Mrsa

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by mrow, Aug 3, 2008.

1. draqon Banned Banned

...yeah, thats pretty bad

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

my sympathy mrow, necrotising infacitis isnt nice but its treatable

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Do you think that vancomycin is a good suggestion for this?

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

9. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

I spoke to my mom today to see how he was and to suggest this. Apparently, he was given it through IV yesterday, but they took him off of it today and replaced it with...oh darn....something that started with a "c"....a much weaker antibiotic. She asked the doctor's why and said they never really gave her a direct answer. :shrug:

10. draqon Banned Banned

ask again and inquire why they replaced it with a weaker one! That drug is expensive, they might have decided to save it for other patients. Or maybe his condition is not as bad as I have thought. Do find out the name of that drug that starts with c.

11. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Yes, I will. Thank you draq and asguard. Sigh, this would all be easier for me to find out if I were there. It's the not knowing that's getting to me.

12. Orbit A Service to the Blind. Registered Senior Member

necrotising infacitis, i didnt think that was MRSA.
    I know its been a very big problem in the NHS here in england, we had a huge outbreak about a year ago. MRSA is disease that is carried on the skin. It can be carried by anyone and not directly cause them any harm. But when they pass it on to someone unwell, i.e. someone in an unclean not well organised NHS hospital, it can be very very dangerous. They call it the Super Bug here in england.
    I hope your dad gets better. Maybe look up some british articles about it since it has been so big I reccomend the Independant, The Guardian and the Sunday Times.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

I'll do that, thank you!

14. draqon Banned Banned

maybe its his liver that is in bad shape...and thats why they took him off the strong antibiotics...

15. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Umm...no his liver's fine. Just has an infected bug bite (now gash). My dad's in great health, cholesterol in the 170s, never drinks, never smoked his whole life, runs 6 marathons a year.

16. draqon Banned Banned

people with great health do not get MRSA, something is wrong.

17. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Yes they do, they're the ones that don't die from it usually. As I understand it, everyone has this bacteria on their skin all the time and it doesn't usually affect them, but my dad had a poisonous bite which he then scratched apparently and bacteria got into his open wound. I think that would be enough to do it, no? Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I'm pretty sure that aside from the infection he's fine. And I think doctor's would have told us by now if there was something wrong with his liver or something....

18. Orbit A Service to the Blind. Registered Senior Member

TBH, if he does have MRSA, he is most definately not fine. I can assure you that. MRSA presents with boils and blisters all over the skin, and constan vomitiing and i think eventually organ failure. If your dad is fine at this point, im not convinced its MRSA.

19. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Well he had cultures done which came back showing it was MRSA. He's only had it for 2 days now. Also, there are several various types and strains. From what I have read he would not definitely have those symptoms, especially this early, right?

20. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

It probably wasn't a Brown Recluse bite. If you don't live in one of the shaded portions of this map, you can rule it out completely.

Most MRSA infections start with a simple scratch

21. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

Thank you all for your help but I'm not asking anyone to diagnose him. His doctor's have already done that. I just want to know more about MRSA, not my dad. I just never heard of it before and wanted a better idea of what it was. If anyone knows more about the bacteria, how it works, and what makes death from it more likely, then let me know.

22. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

23. mrow Unless Registered Senior Member

There are some where I live. He was tested for the venom. Thanks though, that was pretty helpful. I never knew they had it mapped out like that. I have family all over the country so that's cool that I can tell them. And the doctor thing wasn't directed at you. Some people were saying my dad probably has liver damage or doesn't have MRSA even though he has had several bacterial cultures tested. I appreciated your post. Do you know if they're more prevalent in some seasons than others?