MRI and Welding

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Mickmeister, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

I am going in for a functional MRI in two weeks. I find it interesting that they asked me if I worked as a machinist. I told them no, but asked why. They said because if I was and welded, I would be ineligible for the MRI. I just bought a MIG welder three months ago to learn to weld. I have used it so far a max of 1 hour. They said that the danger of inhaling the gasses and deposits of metal in my lungs is what makes it dangerous. I didn't realize that metal fragmentations were in the gasses given off. Luckily, they said that a total of 1 hour of use was not sufficient to stop the fMRI. I will definitely be using a respirator in the future now.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

wow, thank you for sharing us with this health information. I guess this is sort of like the dangers of mesothelioma.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think that with only 3 months of welding and only a few hours of welding you are not in danger. I use to weld with arc welders and they really threw off some sparks and gasses when I was running a bead. They never asked me about my past so I do not think it is that dangerous as you may think.

Mesothelioma is caused by asbestos not metal so it isn't a cause for it when you weld.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It would have to be a certain kind of welding right? Underwater welders wouldn't be part of the group. Plasma welders?

I would think a welder would always wear an mask.
    http://cognews.com/1118353877/

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Oh, but the smell of that magnesium burning is very intoxicating and many welders know what I mean. In the old days masks weren't worn because they didn't know about the dangers involved.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I love the smell as well. I used to stand outside my grandpa's garage just so I could smell it while he was working. Also liked collecting the little blobs of metal.

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A good welder has no "blobs" of metal! They run a beautiful bead all the time!

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He was in his 80s. Cut him some slack
    And sometimes I think he did it just to make me happy.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wow, 80's to learn welding, that's a new record to learn welding I'd think. You need very steady hands to weld with arc but with Heli Arc you don't. Was he Heli Arcing or do you know?

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think there is more chance of welding splatter to drip down your gauntlet and sear your nerve endings so quick that you don't know you're being burnt. I've a few scares from that, Not fun to dig out the splatter either.

I would of suggested however that Grinding was actually more likely to be a threat, considering you create small "filings" that are made air born through grinding. Most of the time nowadays though people know to follow the health and safety protocols, unless your boss is too tight to get in the gear (in which case you are better off finding another job)

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I always wore proper gloves and apron that was long enough to cover my entire body.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He had been welding as long as I can remember. But he was in his 80s when I started collecting the blobs.
    He taught me to weld when I was 10, but I probably couldn't do it to save my life now. I just put on the glove, the helmet, and the rod in the clamp. Away I went.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Once my long sleeved shirt caught on fire and until I really felt the burning I didn't realize what was happening to my own body!

18. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I had a similar incident, it wasn't until a co-worker pointed out that my overalls were on fire (and smouldering) that I realised I was a blaze. It was a really awkward position to pat myself out as well (around the crotch)

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Studying to be a welder?

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I had to go for an MRI last yr and the only thing I remember them being concerned with was tatoos. I have a little one on my shoulder blade but it was no problem since it contains no lead. I don't remember
    a question about welding. :shrug:

I hope you aren't claustrophobic, I sometimes still have flashbacks and I feel my heart racing. It was a nightmare for me. I felt like I was in a coffin and the first time she put me in there she had to get me right back out because panic just came over me and I felt
    like I couldn't breathe.

21. draqon Banned Banned

no...but I will have to weld sometime in my career.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My son has been thinking about it. Most welders around here are retiring and its only a 4 month class at the local community college and then you're certified.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Open MRI have been around now for over 20 years!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!