"More" Infinite ?? Universe

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Detroit Guy, Sep 6, 2004.

1. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

If the space is infinite then why is it so that universe is only in one part of it ?

If that werent so then we should get light from allover form all time

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Krill Registered Member

The universe is no less than 75 gy in size, topologically speaking. At least that is what WMAP shows.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LostInThought7 Registered Senior Member

"If the space is infinite then why is it so that universe is only in one part of it ?

If that werent so then we should get light from allover form all time"

I'm sorry, but why would we be getting light from all time if there was no boundaries of space? I really can't seem to follow that logic...

"The universe is no less than 75 gy in size, topologically speaking. At least that is what WMAP shows."

Though I am ignorant in this subject, I truly am curious...what evidence supports boundaries to space? A link would be nice, if you don't wish to explain complex things to someone as ignorant as I.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Krill Registered Member

"I'm sorry, but why would we be getting light from all time if there was no boundaries of space? I really can't seem to follow that logic..."

This is a apparent reference of, or parallel notion of Olber's Paradox. Olber contended that if the universe contained an infinite number of stars, the sky would be infinitely bright. This proviso, however, would hold true only if the universe were also infinitely old. Some would argue that the universe could still contain an infinite number of stars, but is not infinitely old, hence most of the light has not had time to reach us.

"Though I am ignorant in this subject, I truly am curious...what evidence supports boundaries to space? A link would be nice, if you don't wish to explain complex things to someone as ignorant as I."

I'm not aware of any direct observational there are any physical boundaries to the universe. The 75 Gy [billion light years] came from a study of the WMAP data. The researchers were looking for evidence the universe wraps back around itself. No such evidence was found, hence they concluded the universe could be no less than 75 gy in size [which was the limit of sensitivity of the study]. Here is the paper
    http://www.physics.montana.edu/faculty/cornish/PRL01302.pdf

The universe does, however, an observational limit, or boundary so to speak. The visible universe ends around 400,000 years after the big bang. It was too dense prior to that to allow photons to travel about through space. What this essentially means is the visible universe ends for objects with a redshift greater than about z=1100... which is the redshift of the cosmic microwave background [CMB] thing that was plotted during the WMAP study discussed in the article referenced.

8. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Let's look at it this way.......The universe is a big as your imagination can imagine it to be...........

Atta Boy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. jkimbo Registered Member

Why do you believe the universe is infinite? It had a begining, and will likely at some point have an ending. However don't worry, our universe is still very much in it's infancy.