Nasa Faked Moon Landing

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Present, Dec 10, 2005.

1. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I hope that answers it for everyone else though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

well it doesn't
    you are forgetting librations of the moon
    and the moons orbit is inclined to the ecliptic

the librations would produce an east/west motion of the earth
    the inclination would produce a north/south motion

am i correct?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RickyH Valued Senior Member

The moon is locked so that it presents the same face to the earth all the time during the lunar month. But if you were to take the wo balls it would show you just "about" what it would look like. It would not be perfect.Also, because the orbit of the moon is tilted about 5 degrees with respect to the Earth's equator, from the moon there will be locations where the earth will slowly rise and set during the lunar month as seen from the surface.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Leo, I still cannot improve on your original estimate that it would be a figure eight, and my own amendment, with distortions. I trust you are as amused as me by Ricky feeding you back your own explanation as if it were his, after you have pointed out how he had oversimplified his original answer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

this is not true ricky
    if the moon was "locked" then we on earth would only be able to see 50% of the surface.

but due to libration and inclination we are able to see approx. 59% of the surface

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Leo - I have never been able to upload pictures onto this site, which is a shame, because this one is a beauty. It shows the path of the Earth as viewed by an observer on the moon.

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/110.html

This is exactly what you are looking for. A very intricate shape. Some comments from the site on what is influencing the final shape.

The average up/down latitude excursion is 5.13°, corresponding to the Moon's orbital inclination with respect to the ecliptic. A variety of other influences from the Sun add up to +/- 0.9° more to this.

The left/right longitude excursions are caused mainly by the Moon's orbital eccentricity. The major term is 2e radians, or 6.29°, where e = 0.055 is the orbit eccentricity. Interaction with the Sun contributes a little more, bringing the longitude peak movement to some 8°.

The combined latitude and longitude movement is a maximum of 9.5°, as can be seen at the "corners" of the plot.

Incidentally, this was the first hit of 114 for the Google search ""earth viewed from the moon".

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

nice graphic ophiolite

i am confused though
    at the top it says "start 1994 june 21"
    at the bottom it says "stop 1997 june 21"

does this graphic represent three years of observation?

11. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Yes. I believe it does. If you could count the major excursions, without going cross eyed, you would find one for each month.

12. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I possibly used the wreong context of locked. I meant that the moon is locked on it's orbit. With the inclinations and such it has a few different changes everyonce in a while, but nothing to much as to change the view completely. Just add the 9% to how much you see of Earth.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

We need a "Fake Moon Landing" forum....

14. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I bet you there is one.

15. RickyH Valued Senior Member

<iframe src=http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=420 height=700 width=700> </iframe>

But look how good they are compared to this site. I would much rather do it here then any other. That place is a joke compared to this place.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  16. leopold Valued Senior Member

why? whenever someone gets a wild hair up their butt we'll just drag this thread out.

17. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Yeah, maybe they faked it, otherwise no one would have a reason to say they did.

18. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

You, c7ityi, were arrested in the spring of 2004 for having sex with a goat in a suburb of Miami. Because of a failure to read you, or the goat, your rights, the case was never brought to trial.

Maybe the above is true, otherwise no one would have a reason to say it.

19. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Yeah, maybe they didn't fake it. But why would someone want to create a rumor like that? Why?

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

1) They believe it to be the truth as a consequence of mental illness.
    2) They want to be famous.
    3) They are conducting an experiment to see how gullible the public is.
    4) They have a beef with the government and this is one way of getting back at them.
    5) They hope to make money out of lecturing on the rumour and writing books.

That should be enough to get you started.

21. RickyH Valued Senior Member

The same reason Happeh sticks around.

22. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

For once we are in agreement. A most perceptive comment.

23. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Thank you. Mazel Tov to you with your Happeh problems.