Mormon Teachings

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Brutus1964, Jan 19, 2005.

?

How has this thread effected your veiw of the LDS church?

1. Veiw the church more favorably

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Less favorably

19 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. No change

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. No more and no less than any other church out there

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Jenyar, I can't find the reference right now, but I do seem to remember a talk given by a prominent General Authority of the Church of Jesus Christ in which the following paraphrase was given:

"We are one-sided. We do not give equal time to both sides of the issues. We are not to debate the gospel, but rather to proclaim the truth we have received."​

This is a very loose paraphrase, but I think I am remembering it correctly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Oh yes, and Jenyar, Nephi was being prophetic when he mentioned the Bible. The Book of Mormon is a translation, not direct English-to-English. He foresaw that there would be a book of scripture whose name Joseph Smith translated as "The Bible" in English. I don't see why you have a problem with that. You do know the meaning of "prophecy" and "revelation," I assume?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RickyH Valued Senior Member

still waiting man

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Here is FAIR's collection of articles on Hebraisms in the Book of Mormon

Not my strong point, so I can't comment further.

No. Jesus' appearance in the Book of Mormon was not the Second Coming, nor did anyone believe it to be such. Jesus did say:

John 10:16
    And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.​

He was referring to the "other sheep" in the world whom He was going to visit after His resurrection. This was not to be the great "Second Coming," but the first, since these other sheep had not been visited even once when He made this remark.

8. RickyH Valued Senior Member

No he was refering to other jew's

read into john 10:22-42

he went into jorden after saying that...... perhaps he was speaking of people in jorden? We cannot be sure though that verse is not particularly clear....

9. Marlin Registered Senior Member

3 Nephi 15:21-24 , 16:1-3 , Book of Mormon
    21 And verily I say unto you, that ye are they of whom I said: Other• sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

22 And they understood me not, for they supposed it had been the Gentiles; for they understood not that the Gentiles should be converted• through their preaching.

23 And they understood me not that I said they shall hear my voice; and they understood me not that the Gentiles• should not at any time hear my voice—that I should not manifest myself unto them save it were by the Holy• Ghost.

24 But behold, ye have both heard my• voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given• me.

1 AND verily, verily, I say unto you that I have other• sheep, which are not of this land, neither of the land of Jerusalem, neither in any parts of that land round about whither I have been to minister.

2 For they of whom I speak are they who have not as yet heard my voice; neither have I at any time manifested myself unto them.

3 But I have received a commandment• of the Father that I shall go unto them, and that they shall hear• my voice, and shall be numbered among my sheep, that there may be one fold and one shepherd; therefore I go to show myself unto them.​

According to the Book of Mormon, Jesus visited many others besides those in the Holy Land after His resurrection.

10. RickyH Valued Senior Member

john 17:33
    These things i have spoken unto you that in me ye might have peace. in the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; i have overcome the world

he speaks as if he is done with his phrophecie's

11. Marlin Registered Senior Member

That doesn't follow. And there is no John 17:33.

12. RickyH Valued Senior Member

it might be john 16:33 for you my bible is a litle different it's a study edition

13. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Well, whatever it is, Jesus didn't put an end to prophecy by overcoming the world. Unless, of course, you want to claim that the Book of Revelation contains no prophecies in it. Just read Amos 3:7.

14. RickyH Valued Senior Member

hey man let me get back to this in the morning i got a concussion from a boxing match today

not in the right state of mind for an intellectual conversation

15. RickyH Valued Senior Member

I've been looking through my copy of the new testiment's and i have found nothing that even hint's there will be more phrophcie's from jesus' surely he would have predicted that?

now granted there is a line you said about the sheep, but there is no supporting text of that in the new testiemnt's atleast none that i have found yet......

