because the outside pressure matches your internal pressures. Space lacks this property. But the vacuum doesn't make you explode - internal pressure, now that makes you explode

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. leopold Valued Senior Member

people that fail to use logic and commen sense makes me explode.

23. Anomalous Banned Banned