Most Realistic Graphics Ever

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lixluke, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What is the most realistic computer animation graphics ever that includes a human in an environment? Meaning a realistic looking human in a realistic looking setting. But completely CG. And can is also #D animated. Not just a 2D pic.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

check out some of the previews for the games that will be available for the PS3. www.ps3portal.com

I've seen stills of humans in some of the games and the realism is simply unbelievable. They look like real people. Not models. So skins have gotten a lot better, that's for sure. Taking the polygon to the limit. However, I'm a bit dubious about what the screen shots don't tell you: the realism of the humans' movement and and their intelligence. That sort of technology seems to be lagging behind. I'd be interested to see how it all looks in motion.

As for the most realistic humans I've seen in games that I've played, I would say HL2.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

The best graphics I have seen recently are the ones out of the proviews for Alan Wake. The preview has some amazing graphics and ant water+sun scenes look amazing. Many of the next-gen PC games and console games look realistic. http://www.alanwake.com/

There are some 3D studios that have released short films with some realistic graphics. I'm at work so I don't have the bookmarks to link from.

Battlefield 2 currently has the best graphics but you need a really good machine to run at maximum settings to enjoy the graphics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Those P3 games are sick! The engine is amazing!

8. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

^ I will soon have a really good machine.

Do you think that, as hardware becomes more powerful, instead of making a texture of, say, tarmac, the developers could just go outside, take a hi-res pic of some tarmac and use it as a texture?

9. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Something tells me the quality will not be as good because of the nature of a digital photo where the lines are a little more "chaotic" as the colors mix. I don't know, it's just my gut instinct when working with different types of graphics.

10. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

That's what texture artists do already and have been doing for a long time. But the texture you see with newer game engines, and have been seeing with CG are a blend of at least 3 images.

There's 1 for color, 1 for lighting highlights, and 1 to fake the appearance of height. The digi photo is used for the color.

There will be no way to recreate the appearence of the real world by simply taking a regular photograph. A photograph is really just color if you think about it. There's no information about how high things are - like a pebble on the tarmac. CG needs height information because when you create lights, you need to cast realistic shadows from how high things are.

Same with how reflective a surface is, a computer needs more information than a photograph to determine how bright/strong it should reflect light at.

11. Idle Mind What the hell, man? Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry Closet, but I disagree. Both Far Cry and HL2 have better graphics than BF2. The only thing that BF2 has going for it are the player models. Landscapes and things are bland in comparison to both other games, and I would say HL2 has better models as well.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Final Fantasy: The spirits within

Completely CG but some parts gave me goosebumps...the plot sucked but goddamn... that was a huge step forward in CG development.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Quite simply the Larger amount of resources you have at your disposal the better the graphics you can accomplish.

For Instance the Final Fantasy Film had a large budget, it was even suggested that millions alone went into creating the effect of the female characters hair and also the actual character was even given job offers under the assumption that her "texture" was that of a real person.

Another Company that you'll all know for their CGI techniques is Pixar (Who also sell the Renderman Rendering software). Renderman can give you a greater understanding of what it takes to generate an artificial reproduction of an object through the amount of systems that have to work together to finish up the effect from the predefined cues generated by the graphics artists.

Due to both Computers and Games Consoles having limited resources defines how good a game engine can be, and how large the textures are that can be loaded into them.

The new Consoles (XBOX360 and PS3) should show a markible improvement on previous console games and even Low - Medium Spec PC's (Med: being 2ghz, 512mb RAM, *800 ATI Graphics Card etc) Since the consoles are near enough a "Factory default" (apart from a few upgradible features) the games/programs can be written to allocate to the resources available without the problem of having to deal with the different layouts of hardware that every PC owners has.

14. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I forgot to mention 'The Spirits Within'. Had amazing visuals. Hard to believe that it's already 4 years old.

15. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

What I meant was, use the picture as a skin for a 3d model of tarmac.

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

The problem the Alan Wake preview had was it wasn't very good at drawing objects in the distance. It went from crap model to detailed model in a heartbeat.

Movie wise, I think the CG in Bad Boys 2 was pretty damned good. When I first watched it, I had no idea the Ferrari was a CGI car for some of the shots. It looked incredible.

Spirits Within is an obvious choice. Still looks awesome. If the voice sync was done correctly and the hair acted more realistic you would swear you were looking at real people. Unlike Mr. Lard, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie.

In the gaming area, PS3 graphics looks stunning. Honourable mentions go out to the KillZone technical demo and the MotorStorm trailer. I have sat down and watched both of them over and over for many hours. The animations are incredible...I especially like it when one of the soldiers pats another solider on the shoulder as he runs past. Little touches like that I love.

Games that are out currently...HalfLife 2 is understandably incredible. Get a decent machine and your jaw hits the floor. The world in FarCry is quite special. Nicely done water and the jungles look the part. Showing its age now, more so with the console port. Here's one some of you might not have thought of; Chrome. When it first came out it looked incredible (was a flop sales wise, but a damned fun game). The worlds you fought on looked stunning. And the new Chrome game, SpecForce looks unbelievably pleasent. I love it.

Battlefield 2 does look pretty but it doesn't cut the mustard when HalfLife 2 has only recently raised the bar. Sound wise, BF2 is awesome. I love it.

What really draws in the crowds with gaming is the Unreal engine. We're only seeing the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this engines potential. I remember reading an interview with the then creators of UT2k3 and they claimed that the engine is only running at a fraction of it's potential power. It is severly limited by the current state of computer hardware and it isn't feasible enough to create a drop dead gorgous game only the 3 most powerful arab princes could afford to run.

An honourable not does go out to Area 51. Pretty linear game but I did like one thing; the way you looked into the weapons sights.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As you can roughly see, you can actually see through the sights on the actual model. And when you went to look at the sights, the model was raised to eye level and you could see into the actual sights of the weapon. Not some half assed generic sight that's basically a flat texture that appears full screen. A nice touch I think many games will start to incorporate soon enough.

Ramble Over

17. dmcm01 Guest

While high dynamic range rendering is better than anything mentioned so far....Dont forget point of view ray tracing

http://www.povray.org/community/hof/
    its not next generation graphics, its better than next gen, it can both be used for stills or animations, iv even seen oldish games like quake be rendered in it, howerver current graphics cards cant render this stuff, so its back to the CPU for now which is why you can only manage old games using this method at the moment.

it realy puts Farcry or HL2 to shame, HDR has nothing on this

also as to what styder said about resources, dont forget the 10Mb embedded Dram in the Xbox 360's R500 core, that more or less allows games to have AA and AF applied to them with basicly no reduction in FPS - fluid motion & a lack of jagged edges helps give the illusion of realism

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2005
  18. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yeah, that's what was done in Half-Life 2. The way the wood, tiles, and other objects look so real is because it's a picture of real wood, tiles, and whatnot.

- N

19. daGUY Registered Senior Member

As far as CG humans go, I know that in the movie Shrek, to make the characters look more realistic, they modeled their internals as well as their externals. So instead of just having a "shell" of a person, they actually modeled their muscles, bones, etc., even though you would never physically see those things in the movie.

20. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I forgot to mention 3D animation. So I edited the first post. What is the most realistic looking character model that can be animated in a realistic environment setting.

22. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  23. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

It was a Citroen.

"The new Citreon C5. Alive with technology"

Argh, damn capitalism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.