Naked Pc?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dmcm01, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Oh no, ive got a TFT monitor! ah well, se la vi. I wont be putting my head inside a computer again thats for sure. haha

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dmcm01 Guest

well, i will, that way i can sue somone for a few million quid and when the time comes, i wont need a job cos ill be filthy rich
    and probably retarded due to brain cancer....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

That won´t be so bad, no need to be smart when you got enough money

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

how do I ground a computer (outside of the UK) when I have no dirrect access to the ground?
    Maybe I could wire it to the roof's lightning discharger

8. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I think it suffices when you put it on the floor, or any object that connects with the floor and through which a current may run. Of course the PC case must be made of metal and directly on the floor/object.

(how comlicated, mine is grounded when I plug it in. Good that iam in Germany)

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

It's on a wooden table and the floor is wood also.
    I guess that doesn't fit your schema

10. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Hmm, but it should suffice.
    I do not really know, I never had to think about
    something like that and reasoned that it should be this way.

Sorry.

But I would not connect it to the lightning discharger, that might be unhealthy in a thunderstorm.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

//grins
    EXACTLY!
    but imagine the raw power my pc would obtain for those few miliseconds!!!!

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yeah, might be a new form of overclocking.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Grounding just means having a low resistance path for electricity to travel down between where the energy enters and where it leaves (the ground).

You could run a cable from the very ground on the ground floor, up into the room upstairs if thats where your case is Avatar and connect it to the case. (however someone outside could yank the wiredown and pull your case out the window)

In the UK(And I guess Germany) houses are usually rigged with an Earth cable that runs through all the sockets in the house. This basically means you can hook up to that earth/ground cable. (It's also good for recieving radio signals, although I wouldn't suggest jury rigging incase of a lightening bolt or something)

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

well, it seems that I'd better sacriface some sheep to the godess of luck
    I live on the main street of the capital city, 20m above the ground
    there's no way I pull a cable down there (also for the reasons if some worker just yanks the cable)

15. dmcm01 Guest

well i think the UK plugs have a ground and your PC should be connected to it through the power cable then that is grounded to the CPU, then everything is touching (and therefor) grounded to the CPU via the back of the computer (nothing to do with the case) or whateve the component that is faulty is screwed onto.........because everything is metal and everything is connected
    am i right?

16. dmcm01 Guest

if you take the power cable out of the back of your PC you should see 3 prongs, the top one is the ground or 'earth' wire, that is then connected to everything in your pc............

does anyone else do these cool hidden notes?

17. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

But if you read the text, you will see that he is not in the UK.
    That´s his problem, in the US it seems they are not grounded when you plug them in.

18. dmcm01 Guest

ah yeah, i see, its those darn plugs they have, like spain or belgium, realy dangerous, still if anything goes wrong there is a fuse in the back of your Pc (i should hope, cos i have one) and that'l blow, just make sure your not touching it when it screws up!

19. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Thats really dangerous, is the 3 prong patented or something? Why they not use them?

20. dmcm01 Guest

i guess they deem it to be safe enough!

i suppose new houses could be built with support for the 3 prong system.
    (like in a spanish house i recently stayed in, but i found that nothing in the shops had a 3 prong plug with it!)

But in order for things to change

Electrical manufacturers would have to sell two different versions of the same product: (a 2 prong and a 3prong) costing them money.

Every house in that particular country would have to be re-wired to support and earth wire or else when i comes to selling it it would be unsellable becuase it would be deemed 'unsafe' by the prospective buyer.

and some other stuff i realy cant think of but im sure there are other factors!?

21. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

But Britain didnt always have 3 prong but they changed over anyway.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Actually I think the way it is in other countries is they convert the Power supply from AC to DC at a transformer near the house. (AC carries a greater distance than DC)

The American's on this board should be use to seeing their transformers up power poles, in the UK we have substations which are usually on the ground and completely sealed up with wire/fencing etc.

The other reason the UK has an Earth/Ground cable is we run 230W connections where the US is 120W, we mess with a higher power level.

I couldn't say which is better, although I guess the UK has less brownout/blackouts than the US. (Then we are a small country by comparison)

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The whole of europe probably has less brownouts.

I can't even remember the last one. It was when I was a child.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.