My theory on why the universe was created

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Votorx, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

They theory is fairly simple. Infact I thought about it last night and felt the need to post it on these forums. I would like you all to respond to this theory and give me your thoughts on it. I do not wish for any vulgar statements or profanity so if my theory offends or maddens you in any way, then make your own thread where you can curse as much as you want. I haven't thought over this to much so stick with me as I may change my theory as time progresses.

Now on to my theory:

Like i said my theory is simple and doesn't require that much explanation. Every element and term can only exist if it has an opposing element and or term. For example "Infinity and Finity". Now before the universe was created there was nothing. Nothing is basically the absence of "something". Now nothing can only exist if there was something to oppose it. Without this something, nothing would be non existance, it wouldn't have a definition or a meaning. But without nothing there must be something. Therefore a small concentrated ball of matter was formed, so this "nothing" could exist. With this ball of matter laws were made, since the absense of laws cannot be so without the presence of laws. Everything took form with this concept. For example. There is life, since there is death. There is wellbeing since there is illness etc etc etc. I would explain myself more but i would rather hear what you have to say about what you've heard so far.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

i doubt something just came becuase there has to be an opposite to nothing.
    Look at the number 0 for example. -1 is the opposite of 1and (-inf,+inf)

but 0 has no opposite. and does grey have an opposite?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

Precisely, the belief in opposites is a sign of intellectual laziness or lack. 'Opposite' is simply a convienent label used by those whose philosophical knowledge is confined to "Daoism for Dummys" In reality, there are no opposites - we simply construct them because our puny minds cannot comprehend the madness of Azathoth.

That's ridiculous - first, nothing is simply nothing. In fact, talking about what nothing is is self defeating.

Now...are you seriously proposing that our universe exists because of faulty logic?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

To answer your question your gonna have to tell me what 1 and 0 are.

8. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Im not going to even both replying to your previous statement. Like I said I would appreciate it if you left such comments out or made a thread for yourself to made such comments.

Now why do you propose nothing is simply nothing? We only define something as being nothing when it lacks something in general. For example we consider space nothing because of it's lack of atoms, matter etc etc. Notice i said space not universe. Nothin can infact be defined and it is only defined when you compare it to something that exists. I seriously don't understand how this would negate my theory.

9. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

Well, scrappy, she didn't post "any vulgar statements or profanity". She simply stated it is ridiculous. Furthermore, she gave a reason why she finds your theory to be specious. So, vis-a-vis your crying and indignation, you have no right to do so, as she has yet to go against your initial wishes of not posting "any vulgar statements or profanity".

And come on now, when you post such a theory as this one, you're going to get a lot of constructive criticism and flak, and many who will be quick to impugn. Whilst I agree that censorious remarks should be checked at the door when entering this thread, but it's only right for others to impugn. That's what makes congregating so productive, the contructive criticism. Use it to your advantage, to help tweak the fibres and bits of your theory.

10. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Well since i have the majority going against me (no matter how small the majority is), i will aswer to his/her statement.

I disagree with you fully on that, i believe every inanimate substance/object has an opposite. I DONOT THINK LIVING THINGS HAVE OPPOSITES. Living things have a small complex form of free will, I believe this free will or atleast knowledge is what keeps living beings from having an opposite, but not necesarily terms, objects and every other non living substance. Prove to me that these things do not have an opposite and i may consider your attempt to regard my theory as junk.

11. WANDERER Banned Banned

The fact that you believe there is something is your first prejudice.
    The second out of politeness I will not mention.

Cause and effect, opposites is the way the mind organizes things.It is a human prejudice with little trascending meaning.

Try figuring out what to do with your life and what a good life consists of before you tackle the unknowable.

12. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

This is eactly the way I think.... even though its nothing really new. its called Yin and Yang. one thing cannot exist without its counterpart or opposing force. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction..........This is a very simple concept and sometimes simple is best. I have yet to find a conflict with this ideology. I see that other dont seem to agree with this yin and yang approach. There are many examples in life and this world that live by yin and yang. For example, Magnets have positive and negative poles, think about what would happen if there was no negative pole, there would be no positive pole because the negative pole is what makes the positive pole possible. This ideology cant be changed or taylored to control things its just helps one understand how things work. To say this is lazy thinking may be correct but being opposed to thinking thats not lazy which most of the time tends to be the mind OVERTHINKING things and turning a simple idea into something so complex the origional purpose of understanding is defeated and in the end he who over thinks is just left with more questions. Now to say that this theory Vortex came up with is how the universe was created is simply a Theory nothing more, he has found an ideology that seems to work for almost everything and applied it to the creation of the universe. Hes not saying thats what caused the creation of the earth its just a though for discussion. Everyone should try to understand what he is saying before giveing their 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  13. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Ok you mentioned the first one, so what about the second?

