Monsters from the deep 'heard'...

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by wet1, Jun 15, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

»» FarShores CryptoNews

Posted: June 13.02

Monsters from the deep 'heard'

Mysterious giant beasts may lurk in the darkest depths of the ocean, making whale-like noises that are baffling scientists, it was
    disclosed today.

Researchers have nicknamed the strange unidentified sound picked up by undersea microphones "Bloop".

While it bears the varying frequency hallmark of marine animals, it is far more powerful than the calls made by any creature known on Earth.

In 1997, Bloop was detected by sensors up to 4,800 km apart, New Scientist magazine reported.

That meant it had to be much louder than any recognised animal noise, including that produced by the largest whales.

One suggestion is that the sound is coming from giant squid, which live at extreme depths of up to four km.

Although dead giant squid have been washed up on beaches, and telltale sucker marks have been seen on whales, there has never been a confirmed sighting of one of the elusive cephalopods in the wild.

The largest dead squid on record measured about 18 metres including the length of its tentacles, but no one knows how big the creatures might grow.

However Phil Lobel, a marine biologist at Boston University in
    Massachusetts, US, doubts that giant squid are the source of Bloop.

"Cephalopods have no gas-filled sac, so they have no way to make that type of noise," he said.

"Though you can never rule anything out completely, I doubt it."

Nevertheless he agrees that the sound is most likely to be biological in origin.

The system picking up Bloop and other strange noises from the deep is a military relic of the Cold War.

In the 1960s the US Navy set up an array of underwater microphones, or hydrophones, around the globe to track Soviet submarines.

The listening stations lie hundreds of metres below the ocean surface, at a depth where sound waves become trapped in a layer of water known as the "deep sound channel".

Here temperature and pressure cause sound waves to keep travelling without being scattered by the ocean surface or bottom.

Most of the sounds detected obviously emanate from whales, ships or earthquakes, but some very low frequency noises have proved puzzling.

Scientists believe many of these - given names such as Train, Whistle, Slowdown and Upsweep - can be explained by ocean currents, volcanic activity , or the movement of Antarctic ice. Bloop, however, remains a tantalising mystery.

Story originally published by:
    The Sydney Morning Herald / Australia - June 13.02

All Copyrights © are acknowledged.
    Material reproduced here is for educational & research purposes only.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/cmon021.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

In order to hear 4800 KM apart, the monster has to be swimming between 300 feet and 900 feet to catch the "deep sound channel". It could be another group of whales we have not seen that use these channels as a communication medium.

OR the radioactivity might have made super whales? remeber those old movies....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Or ...

It could be an occassional hydrate bubble.

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Why do people have to imagine the least likely possible?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Because people have a wild imagination..? :bugeye:

It probably will turn out to be something like Kmguru says...A group of Whales which are not known yet, seems the most likely to me. For one reason or another people think they've seen it all. Well, there is a lot going on deep in the Ocean, humans have not seen yet. So why shouldn't there be a group of Whales (radio active mutated or not

) swimming there..?

8. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

A wild imagination is one thing, but why does it so often result in something
    fearsome? Like the "Monsters from the deep 'heard'. Mysterious giant
    beasts may lurk in the darkest depths of the ocean" bit?

Is nature, the natural world, that fearsome a place for most?

Take care

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

Chagur:

Not fearsome to them, but not exciting enough. It is, apparently, not "cool" enough that the earth is billions of years old and contains the most wonderfull organisms.

Those of little imagination will often make ridiculous claims because that which a scientist finds fascinating is not "enough" for them. It is not awesome enough that intelligent life may exist elsewhere (elsewhere!) in the universe.

No, we have to have "aliens" abducting and raping folks.

Peace

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

No it is not. Nature has the most wonderful Beings inhabitating Her. It's just a way newspaper people have to draw the attention from the narrow minded readers in some way or another I guess. It's a rather stupid way, for people who are interested will read it anyway. It was the way this article came in and due to the copyrights I had to post it just the way it is.

The Natural world is as old as Earth herself and not a fearful place. It is wonderful...just look at all the Beings here on Earth, in Nature. Humans should break free a little more from their material luxury and spend a little more time in Nature.

(and please, let them leave their food and drink supplies at home or at least make use of trash cans to drop their trash in and not make a big trashy place out of Nature. Sorry...I couldn't help myself....had to write it in...

)

11. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Xev
    "It is not awesome enough that intelligent life may exist elsewhere
    (elsewhere!) in the universe. No, we have to have 'aliens' abducting
    and raping folks.
    "

So what you're saying is we're into scaring ourselves for the hell of it?