16. Marlin Registered Senior Member

So the Book of Revelation contains no prophecies by Jesus? And what about Amos 3:7, which says:

Amos 3:7
    Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants, the prophets.​

And:

Ephesians 4:11-14
    And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ; That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;​

If God gave us Apostles and prophets till we all come in the unity of the faith, then logically we still need them, unless you can claim (and you cannot) that the Christian Church is one body which is complete and whole in unity of faith. If that were so, why are there so many Christian denominations? Doesn't sound like we've arrived in unity just yet. Prophecy is still needed to direct us, so we won't be "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine."

17. Marlin Registered Senior Member

18. Marlin Registered Senior Member

Also, in case you don't want to read these references fully through, it is very telling that there are to be prophets after Christ in modern times (the last days). The "two prophets" in the Book of Revelation are one powerful example of biblical-style prophets who will come in the latter days. They will exercise the power of God as did Moses, in that they will devour their enemies with fire, withhold rain from falling, and cause plagues to come as often as they desire, along with preaching the word of Christ to the world. They will be killed and lie in the streets for 3 and 1/2 days, then be risen from the dead and rise to heaven.

Do these two prophets count as real prophets? If so (and I don't see how any Christian could say otherwise), then there definitely are prophets after the close of the New Testament.

19. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Well, I must admit you got me there. But, * - Deuteronomy 13:1 states simply

"All this which I command you, that shall ye observe to do; thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it."

the mormon church just like the "catholic" (but the difference being your president of the mormon church is supposed to be the present day phrophet) church does this quite alot.... But, you are taking from original phrophecie's and the original one's being a major contridiction to the bible.... deffintily one being on skin color, (wehn jesus said not to persecute on origin skin type blood type or family.) now if you where to change jesus's original phrophecy then either jesus is false or your phrophet is false but if it makes jesus false then your religion is false

But, seeing as how your phrophet has had quite a few more false phrophecie's then Jesus. Im going for your religion to be false.

20. Marlin Registered Senior Member

The Book of Mormon and modern prophets emphasize the importance of racial equality. The Book of Mormon says:

2 Nephi 26:33
    For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen, and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

If you want me to go digging, I can give you a dozen or so references on LDS prophets and General Authorities giving speeches on racial equality and on the importance that every soul is precious to God and the Church, regardless of skin color, nationality, religion, sex, etc. To intimate that the LDS Church is racist is very, very mistaken and ignorant.

21. RickyH Valued Senior Member

Well, im not implying there racist. Rather that the whole "cursed by god" thing.

But regardless, despite the fact that the president of the mormon church is a phrophet, you are still taking away form the word of god on many level"s.

22. Marlin Registered Senior Member

What Do Latter-day Saints Believe About Different Races and Racism?

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all humans are literally the spirit offspring of the eternal Heavenly Father. In the sight of God, race, color, and nationality make no difference, an idea stressed in the Book of Mormon: "He inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; . . . and all are alike unto God" (2 Nephi 26:33). Spencer W. Kimball, former President of the Church, said that racism was of the devil and had no part in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus Christ came to earth to die for all humankind and to teach them how to live—to love both God and their fellow men and women. Prior to June 1978, priesthood denial to blacks within the Church aroused both concern about and accusations of racism in the Church. For more than a century, Presidents of the Church had taught that blacks were not yet to receive the priesthood, for reasons known only to God, but would someday receive it. In 1978, President Kimball received a revelation making all worthy male members of the Church eligible for the priesthood without regard for race or color."

abstracted from Cassia C. Flores, Enoc Q. Flores, "Race, Racism," in Encyclopedia of Mormonism, ed. Daniel H. Ludlow, 4 vols. (New York: Macmillan, 1992), 3:1191–92.​

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  23. RickyH Valued Senior Member

If, you will give me a good amount of time i can come with a reasonable arguement with this. So if you can give me about 48 hour's to complete this. I have just got back form temple (ehh and yes I am Jewish, but I study the new testemnt's to a very strong degree, I do not however believe any of it. My knowledge of the bible is incredibly strong in the old testement's though, and hebrew) only a few hour's ago. Feeling very lazy but, tommorow i will begin on this.

I promise you it will be a very strong arguement. Much stronger then any other point's I have brought up.