Nanotechnology and life

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by apendrapew, Apr 12, 2003.

1. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

With a society based around Nanotechnology, people won't have to work in order to earn enough money for food, shelter, etc. In order to live, people wouldn't have to do anything. You wouldn't have to walk, work, talk, wipe your bum, or anything. We could potentially be a planet full of Anna Nicole Smiths.

I did a presentation on Nanotechnology in my Cisco class and someone pointed that out. What would be the point in living?

What would people do to occupy themselves?

What would you do?

Well... what is there to do?
    - Party
    - Destroy yourself and others
    - Improve yourself

I think that's what Star Trek is about. They're just always cruising around trying to help people/aliens and improve themselves.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofy headed punk Registered Senior Member

Many new technological advances have been haraleded as bringing in a new age of man, in which man so helped by his creations that he'd have nothing left to do. I believe this was said of the computer. Quite apparently we've kept busy.

Besides most of the hype aroung nanotechnology will probably never come true. It's nice to dream though. Just don't let your dreams freak you out.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

Nano-technology is a enormous growing science. It is said with the technological advances such as "Utility Fog" will improve upon us so drastically that we will be able to easily withstand time, and even become "immortal." However, of course if nanobots gain sentience, people always have to think of the "what-if's." like Michael Chrichton's, The Prey, were a group of nano-bots kill humans. So... to answer your question will if Nano-bots gain sentience, what will we do... Well, we could still do everything we do today, you dont have to exept nano-bots, and nano-robotics wont take over your world, unless of course GRAY GOO forms...

Nano advances such as Utility Fog, can mimic the molocules of objects infinitely, so that we can program it ti get some molociles of a LAZY-BOY recliner... and BOOM, we can also make it copy are genetic sequence, and override it wit protective nano-bots, so we can render oursleves immortal from virtually any virus.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

Woah soo wrong... are you kidding me, maybe the hype about nano-bots malfunctioning and destoring human kind isint true... but my no means is nano-technology not going to develop into a much more sophisticated science... if you dont believe this take Future Problem Solving.

8. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Do you think people have better lives now than say, 100 years ago?

9. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

In some ways yes and in someways no, for example 100 years ago people were being plagued with Black Death, and Polio was going around, and there wasnt vaccines for a lot of different things so death could be more frequent, however now there is more pollution then there ever was then 100 years ago, however in another 100 years nanotechnology may come in handy...

10. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Since nanotech would make everything cheap, it would make everything lose its value. It would make people go crazy. It would surely require a new kind of person to live gracefully in that kind of society.

"Damnit!! I worked so hard on that!" would not happen. Neither would, "Yipee!!!"

Not necessarily bad... but it could mark the end of human emotion. We wouldn't really need it anymore because salvation is so simple and easy with nanotech. I'll prolly get flack for this, but I'll say it anyway. What if similar technological advancements like nanotechnology caused the "weeding out" of emotionality from the evolution of other life forms? (Aliens, greys, in specific)
    Check this out.

Imagine that you shot some nanomachines to another planet and with them, they carried instructions to rebuild that planet, rendering it habitable for you and a few select others.

What if everyone did that?

11. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

Humans will never be deprived of their emotions. It is built into the way out brain works. Just about the only case of an emotion-less human I have ever seen was a gang-banger who had gone through so many drive-by's, so many parties, so much shit that in the end he lost his soul. He was in the room while a friend of his raped his little sister and he didn't care. He watched that same friend get blown away point blank with a shotgun blast and didn't care. They threw him in prison and he didn't care. He probably woudn't care if we fried him in an electric chair.

And yet, when he was finally removed from his situation, he broke down and cried for nearly a month straight. He will spend the rest of his life dealing with it.

