myths monsters&legends

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by BLASTOFF, Nov 25, 2001.

1. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

Myths about monsters roaming the earth ,and in the sea,the legend of the Bermuda triangle the yeti e.c.t surly there must be something in at least one of the myths,what does anyone elsa think.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

Of course there's cultural significance in myths. There'll always be myths and lies that we believe, and once we have proved them to be wrong, we know a lot more about how our societies work.

But is there anything other than myth in these stories? I don't know. It seems the myths we can't prove wrong just age themselves out of context over time. It's more of a contextual thing, I guess, than reailty. But still no less interesting and useful.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

theory

I know this might seem unreal, but this is a free thought forum right?

I didn't think of this in first place, but there are books tht say tht all those monsters mentioned in ancient myths(all kinds of hibrids-sfinx, minotaur etc) are consequences of alien genetic experiments(with facts to prove it). I beleive tht aliens visited earth about 15 000- 10 000 years ago. I have studied ancient mythology(hobby) and can say tht there is smth weird behind all myths. for a fast overlook you could read one of Erich fon Daniken's books.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

The facts that Von Daniken and his ilk use are that,

1. If two things look alike they have a common cause. I.E. The Egyptians built with stone as did the Maya. Ergo they where both taught by aliens.

2. Ancient man was incapable of signicant engineering works. Ergo they where helped by Aliens.

3. Arguing from authority. I.E. If I say two things are linked, they are.

4. Myths and stories committed to paper thousands of years ago are based on real events.

5. Representational art can be interpreted many ways including evidence for Aliens.

This leads to an interesting problem to me. Who should I believe? The likes of Sitchin, or perhaps Velikovsky or possibly Von Daniken? There interpretations of ancient sources are radically different so who is right? Perhaps none of them?

If they are right in what they say The Earth was seriously affected by some Comet (the size of Venus) that came from Saturn and destroyed all life. The comet then becae Venus. The lack of evidence for this is totally ignored as the Myth is more accurate. Plus, there is a 10th planet in a 3600 year orbit popuated by a super-advanced warring race of aliens who genetically engineered Humanity. Again, the lack of evidence for this is ignored.

That both these conflicting interpretations come from the same sources is not seen as a problem.

8. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

First monster

Mokele-mbembe/ the creature said to haunt the swamps in central africa, little is knowen and not a lot is recorded on this monster,but unlike the scotish islands this place is not on the tourists trail so just maybe just maybe.

9. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Bermuda Triangle: statistically, ships and planes are no more or less likely to get lost inside or outside the bermuda triangle. Many of the ships that are considered to be victims of the triangle actually disappeared outside it.

Yeti: I don't know whether bigfoot/yeti exists; to be honest, I don't really care. What I do know is that every year, more species are discovered around the world. They can't all be tiny; having said that, it's pretty hard to wander through america and not have your photograph taken.

10. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

Bermuda triangle

The bermuda triangle is one of the most strangest thing in the world, according to legend hundreds of ships and planes and thousands of human beings have vanished between bermuda,florida,and puerto rico,this legend began with the disapperance of flight 19,those five avenger torpedo bomers that took ff from fort lauderdale on december 9 1945 and vanished with out a tracethe flying boat that was sent to look for them also vanished with out trace.

11. Doane McTork Registered Senior Member

Try watching Jerry Springer for myth debunking. Serious tweek freak monsters abound.
    Sad part is that this f#@&(ed up show gets seen by cultures around the world and presents Americans at their paranormal worst. What's the effect? Let me just say that it does not help the World Peace idea.

12. Acerbus Wanderer of the Wastes Registered Senior Member

blastoff, if you remember the mary celeste, it was found with no crew on board and no life boats were missing. if im not mistaken it was found in the bermuda triangle adrift and that was in like the early 1800s (I think)

As for the other things..well who knows maybe with so many people beleiving in these phenomenon maybe that is what makes them real? their is a short story in a book i think its caleld "Sherlock in Orbit" when doyle killed sherlock off in the final solution the world mourned him as if he had been real so doyle brought him back..anyways the story in the book is basically:sherlock holmes is real, (this is set after holmes comes back from the grave) a man from the future comes back to ask him to help figure out why in the future they still hadnt picked up any signals from aliens..well the guy brings watson and holmes to the future, holmes starts learning all kinds of theories and stuff and he comes across one that goes something like "their is a cat in a non-see through sealed box with a capsule of cyanide gas. the capsule has a 50/50 chance of breaking. according to ethe theory the cat is neither alive nor dead until you open the box and see" anyways read the story.

i have to go to class now