My [valid] XP Home keys don't work!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Nebula, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

I have 3 valid Windows XP Home keys:
    1. One on my desktop (the sticker on the case, computer came with Windows XP Home pre-loaded)
    2. One on my parent's desktop (same thing as above)
    3. One boxed copy that I bought for a computer that has since been discarded.

The only media I have is the CD that came with my boxed copy of Windows XP. A while back I reinstalled XP on my desktop. However, when I did this the Cd Key on my desktop's case didn't work (the installer just said it was invalid). I tried using the key from the boxed copy and it worked fine.

I just reinstalled XP on my parent's desktop (using the boxed CD) and I ran into the same problem. The CD Key on the case's sticker doesn't work! Again, I tried using the key from the boxed copy and it worked.

Does anyone know why this is? Right now I have two computers running XP with the same key, which seems a bit silly being that I have 3 keys for XP.

-Kyle

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Most CD's are recorded in Batches, each batch is assigned a particular number of Keys that correspond with the internal security algorythm. Apparently your OEM versions of the OS were from a different batch to the XP you purchased, this kind of makes sense since they were probably destined to be OEM copies that shipped with pre-loaded computers and therefore a different batch from those that end up in the highstreet.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

So does that now make MS see one box as pirated? Install Linux

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i found out recently that if you send microsoft a copy of windows, and an explanation of how you got it. then they send you a free legal copy. pretty sweet money making scheme if you have a believable reason that the cops cant follow up

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It won't see it as pirated, it just won't see it as the legitimate key for that particular CD.

I'm sure there is a way you can ring a number about OEM installs to get a new disc, however the usual consequence is paying yet again for something you've already paid for notibly in phone calls.

I have found in the past that it is possible to use the same CD and CD key to install the OS on multiple machines, however you might have to download the Updates from the internet before installing them. That way you can copy the update to the other machines without duplicating server load from downloading multiple times or getting logged as multiple machines on the Microsoft servers.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yea, and get in their pretty, little database.
    And how many copies do you think you can smuggle before they get suspicious that one person is sending them many copies.
    Better use a pirated Win or another OS rather than messing with MS

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think his point was he's purchased 3 keys at some point and has a legal right to that particular OS.

although saying that I've seen the OEM stickers for sale on Ebay before.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Yes, I undertsand that, I was more replying to vslayer

12. Rick Valued Senior Member

Oh, for real? hahahaha....thats cool...hehehe

13. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I think I have to call *ugh* MS and bug them.

And avatar: as soon as I sort these keys out, I'm wiping out my main machine and putting Gentoo on there

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

no, no, please don't take me for some Linux zealot

it was just a cheeky suggestion

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Yeah. Windows has their new authentication bullshit again.
    No more updates.
    Fucking assholes.

The bitch is that I have a couple of legal copies of XP but I have never authenticated them and am now using a pirated copy simply because I don't like their authentication bullshit. I don't want the hassle of having to go and beg Microsoft to let me use my software if I do any major upgrades on my system.

It's a bunch of bullshit.

Bill Gates can eat the peanuts out of my shit.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

17. Anomalous Banned Banned

My Windows Key on my keyboard dosent work in linux Mandrake, WHy ?

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Are you damaged?! IT'S LINUX NOT WINDOWS!

19. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

There are bypasses for the wga check. They (MS) were dumb enough to design the feature as an add-on so anyone could easily disable the add-on after it is installed. And the thing is, it's not even illegal to do it. It's not a crack. You're just deactivating an add-on which the software gives you the right to do.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ah.
    Sweet.
    You don't happen to be know how? Or must I search? Maybe it's in the services panel?
    Nope. Not in services.
    Guess I'll do some web searching unless someone beats me to it.

Alright. I found it. Pretty simple. In IE, click tools, manage addons, ‘Addons that have been used by Internet Explorer’, disable 'Windows Product Advantage'.

Easy peasy Japaneesy.

Good old Bill will probably change that soon though.

Anyway. Even with the wga fully active, it seems that you can still download security updates, but can't do so from Windows Update and have to download them manually. I really don't have the initiative to go looking for that link unless I have to.

Edit:

Ah-ha!
    A flaw with using the above method to disable wga. You have to have used it once already...

So. Instead. Paste this into the address bar.
    javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck=’all’)
    And hit enter.

I'm unsure if this will disable it permanently or just for the session.

Hmm.
    Well. Son of a bitch.
    The javascript didn't work.
    It made me use the wga anyway.
    Fuckers.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  21. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Hmm. I didn't have that experience. I downloaded and INSTALLED wga, then deactivated it, and then used automatic update. This was last week. They may have (and I hope not) "fixed" this workaround.

22. dmcm01 Guest

My Wine running on ubuntu passes the WGA test

lets try and help thi guy out, ill start:

FCKGW-

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Heres my thoughts on Microsoft's current "updates" and OS design.

For an undisclosed amount of time, Microsoft has been Disabling and Crippling preportions to the OS, the usually output in their Knowledge base kind of explains that Disabling and Crippling is necessary while they work on a proper patch.

What it appears they have actually been doing over that period of time however is slowly Disabling and Crippling Pirated OS's, because once they have got their patches ready and waiting, they add a new authentication to the updates process so the pirated version can't (yet) get to the updates.

This means that everyone with a Pirated version of Windows XP, thats updated to SP 2 and has had previous updates to this authentication process is potentially sitting on an OS that is both crippled and potentially exploitable by Microsoft.

Perhaps this is the new trend of Software developers, Slipping people "Mickeys" by slowly disabling/crippling their software, then releasing a Security authentication process that then allows access to updates that "fix" the disabled/crippled system if they pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.