Mosely and the BUF

Discussion in 'History' started by Challenger78, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I only heard of it through a sci fi novel, and thats alternate history. then I discover that it was real..

I'm curious as to if any british textbooks or American texbooks refer to it.

The Guy Walter's book The leader states that if Britain was fascist, then America would have no war with germany, however, If Britain was communist, they would care.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. desi Valued Senior Member

Are you referring to World War II?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Britain actually banned this party, during WWII.

8. Jetex Jim Registered Member

As ever WIKI is a quick way of getting up to speed, or refreshing ones memory on the subject.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Mosley

Mosely was founder of the BUF

9. River Ape Valued Senior Member

I would add that the key to understanding Mosley is that he was a man born into the elite of society (he was in fact SIR Oswald Mosley BARONET), readily able in those day to choose to become an MP, possessing considerable wealth and unbridled self-confidence. He never doubted that he belonged at the top table among those governing the country. (In much of this, he resembled Churchill.)

However, his grand opinion of himself could really only be satisfied by becoming the nearest thing to God on Earth, and the examples of Mussolini and Hitler suggested the path he should follow. His success in sexual conquests probably confirmed his confidence that nothing could stand in his way.

I think I should have found his overweening egotism entirely loathsome -- but he is reputed to have been an excellent orator.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Isn't banning them a violation of rights? . they did that during WWII.