Opposites maybe a way our mind organizes things, but it doesn't mean that existing elements do not have opposites. For instance water and fire are opposing elements whether or not you believe that its all just part of a mental pattern doesn't necesarily mean that these 2 elements are not opposing. Their effects on each other also proposes the idea of them 2 being opposites. Or maybe you simply do not understand what opposites are...If that is the case pick up and dictionary and find out.

As for figuring out what to do with my life... you have no need to worry about that. I won't let my life go to waste like so many have.

14. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Thank you. While i never heard of Yin and Yang i really do believe that every non living aspect has an opposing element. Another example is good and evil very simple. Now sly1, if you put this Yin and Yang theory with my theory you will see if fits. Nothing cannot be possible unless there is something to define it, just as positive would not be possible unless there was a negative to define it as well.

15. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

QUOTE NEUROCOMP2003

"i doubt something just came becuase there has to be an opposite to nothing.
    Look at the number 0 for example. -1 is the opposite of 1and (-inf,+inf)

but 0 has no opposite. and does grey have an opposite?"

Sorry for my inability to quote like you all do im not quite sure how to do that so I had to do it the cut and past way.......

First of all this is easy to explain 0 has no opposite because it is the combination of opposites, like -1 and 1, Grey has no opposite because it is a combination of opposites like black and white.

That was fairly simple question to answer, i dont think you understand what opposites are..........

16. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Sly1 : To doe quotes you have to press the reply button at the buttom right of their post, it's a link that says reply. it will automatically quote their whole message, all you need to do is deleate whatever you don't want in your post.

Again I still want Neurocomp2003 to answer my previous question, what exactly is 0 and -1?

As for the grey having an opposite, of course it does, but you have to think more scientifically than thinking of grey as a thing. colors are simply how much light is reflected off a material and how much light is absorbed into the material. The more light that is more absorbed into the material gives ther material a darker look than materials that reflect more light, this is do to pigment inside the materials. To get the opposite of grey you simply need to find the exact distance between middle to grey on the light spectrum, then do the same on the opposite side of the spectrum to get the opposite. Just like reflections. to get the opposite of a line you have to make either Y or X a negative and it matters on what axes you are reflecting. Same thing applies here. If you make absorption or reflection (matters on the governing element)a negative then you will get the opposite. Just like black and white since they are they are at the exact opposites of the spectrum and so definied it isn't complex.

17. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

I know that grey has an opposite im going for my major in graphic art. I guess I was trying to keep what i was saying on a level he would understand. I didnt want to start rambling on about what it means to invert the colors of an image or thing and the color spectrum and even then if he knew what the opposite color of grey was he wouldnt believe it because you cant find it useing logic. If you try hard enough you can find an opposite to anything no matter how simple or complex.

Ohh and thanks on how to do quotes

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Maybe in Final Fantasy, but not in real life. Water puts YOU out the same way it puts out fire, by depriving it of air. Does that mean that you are the opposite of water? Does that make you fire?

Look, when they teach you about opposites in school it helps you practice your abstract thought, but surely this kind of Opposites Day philosophy was explored when you did that unit in Grade 3 or whatever. Let's think of some examples of opposites that they tend to use in school:
    Black and white
    Tall and short
    Near and far
    Loud and quiet
    All of these represent two sets of measures in the same context - reflectivity, height, distance, amplitude. So how are they opposites, when they are the same thing?

Finally, when you had Opposites Day - when everyone does the opposite of what they do every other day, or however your teacher chose to word it - there was always the one guy who didn't change anything, because he was doing the opposite of what everyone does on opposites day. Right?

Right?

Maybe they don't anymore, but when you get into this kind of logic you're going to have to answer some pretty serious questions, like what is the opposite of:
    Hamlet?
    Rice?
    Mathematics?

The opposite of light, which we would assume to be darkness by your foregoing logic, would also tend to produce light by the same logic. This is, of course, unless there is some kind of universal context detector which tells opposites when they have the right to spontaneously come into being.

Sly1: Grey doesn't have an opposite in the sense of a logical complement the way Votorx is describing, it has a colour complement in the context of our visual spectrum. This is a very human-centric definition, hence not proof of anything except the nature of our own ideas.

19. Chalaco Registered Senior Member

No truer words have ever been enunciated.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

this is actually a half-truth, the definition is what creates the opposite. In actuality, there are no opposites. Light is not the opposite of dark, light and dark are human-defined aspects of the same thing. The important thing about the concept of yin-yang is not the black and the white, but the circle around them, signifying the essential unity of opposites, or the illusion of opposition.

I object to the terms "before", "created", and "nothing".
    Nothing/something always existed concurrently. A universe without nothing/something would be permanent, because there would be no causes, and no effects, and I would not be writing this sentance. More likely, the universe is cyclical, and the cause of our big bang was a collision with another, unobservable universe.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Unfortunatelly the theory you propose doesn;t answer the fundamental question of how this ball of matter came into existance from nothing.

It presupposes that nothing responds to the theory of opposites but of course nothing can not respond to anything.

