Mothman pics (Indras Cold)

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by Magical Realist, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Only assuming that scientific explanations are the only explanations there are. In the field of parapsychology this isn't always the case. It becomes practical as a matter of continuing research to explain many paranormal phenomena in terms of spirits, telepathy, ghost lights, residual events, or even alien beings from another planet. None of these are scientific and yet they serve to explain the phenomena well without explaining it away.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Awww..Don't worry dearie. You'll be alright. Just repeat after me over and over: "Mothman isn't real. Mothman isn't real..."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Maybe it had something to do with causing the "Little Ice Age" which lasted from about 1500 to 1850.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Might indeed have contributed to the intensification. "...that summer cold and ice growth began abruptly between AD 1275 and 1300, followed by 'a substantial intensification' from 1430 to 1455 AD."

8. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Magical Realist,
    Why are you so, so adamant Mothman is "real"? Have You seen it?
    Again I have heard of it. And like I said at night many people do get there sizes "wrong".
    There is a show called Monster Quest. And there was a Mothman episode (very interesting)... Did you or anyone else see it?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I think these people saw something strange--strange enough to scare the crap out of them. Call me naive, but I give people the benefit of the doubt, particularly when enough of them report seeing the same thing in the same area. I never saw the Monsterquest episode on it. I DID see the Mothman Prophecies. Oops..There's goes my credibility..

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Definitely. A lot of people get the crap scared out of them on dark nights. Heck, some people are afraid of the dark.

That they saw something that scared them? Definitely. That they saw a flying half-man half-moth with glowing red eyes that ate German shepherds and ruined TV reception? And that was related to the bridge collapse in 1967? That's imagination.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

That's what they all saw. I take their word for it.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

A lot more people have seen Santa Claus than "Mothman." Do you take their words for it?

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

You are naive.

Your credibility was gone long before that comment.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What? People are claiming to have seen the real Santa Claus? Where did you hear this?

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

From my eight year old nephew. Who did not claim to see the "real" Santa; he just saw Santa Claus, like millions of children and adults have.

How many people have seen Mothman?

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! Oh.. from little kids who saw dept store imposters of Santa. I see..Take your meds yet?

17. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Mothman and his side kick Butterflyboy. They are sure to win out against evil and save mankind; unless someone leaves an outside light on, in which case they will just fly in circles around the light while evil escapes.

19. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Got anything else outside of Youtube documentaries, blurry pictures, and eyewitness accounts of seeing something odd? Oh, wait, it's paranormal, so you wouldn't have anything more than that. I'm open minded to more evidence, but when I get more of the same, I lose interest in the subject.

20. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Short of making Mothman appear before you in the flesh, photos and eyewitness accounts are what we are limited to. But even then see you could always dismiss it as a man in a costume like they do with the really good Bigfoot videos. Let's be honest here, there is no evidence that could ever satisfy you because you've already made up your mind on this matter. Such a phenomena is totally impossible in your conceived universe. For you over 100 eyewitnesses of the same creature are either all delusional fools or else all lying con artists just trying to make their economically-struggling small town attractive to tourists. Be honest now. What would it REALLY take to convince you?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  21. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

As I said earlier...

I've read reviews of the MonsterQuest show on Mothman, from both sides, I wouldn't waste time on it. It's more of the usual and actually doesn't do a great job of covering the history and full speculation that's out there. Basically, a ratings show, nothing more.

Face it, there's not enough to convince skeptics of this thing. I don't doubt people see things. I just don't think it could be what they think it is. The claim is on them and yourself to bring good data to the table, and if that isn't possible, then we're right where we started.

22. gmilam Valued Senior Member

This "Mothman"... Does he answer to the name of Arthur? Is he usually in the company of a rather large dude in a blue suit?

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

I'm getting a kick out of this.

So Mothman, a dog-eating half moth/half man who knocks down bridges that no one has gotten a good picture of, is real. The only problem is convincing closed-minded people of it.

But wingsuits did not exist in the 1960's. Even though I can show you one, they made a movie about them and I can introduce you to the people who jumped them in the 1960's. There's just no evidence that they existed (in your mind.)