More Than a Third of the Republican Party Now Favors Putin!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

So, what the hell happened?! If the Democrats are in such great shape, why did they lose everything? You're defining them as a success yet they are the ultimate losers. Forgive my stubborn persistence, but your math just isn't adding up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Simple answer: we should not run unelectable bags of scandal for president! Hillary destroy everything, damaging all democrats down the ticket. Besides that we are right on taxing the rich, single payer, retracting the military (trump won on this verse neo-liberal hawkish Hillary), we merely need a better party barer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

And your math isn't quite clear. The way it works this year is that the Democratic candidate won the popular vote; Democratic U.S. Senate candidates, in toto, won the popular vote. Our rules do not afford presidencies according to national popular vote, nor upper chamber control.

As to changing those rules, about which I've heard some chatter of late―at least about the presidency―if anyone can get the constitutional amendment to undo the Electoral College through Congress and the legislatures of thirty-seven states, I don't think I'll be explicitly trying to stop them. Nor do I expect to be lending a whole lot of help to the effort, because I also think if we don't settle a number of questions about the idea of States' Rights along the way, we'll end up in one of those dumbassed American internecine shooting wars. Seriously, traditionalists bawl because they can't exclude people they don't like from human rights; what are they going to say when we take away their slavery-era compromise bulwark?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No, you are making a straw man. I didn't say Democrats are in great shape. I said they are in far better shape than Republicans. Even though Democrats lost the presidential election and Republicans retain control of Congress, Democrats picked up seats in both houses of Congress. Democrats picked up seats that were formerly held by Republicans.

And as previously pointed out to you, the Democrats won more votes than Republicans did. Hilary Clinton won nearly 3 million more votes than the Republican candidate, yet she lost owing to the undemocratic aspects of our government, i.e. the Electoral College.

Your problem is my math does add up. The fact is Democrats are in the majority, and their support is strong within key demographic groups. And the fact is Republicans are strong only in one demographic group: a shrinking demographic group, older lesser educated white men. So while Republicans now control Congress and the presidency, the long term prospects for the party are dire.

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Yes well winning the popular vote and a few extra representatives and senators is NOT winning the presidency or control of congress, worse the 2018 elections will have more democrats up for re-election then republicans. For democrat majority (which is true) to be actualized into government majority we need to get out the vote, we need energizing electable populace candidates. Despite shrinking demographics republicans vote more (and yes repress democrat voter turn out), will hold their noses and vote for even the likes of trump.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I didn't say Democrats don't have problems. The do. But the problems Democrats face aren't fatal. The problems Republicans have are fatal. The undemocratic aspects of our government which favor Republicans will eventually fail.

Democrats need to get out the vote in certain geographical areas. They need to bring out the vote in the Rust Belt. That's the problems Democrats face. Were it not for a few thousand votes in the Rust Belt, it would be an entirely different story. Hillary would be going to the White House. The big problem Democrats face is the rise of fake news. Fake news is the most dire problem the nation faces. Fake news is why Trump is headed to the White House.

Now comes the hard part for Republicans, they need to deliver. If they don't, they will be out in a few years.

10. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I would say they have already died, Trump merely took over the brainless husk of it, sprouting forth from its head like a cordycep mushroom. Trump trampled the republican party with a variety of non-republican ideals that range all across the political spectrum and this likely will twist the republican party ideology in a new horrifying direction, no longer an ideology of small government conservatism but some kind of anti-principled hagpog of nationalism and pro-worker scapegoating platitudes ("it's the trade deals and immigrants fault") and that kind of ideology has a rather nasty history.

No Bernie would be going to the white house, for bernie would have won the restbelt.

DECADES TOO LATE!
    The republicans had been digging hillary's grave for decades now, in plan sight no less, the solution as we did in 2008 was to NOT make her a candidate for president, thus wasting all the republican effort and leave them flabbergasted and confused with a candidate they do not know how to strike at. There is no way to get rid of fake news: it is its own economy now of clickbait that feeds narratives and bullshit, specialized to its own audiences on the left and the right and everything in between!

Years since the rise of Fox News its puttied cancerous residue has metastasized, mimics arising from its odious slim trail, ever mutating and evolving on the model of bullshit pedaling, going so far across the political spectrum to Gawkier and it's anal polyp subsidiaries on the left. This disease has penetrating deep into ever other news network traditional and new, all of this compounding into the puss filled rotting mass of so called "Mainstream Media"... and yet now you complain about "fake news"? The only reason you complain is because that very fake news is now making fake news a news issues, riding the trend, generating clicks, just as the right wing media is now doing the same over "flag burning".

We should have dealt with the problem of fake news in the naughts, now it is to late! Now all we can do is lie back on our hunches, eyes glazed, imbibing what little facts we can siphoned out of the fecal cacophony, sucking off the floppy supple extended cloaca of this gigantic amorphous tumor of a news media, because we have made our stinking festering insect riddle bed, and we will lie obediently in it as the nation grow dark into Trumpism ignorance.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is the present incarceration of the media, "fake news" is just one of those pustules on its flesh.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

There's nothing new about it. The Republican Party has been launched in this direction for your entire adult life.
    Limbaugh and Gingrich and the like came up in the late 80s and early 90s - the Left, including the libertarian Left, has been making a priority of that issue ever since.