Myths.

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Jaster Mereel, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

Recently, while posting in the Religion forum I posted something similar to this quote, whereby I was stating that Religion and Science do not conflict with one another when one understands what is the purpose and use of religion. I thought it was an interesting point which I made, so I decided to redirect it towards the Human Science forum to see what everyone thought of it.

The point I was trying to make was that myth is a mental tool that one uses in order to provide context to one's life and the actions of others, and that religion is the way in which myths are propogated among a society. In other words, mythology allows you to compare and contrast events, people, and things in your life with some set of stories that exists independent of your personal experience or the experiences of others.

I was contending, also, that the primary purpose of the institutions that build around mythology is the continuance of those myths, and that all of the other functions that they serve are incidental to this purpose.