This theory rerminds me of another similar that puts forward the notion that everything was created eternal both forward in time and backward therefore no begining and no end so the logic carries that the universe was never created but has always existed.
    This theory is fine but unfortunately flies in the face of current physics thinking. IN that it fails to allow for entropy etc.

I might add that it is all well and good to suggest theories but to prove them of course is another matter.

I do admire your attempt though.

22. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Wanderer's imperative statement can't be true or false; only a good suggestion or a bad one, which has nothing to do with truth.

23. zonabi free thinker Registered Senior Member

oppositity

Votorx, your theory, although not what i think created the universe- is a good one. Your ideals are true in that there exists oppisites. But there are some faults in your words, let me expand on some of this.
    Firstly, there are opposites all around us, but they aren't just OBJECTS...
    you said, you don't believe LIVING things have opposites, only OBJECTS. not true.
    what carries the "positivity" or "negativity" or (a new term i coined) "oppositity" is not the OBJECTS or HUMANS, but rather the ENERGIES within them, around them, and inside of them. most dont realize this but everything has its own energy, or "vibes" as some others call it. other names for this are Waves(when speaking about feelings) and Auras (when speakin specifically about the person)
    See, the Objects carry their "polarity" and it doesnt change much. People, on the other hand, shift in their 'polarities' for example: Good moods, bad moods.

Now, although i dont believe that this is the directly related to how the universe was born, it doesnt mean you're wrong. But perhaps you should consider looking into the Yin-Yang theory it seems right up your alley.

some other points i wanted to touch:
    1)it was said soemwhere here that "For example we consider space nothing because of it's lack of atoms, matter etc etc. "
    i must object to this statement indefinetely- just because its black up there doesnt mean there's nothing there. there is MUCH activity in space and even in the voids that u claim to be nothing. infrared and spectral analysis bring up the most BEAUTIFULLY coloured space-scapes i've ever seen, and its in the blackest of space (to the naked eye). as an added plus, theres also black holes, wormholes, and quantum foam likely to be in this "empty space"

2) someone else said here that opposites are made-up human definitions for differentiating similar objects. This is Totally True. it is the only reason opposites exist, or to re-word more accurately:
    it is the reason we call them opposites. its all for our minds, to realize and KNOW where things belong, how they relate, or how they are different.

but with that aside, lets stop for a minute and consider the King James version of the Bible and what it said about the creation of the universe.
    supposedly there was a God, and he created the earth(something) from nothing. there is your first example of oppisites. God creates man. Then he creates Woman (for man). Theres your second example of opposites. Everything was 'Good' until the snake(bad) came and deceived adam&eve. theres #3. As you can see your theory is universal, it can apply to nearly anything, if not everything.

now, let me drop one of my theories so that you can compare and contrast:
    there is an infinete network of energies being transmitted and transferred at any given point in time and space. on ANY SCALE. example: on the universal scale you have stars producing energy that powers planets and even life. you've got comets zooming around from place to place, youve got black holes doing whatever it is they do(this is another theory- i'll post it in time!) and you've got all kinds of elements and stellar nurseries giving birth to even new ones. on a global scale you have countries sending troops across lands, companies producing products endlessly, and people having sex producing energy as well (synergy). on a electronic scale, you have one's and zero's ZOOMing in and out to different chips and computers sending voltage thru wires and transmitting their messages. on a microscopic scale you have nerves shooting electrical energy over to its opposite dendrils, giving your body the energy to lift its arm, move its leg, or open its mouth. it takes energy to do all of these things.
    NOW, just as all these examples i mentioned above, they carry polarity- although for the most part most of them are neutral or not really charged in either way. (like the computer data for example) BUT- living objects on the other hand, tend to associate feelings and emotion to everything, so objects tend to become positive or negative. FURTHERMORE- humans themselves also carry their own ENERGY, which can be very positive or even very negative. These vibes are all around us as people, and they can even rub off onto others. you guys ever heard the saying "negative energy creates negative energy" ? it is very much true.

So- trying to aim back towards your original post&idea:
    you say something only exist because of nothing. not entirely true. what i think is that with all the energies everywhere, there does exist a faint line that seperates the good from the bad. these two sides are always fighting against each other, like the Yin and the Yang- i've heard people say the symbol is two fish, each one always trying to catch the other one's tail. since they are both always trying to catch each other, the process never ends. this is what i believe to be closest to the true nature of our universe.
    So, its sort of like competition. take this into consideration:
    before alexander graham bell, there was no telephone. then, he invented it, and now there is. that can be seen as oppositity(c) at work. Now, Bell creates a telephone company and is doing Good with his ground-breaking discovery- BUT WHAT HAPPENS?? the oppositity of this new, GOOD, business causes someone else to OPPOSE them and create their OWN PHONE COMAPANY, hence they are now the opposite side of the entire equation.

my conclusion: although it is not always entirely true, forces of energy tend to oppose each other. if not instant, over time.
    sorry for the long post

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004