"my body"... hence, i'm not my body.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by scifes, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

proof that the soul exists.

though one can say "my body dies i die, so i'm my body"...hmm pretty tricky huh?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Nope.

Words do not reality make.

Your brain is you, functionally. It doesn't make it wrong to refer to it in terms of the physical organ rather than your consciousness and selfhood.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

given that selfhood has not been established as being the independent reservoir of the brain (even amongst staunch reductionists there is controversy - some say it requires the extended nervous system, etc) it appears even your own claim is completely dependent on words (and at that, the words of others ...)
    :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Did you want to make some argument, or just throwing out another red herring?

8. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Technically, the fact that we use possessive pronouns (such as in "my body", "my mind", "my emotions" etc.) is not yet proof that the soul exists; we can say though that the use of such pronouns indicates possession, rather than identity.

Note, however, that there is a relatively frequent use of "my soul"; even the Bible abounds with it: http://bible.cc/search.php?q="my soul"

9. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

That's because your soul isn't essentially your existence as popularily thought. The soul is what we treasure the most. When counting people that are in great need we often use 'soul' to make it more personal, these aren't just bodies they are souls.

Admittedly words don't make it real, but is indeed a good reflection of how we relate and perceive ourselves (as it is - with some exceptions - the only reflection). Words and phrases often tell of a underlying truth though, that's why the particular words and phrases are used, because it touches on the truth we want to describe.

Words can't describe the contempt I feel for science as it tries to take away as much meaning as possible from anything it happens to cross, but as much contempt I have I still have to accept it, because that is the function of science. It's the job it has to do. It shows knowledge, just remember that knowledge isn't the only truth and anyone trying to pursuade that to you is just taking his job home.

10. Emil Valued Senior Member

Is no need.Descartes did it already, "Cogito ergo sum"

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It's not clear how the mind is the alpha and omega of who we are; or of what the soul is.

12. Emil Valued Senior Member

I have never made such a statement.
    I admit I do not understand exactly what you mean when talking about the mind or soul.
    I understand this.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Consciousness/soul is thought, nothing more, nothing less. When you don't think, you don't exist.

14. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Mod Hat:

Thread closed. Invalid OP.

Scifes,

Feel free to PM me if you feel like recomposing sensibly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.