Naked Pc?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dmcm01, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmcm01 Guest

Hi, can anyone help me with something i was thinking about,

What would the implications be of running a computer without its casing on? (the bit that
    you remove to install a new component such as memory or a new HD)
    what effectes would it have on Cooling such as the fan for the processor etc and are there any other advantages/disadvantages?
    I guess dust would be a problem but what about static electricity or other things that can damage a computer?

(It is a vertical tower so no, the metal-casing is not required to stand the heavy monitor on!!)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Lack of casing is a bad idea. It's not just dust you have to worry about, it's all the little critters that run about your home.

I just don't recommend it at all. Buy a clear case and water cooling if you want that...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dmcm01 Guest

can an ant or a spider realy do that much damage? i'd have never thought of that! i mean there are already a load of ways for bugs and stuff to get in there....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

How do you think the term 'Got a bug in the system' came about?

I'm not sure what an ant would do inside a computer but whatever it is I'm sure it wouldn't be good. How much static would an ant produce?!

8. dmcm01 Guest

but that term was made from a huge crickety-cockroach thingy back in the days of high-voltage and valves and stuff.........but you know what, IM GOING TO FIND OUT

im off out side to find an ant...........

what would the lack of casing do to the fan on the processor, i dont think it would have any effect realy.........

9. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Thor, your obsessed (

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)with water cooling, really, unless your wanting a quiet computer or unless your overclocking theres no need. Ill hand it to you they look mental.
    I would like a perspexs box, theyre cool.

I think electro-magnetic waves would give you some health problems if prolonged exposure and not having a case wouldnt help. When I was putting my fans on I had my head next to the computer while it was running without a case and my head started to get sore.

10. dmcm01 Guest

now that scares me more than the ants...........i might keep it on and just rip a big hole in it for a fan or something now that i know that, i have an extractor that fits into a PCI slot but i was worried about my memory chips getting hot, wich they do.

im worried now, does anybody know how much invisable crap comes out of a PC??

thanks captain!

11. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

No problemo

I dont actually know if it was due to some unseen electro waves but it could have been my imagination.

You can get covers for memory that are supposed to ditribute the heat to reduce negative effects of heat. Dont know how they work.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Keeping the case on a computer is good for dealing with the dust, it can also help to restrict the airflow to follow a particular pattern rather than allowing some area's to overheat (However it is dependent on your cooling system).

The case also acts as a kind of Faraday cage in the sense that any static charge can be earthed via the casing, and it can even help to limit interference from radio frequency devices like mobile phones. (Otherwise your computer might start doing weird things)

Also the case protects your computers parts from being lost or notoriously stolen like college computers bits.

There are many cooling setups you can go for, that don't necessarily go as far as Thor's suggestion, however if your in apart of the world that suffers during the summer from heat then you have two things to worry about:

1: Heat
    2: Energy

It's all very well putting new fans in to help lower heat, but if you haven't the power, what good does it do? and if the ambient outside temperature is "Higher than room temperature(72°F or 24°C)" a normal fan isn't going to suffice sucking warm air in and outputting warm air.

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

So how do the perspecs cases help in earth static?

14. dmcm01 Guest

well i guess it might ground using the support frames like what you attach the HD to but then i cant see where it goes from there, unless it goes the the CPU and out through the plug

but it would do that on a normal system anyway wouldnt it?

15. dmcm01 Guest

Electromagnetic Interference (EMI)

All electronic devices give off electromagnetic emissions. This is radiation that is a byproduct of electrical or magnetic activity. Unfortunately, the emissions from one device can interfere with other devices, causing potential problems. Interference can lead to data loss, picture quality degradation on monitors, and other problems with your PC, or problems with other devices such as television sets and radios. These are generally categorized as electromagnetic interference or EMI problems.

There are actually two different issues here: EMI emissions by the PC, and EMI emissions received by the PC. PCs generally do not cause very much interference with other devices; they are required by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to be certified as Class B devices. This certification is used to show that the PC conforms to standards that limit the amount of EMI that a PC can produce. The only catch to this is that you have to keep the cover on the PC. This is one reason why the cover is always made from metal. (Keeping the cover on is also an important part of ensuring proper ventilation).

well i guess i answered my own question..........and prooved some other ppl right in the process!

oh and captain, i too got a headache, but i think its just from being on the floor and straining my neck in my case

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2004
  16. dmcm01 Guest

yeah i guess it is a bad idea to take the case off and here's more proof...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep the Cover On: Many people think that running the system with the case cover removed will improve cooling since the components are exposed to the outside air. In fact, this usually makes cooling worse (unless you have something silly like a big external fan blowing right onto the system unit, which is impractical, to say the least). When you remove the case, the air that the power supply fan is pushing out the back of the case is replaced by air drawn from the room instead of being drawn across the components. As a result, many components will sit in stagnant air and get little cooling.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

but hey I always thought it would be a kickass idea to take it out of the case and make a mobile out of it. you know, hang it up! You could probably rig up some stragetic fan placeage.

18. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Thanks, interesting stuff dmcm01. So I guess the perspecs cases make the computer immit more thans allowed than class b classification. I wont be getting any of those perspecs cases then.

Scary stuff that it will give you a headache just by putting your head next to the open computer. People that work in PC repair centers must get huge doeses of that stuff. Are EMI immitions dangerous?

19. dmcm01 Guest

yeah! and the spinning motion would probably cool it anyway, totaly eliminating the need for fans.........right.....*gets screwdriver*

20. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Actually I think the term likely comes from the days of large glass vacuum tubes, which do not like to be touched when hot. Especially in the way back eniac kind of days, pre-transister, the circuitry was especially sensitive to bugs and such.

At least that's my line of bullshit and I'm sticking to it.

ALLHAIL INV_NEX BELLYFEELFUL ALLHAIL DOUBLEPLUSGOOD DUCKSPEAKER HASTEIN GOODTHINK

21. dmcm01 Guest

that would depend where it is on the electro magnetic spectrum, and that ranges from
    microwave and xray
    throught to light
    and then normal radio waves,
    i think both ends of it are harmfull too so its a good chance they are

22. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Im scared, that means anyone that sits next to a computer most of the time is being constantly exposed to EMI and people that work in computer business fixing computers all day will also get serious emitions hitting them.

23. dmcm01 Guest

A mobile phone uses the stuff to send messages, thats how it works, its flying through you right now from every radio frequency - its all around us, thats why you can have a tv in any room etc

plus i think that text was about the cathode ray tube in a monitor and strangly the safest place to be is right in front of it :bugeye:

24" i think it said was a safe distance its more dangerus to be behind or to the side of it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.