My global warming theory ..... please comment

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by iwuzfluff, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

What's correct about it?

Well, that's correct of course! But it's not the whole story...

I don't think it's an accumulation of "space dust".[/QUOTE]

Think whatever you wish. But in this case you are bucking a HUGE part of the scientific world including NASA.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They've been capturing space dust and analyzing it for many years - and also have calculated how much of it rains down on us every year.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Facial Valued Senior Member

Earth's mass is more or less the same. If one could throw every bit of oil out into space we're still talking around the order of billionths of the earth's mass.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Well, well - here comes another one that doesn't understand about cosmic dust. Oil has practically nothing at all to do with it anyway, since it's combustion products stay with us. Most of the CO2 gets dissolved in the oceans, the water is just more water and the various other compounds settle onto the ground and in the water.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. va'a Registered Member

cities and stuff gets buried due to changing landscapes.. abandoned cities get overgrown and surely years upon years of gorwth and undergrowth would slowly cover a city.. plus the wind and water can easily change a landscape dramatically in 1000 years.

man kind VS earth.. global warming is a problem to us .. the earth will be fine. it has a lifespan of god knows.. it has its own methods of dealing with problems (immune system).

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Got a link?

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Not right off hand, sorry. But I've read it on NASAs site and a few other places. Just try a quick Google on space dust or cosmic dust - you'll find links.

And I'm still rather amazed that you and several other people don't already know about it - it's really OLD news by now.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's news to me if the burying of ancient ruins (e.g. Roman ruins in Britain) are caused mainly by space dust. I'll check it out.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

On, no! I never said that! Only that the mass of the Earth has always been constantly increasing - period. Ancient ruins were buried by overbuilding, being overrun by vegetative growth, blowing dust, etc. NOT by cosmic dust, though it may have contributed as much as a few inches in the case of VERY old buildings.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think we're in agreement, then, Read-Only. And yes, I take your point that the mass of the Earth increases due to space dust; I was mistaken.

13. Looney Whaaaaat? Registered Senior Member

yeah, and don't forget about the increasing human population and the greater numbers of obese people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. draqon Banned Banned

his argument?!! I suggested it in the fist 5 replies to this thread. post#4

15. kmguru Staff Member

That is correct. It is the weather, land shift, volcano, tree growth, animal activities, human activities etc.

Five years ago, I ran the satellite cable on the yard through a metal pipe (too lazy to dig the trench). I was worried to mow that area for a while. This year, there is no sign of the pipe, there is two inches of dirt, grass on top of it.

Two inches in five years, you do the math....

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Your on his ignore list.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Huh?

Your post #4 doesn't even mention space dust.

I'm sorry if you feel offended.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

A lie.

No thanks. I have no patience for morons.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  19. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

You were partly correct. Yes, indeed, gas molecules are lost into space - but that's more than made up by the accumulation of cosmic dust that falls to earth daily as Emos and I explained in other posts.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That's what I said. So I was fully correct.

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No it wasn't. You said "...compared to the amount of mass sequestered back into sediments." without stating where that mass originated. And by including the word "back" gave the impression it was returning to where it came from.

Yes, I suppose it could be attributed to semantics but if you were implying that cosmic dust was the source of that mass, you really chose a poor way to word it.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It (the molecules freed from the crust from burning fossil fuels) did return where it came from: back into the earth's crust. Just in a different form.

It seems that your brain is prone to wrong impressions rather than that my statement was inaccurate.

23. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, NO wrong impressions on my end. I'm not at all disputing the return of those molecules, that's just elementary physics/chemistry! I'm pointing out that you still haven't said anything at all about the cosmic dust/debris - which is what's causing the mass of the Earth to increase.