Nanotechnology and the "Big-Brother"

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Miguelio, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Miguelio Registered Member

This is my first thread, and i will start with a prophecy.
    50 years from now, all we need to create an enzime capable of destroying the world is a computer, intelligence and creativity. The only way to prevent this is controling all people.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Control

Welcome to Sciforums Miguelio,

I would say that you are fairly correct in what it would take to destroy the earth but I think you may be a bit off in time frame. I would say 30-35 years max. So how do we get around this? You have put out the option of controlling all people. Who would be in control?

I've thought about this very same problem the last six or so years and can only come up with one answer; mass hybridization by a totally benign AI system, possibly a very advanced singularity. It would have to be seamless, and I think it's possible. All your memories could be stored right where they are, but I would think that everyone of us in the world would have to be frozen in place somehow so that the AI system can "educate" the populace on what has happened. Then gradually the AI system would either release control of us, or transport us into a VR world where we can further evolve.

As far as being "educated", this would be custom tailored to each individual. Saddam Hussein would most certainly need different education than say Art Bell.

What do you think?

Peace

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Miguelio Registered Member

Another possibility would be the develpment of a nanotechnological immune system. Bilions of nanorobots, capable of evolving, could live in us, protect us agains't bad nanomachines or even improve us. The microbes of our normal flora do something like that in our bodies.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to scifourms, Miguelio.

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

How could an enzime destroy the world?

9. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Pathogens have a number of special genes (virulence factors) that allow them to cause disease, including (a) mechanisms to enter your body and find a place to attach and grow, (b) production of "nasty enzymes" that degrade your tissues and allow bacteria access to food, and (c) production of specific toxins, proteins active in minute quantities with very specific targets in your body. Examples: Staphylococcus aureus (-> "staph" infections), can produce over a hundred "nasty" enzymes such as proteases (breaks down your cell proteins), lipase (breaks down your cell lipids), nucleases (breaks down DNA and RNA), leukocidins (kills white blood cells, produces pus), etc.

Destroy the person and the world ceases to exist for that entity; although first you have to introduce the pathogen into the body. Basicly you would be engaging in germ warfare on a basic desktop computer with genetic modeling software. Somehow you would have to procure a biolab to do it though. I'm sure terrorists are very interested in something along these lines. The world is becoming a very dangerous place indeed.

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Feh...

If all people were completely controlled it would not be a world worth having. In such a case, let the world burn.

Anyway for any potential nanite you could also have an anti-nanite or nano-cannable.

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Right, but we're talking about enzymes, not pathogens. The enzymes that you listed as 'nasty' are all metabolic enzymes that everyone has in their body.

12. Pine_net Chaos Product Registered Senior Member

Very true! I guess what I am talking about then is pathogen programing vice enzyme design.

I've heard of lab on a chip. Does anyone here have any information on this technology?

Peace

13. Miguelio Registered Member

14. Tadpole_Terror Registered Senior Member

Why go to the trouble of waiting for nano technology? There's plenty of 'existing' viruses aound to be 'tweaked' into a superbug. Heck, how much longer will it be before another naturally occuring influenza mutation wipes out a third or more of the population?

There's really no need to dream of exotic and futuristic methods of destruction. If ultimately we are going to perish as a species by our own wicked devices it's far more likely (I believe) to be from some cheap genetic engineering than extremely difficult nano technology.

Oh, I'm an optomist and don't believe any of the above is in store for us.