12. ChildOfTheMind So dark the con of man Registered Senior Member

Scientists have already had that idea, however the must improve upon the Nanotechnology industry by trifold to be able to have nanobots gain sentience, and create say Mars, a habitable planet... But it would be awesome, and then Mars will probably be a new "earth" however, I think people will just be content with living in Earth... and we could only get to Mars by spaceship, so how are we going to get everyone over there? and theres always the astertoid belt.

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

When it comes down to the gritty details on how nanorobots will work they most likely (at first) be biorobotic or made of biological components.

As for humanity future with nanotech, biotech and cybernetics... well why would we even need bodies to live? Bodies in the future will be like cars are today.

14. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Well... what would we have instead of bodies? We may end up not needing them but that certainly wouldn't be reason enough for me to want to give up my body. I like my body. Plus, humans are meant to have bodies. There will be hell to pay for those that go against that, ie, unsuspected consequences.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I was thinking something along the lines of an Ultra computer as a good place to live.
    Old age and/or service warranties going void will usually force you to get out of your body in the future, no matter how much you liked it. The only consequences will be a radical change in conciseness and greatly enhance intelligence.

I would advise the movie (or the television show or the comic… most defiantly the comic!) “Ghost in the Shell”… that has to be the most accurate prediction of the future I have ever seen. You can download it of KazaA or DC.

16. gurglingmonkey More Amazing in RL Registered Senior Member

I think that the only thing left to do in a nanotech age would be to make up jokes. Humour might the only thing left. I suspect that only the human mind has the creative twist that allows it to be humourous. I don't believe you can write a humour program. I hope we can't, and never do.

Gurglo

17. 5th Element Registered Member

Actually, if we get to a point where we didn't have to "work" then we spend our time doing what has meant to be; explore and further scientifically understand our universe and play around with philosphy / history etc... If we have done all we could regarding those areas, then we'd be capable of producing little universe and watch it evolve

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

maybe we'll even see creatures who develop religion. and we'll observe how long it will take them move from religion to science

Round and round goes everything all over and over.

18. thinker Registered Senior Member

Nanotechnology reminds me of a book I just read by Michael Crichton titled Prey. It shows the dangers of nanotechnology.

19. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

We get nanites like apendrapew brings up in the starting post we wouldnt be human any longer. (this is not necessarily bad: read Blood Music) It would be a whole new game.

If you get ones like they have in Prey we will need to invent nanocanibals to combat them. By the way: If nanites ate the earth wouldnt they then have to resort to solar power? Would you get a whole new ecology based on nanites? Would such nanites ever evolve multicellular forms?

20. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I woudl have thought that with nanotech, the large investment necessary will ensure the patenting of all ways of bringing about the necessary chemical reactions, ie certain protein structures, or particular organisations of lasers and charged areas to move atoms and molecules about. Then there shall be less chance of us all sitting about doing nothing, because we shall have to pay for it all. the economic implicaitons of a mature nanotech are huge.

The key point, is like with GM crops: how do we give people the choice of being involved with nanotechnology or not? What level of safety and care and suchlike will be needed to ensure something like blood music doesnt happen, and prevent say me, who doesnt want to be touched by nanotechnology of the manipulative kind, meeting any of them?

I can already see nanites evolving from contact with us and the environment, but only once they have reached a level of sophistication comparable with bacteria, which fortunately they are a wee bit off yet. Gives us enough time to discuss things and work out how to deal with it.

As for different bodies, how much is our current ways of thinking due to our bodies, with effectively three brians, emotions, glands, immune system etc etc?

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes great evil and great good can come from nano and biorobotics, it depends on how we use it and how careful we are.

22. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes, we can leave it all behind, go to Pern, and create dragons.

23. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The bad nanotech will have to be balanced by the good, or defensive or palliative nanotech.
    Grey goo and red goo would need to be monitored by blue goo and khaki goo...
    so that the green goo and particularly the pink goo (us!) can happily remodel the physical environment.
    see
    http://www.nanotech-now.com/goo.htm
    for a guide to goo and paste of various hues.

and for a taste of the distant nanotech future see-