My road to atheism; Yours? Theist opinions?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Dinosaur, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

The comparison is completely apt. In the case of theology, deity is the subject and 'existence' is the attribute. Being unsure of the existence of it renders one agnostic, and the lack of a particular belief in the existence of it regardless of one's certainty makes one an atheist. Atheism exists on a spectrum, as does theism.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

timojin:

That's very vague. On specifics like whether God had a son, they are very different. They also differ on such basics as how many gods there are, whether these gods are all-powerful, what the gods are like, and many other matters.

Are you talking about "speaking in tongues"? That's not a proper language. It's just a form of gibberish. Analyses have actually been done that show that when people with different native languages "speak in tongues", they tend to use speech patterns and phonemes from their usual spoken languages.

We can't see the Higgs boson directly. We infer its existence from experiments and data. The same can be said for the electrons that make your computer work. If they didn't exist, you wouldn't be reading this, but we can't directly see them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Arfa Brane:From your Post #10
    Gee, I thought my Post #1 implied that I was rejecting the notion of god, not merely rejecting Abrahamic religions.
    I suppose I should have said
    When named my Post “My road to atheism” I thought I implied disbelief in all religions. I did not Post
    Note the phrase in Blue above: It did not qualify religion with Abrahamic.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EoDEo Registered Senior Member

Ok. So Christianity didn't work out for you. You failed to understand it/didn't like it. That's fine. What I don't get how does anyone rational go from- Christianity is wrong to there is no God.

8. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

There's no evidence to suggest any kind of God, so anyone rational wouldn't automatically believe in one, regardless of Christianity or any other religion.

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

We all started in believing there is somebody bigger then ourself , and the bigger then us is God.

10. timojin Valued Senior Member

My specific point about God ,The creator of life . That about other gods , going back to Sumerian culture , they called god any ruler which was powerful.

Well not all speaking in tongs are the same . There are prophesy which are in the common language . My mother had a gift of prophesy.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think you probably have to go through a few more stages to do it properly. Like: Islam is wrong. Hinduism is wrong. Judaism is wrong. Ancestor worship is wrong. Worshipping Zeus is wrong. etc. etc. After a while, you start to see a pattern.

12. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Firstly, it's "than" not "then".

Secondly, [citation needed].

13. timojin Valued Senior Member

An individual does not have to belong to any organized religion . In my view The individual have to look into nature and se the creation of nature . There had to be some force or intelligence to put it together. And the intelligent force deserves some respect and be honored,
    The primordial soup is not a good explanation, it is marginable poor for an individual with understanding chemistry.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I guess you haven't heard of evolution?

15. timojin Valued Senior Member

O heard about it an I believe in it . You have read the Torah in the first chapter , it talks about evolution a sequence from plant to man. When ot comes primordial soup then I star to question.
    Scientists now think we could find alien life in our lifetimes. Here's how.
    http://www.vox.com/2015/8/6/9108003/nasa-alien-space

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The Torah doesn't mention evolution. Evolution implies that no intelligence was needed, that's why it's so challenging to theists.

17. timojin Valued Senior Member

Do you want that the ancient Hebrew use modern vocabulary? Did you notice plants --- fish--birds -- mammals -- man then Shabos Then think , you would not have a day of rest .

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nonsense.

19. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

TimoJin: From your Post #86
    It might be more correct to say something like the following
    I was given some religious schooling without which I probably would not have invented a notion that there is some mysterious entity more important than a human being.

BTW: Many, including you, do not seem to proofread before Posting. Note the blue words above. It is obvious that you intended to use than.

20. EoDEo Registered Senior Member

Ok. Every religion/worship is wrong. That's cool too. Still, how do you get from there to there is no God? God as in the creator / the prime mover. Even if you completely ignore spirituality, intuition and emotion, I still don't get how does one go from they're all wrong to there is no God.

21. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I look at it from the opposite end: There doesn't seem to be a God; therefore all religions are wrong.

22. timojin Valued Senior Member

Could you describe what is a religion , What religion is to provide to men that is wrong ?

23. river

Belief in a being that has power over them.

No religion is necessary. Men , true Men , know what is right and wrong.