Name of this formula?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by youreyes, Dec 4, 2012.

1. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

I was just wondering if any chemists out there know the full name of this formula? C(169723)H(270464)N(45688)O(52)

I mean I know that it is actually, Methi...serxisoleucine. but I guess I was wondering is why exactly is it so long, the titin?

He is reciting it here...lets make it a habit and recite just one word every day...
    http://esquire.ru/titin

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Not only is this trolling, it is incorrect trolling.

You mean \(C_{169723} H_{270464} N_{45688} O_{52243} S_{912}\) as appearing on Wikipedia, or \(C_{169719} H_{270466} N_{45688} O_{52238} S_{911}\) as appearing in other references. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titin and compare to the hyperlink reference.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

I cut down on the long name. The point of discussion I am making is why such a long name exists in the first place, why can't chemists somehow cut down on the amount of words needed to be said and just say something like 50-threonyl,45-glutamyl and etc?

As for actual molecular formula of Titin I got that from the esquire.ru...guess they are wrong

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

The name is long because molecules are not just collection of atoms -- they are structures of atoms, and it is important to describe the structure in the name (structual organic nomenclature) so that the name conveys the information of the structure. As the molecule has over 30,000 identified structural groups of atoms it requires over 30,000 parts in its name to list them in order.
    Just listing the number atoms is not sufficient especially in organic compounds:

\(\begin{array}{l|c|c|l|c} \textrm{Formula} & \textrm{Common Name} & \textrm{Structural Name} & \textrm{Structural Formula} & \textrm{Melting Point}\\ \hline \\ \hline \\ C_3 H_8 O & \textrm{n-propyl alcohol} & \textrm{propan-1-ol} & C_3 H_7 O H & 147 K \\ C_3 H_8 O & \textrm{isopropyl alcohol} & \textrm{propan-2-ol} & C H_3 C H (O H) C H_3 & 184 K \\ C_3 H_8 O & \textrm{methyl-ethyl-ether} & \textrm{methoxyethane} & C_2 H_5 O C H_3 & 160 K \\ C_3 H_4 & \textrm{allene} & \textrm{propa-1,2-diene} & CH_2 C CH_2 & 137 K\\ C_3 H_4 & \textrm{propyne} & \textrm{methylacetylene} & C H_3 C C H & 170 K \end{array} \)

Not only are the structures and names different, but so are the chemical and physical properties.

8. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

oh ok I get it