Banshee
    "Humans should break free a little more from their material luxury
    and spend a little more time in Nature.
    "

Maybe the reason they don't is because being closer to Narture means
    confronting the dangers that their 'material luxury' protects them from,
    may it not?

Take care y'all

12. Xev Registered Senior Member

Chagur: Yeah, more or less. Also, it's simpler.

I think we're evolutionarily inclined to think of new organisms as "monsters". Safer to be scared, you see?

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Sure, if you prefer the noise of all that material welfare and are afraid of the sounds of Nature in which it may happen that a person actually feels a kind of thought and inner peace coming along. Than it is rather dangerous. Used as every person nowadays is to the noises of traffic, blenders, micro-waves, telephone wires, radio's, refridgerators, even a toilet, it can only be dangerous to let yourself out in the wilderness of the Woods in which "strange" creatures, like rabbits, deer, snakes, birds and so on, are living. I should take the Ocean for an example, not everybody knows how to dive into the deep, though. Guess the Ocean is even more dangerous...

Now, listen to the noise around you. Even if the computer is all what is on, in the room where you're at, then what do you hear?

14. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Xev
    I think we're evolutionarily inclined to think of new organisms
    as "monsters". Safer to be scared, you see?

Sorry, I don't. What do you base your supposition on?

Banshee
    "strange" creatures, like rabbits, deer, snakes, birds and so on,
    are living.

Hmm ... Snakes? In this neck of the woods there be rattlers and
    black bear. Neither of which I would care to confont on a 1 on 1
    basis. As for 'noise', I have fifteen acres of wooded land on a
    seasonal road where the nearest neighbor is a quarter of a mile
    away ... and still the sounds of 'civilization' intrude (aircraft mostly).

As for the ocean being more 'dangerous' ... I tend to think of it as
    more unforgiving. I've ridden out a hurricane while at sea, but I'm
    damned if I'd want to try riding out a tornado.

Take care, y'all

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It's just that so many people see so much danger where there is none. Nature is not dangerous, just because people do not go there or do not know about it. It's the knowing for which or what you have to be careful and watch out. This is something completely different than just talk monsters or other crap.

Snakes and black bears shall differ from which part of the country you are living in I think. No black bears here...

Sounds wonderful where you live.

It's a shame you can not turn off 'civilization' for a little while and just hear the sound of the woods...

16. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Poetry versus Real Life

Nature is beautiful --but it depends on which side of the frying pan you are at. You are looking the matter from the human safe point of view. Humans are dominant --if they keep Nature at bay.

It depends in which stage of the food chain you are: If you were a fly you wouldn't find beautiful a tarantula. Deers do not find beautiful wolves and lions, small fish (and fishermen overboard) don't find beautiful the sight of a white shark.

As you know, Banshee, I have spent long periods exploring and surviving in the Amazon jungle. I can assure you there is nothing beautiful when you see a "bushmaster" sinking her teeths into your tigh (and knowing you have just five minutes to inject yourself about 200 cc of anti-"lachesis mutae" serum -- or you are history), or seeing an Anaconda dragging an indian to the bottom of the river, as I have seen it and experienced. Or see an indian mother cry over the remainder of her son killed by a jaguar.

But let us not get so dramatic. Just living in the jungle --Nature at its best-- is nothing you could call "comfortable", or "easy", or "beautiful". Mosquitoes, sandflies, bugs of any size and shape, huge "fire ants", "marabuntas", parasites in drinking water, amoebas, schistosomiasis, anchilostosmiasis, leishmaniasis, malaria, yellow fever, dengue, - - - - - - - (please fill in the blank spaces with thousands of other diseases), will make you think otherwise.

Ancient explorers baptized the Amazon jungle as <b>"The Green Hell"</b>. And that is very close to the truth. So leave out poetry, sitting peacefully behind a computer keyboard in civilized Europe. Go into the woods --the real woods-- and let us know later what did you find...

Rememeber my webpage on the Amazon I used to live? (Captions are in Spanish, sorry for that).

Click here and see the <b><A HREF="http://mitosyfraudes.8k.com/photo.html">"Lodge anaconda"</A></B> in the Bolivian amazon jungle.

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes Edufer. Of course Edufer. Whatever you say Edufer. Jesus, are you a nitwit. Do you really think I do not know that? Are you arrogant and you take my words out of context and you know it. I meant it sarcastic, this quote you so happily take wrong:

You fool, then read it better. And who is sitting comfortably behind his computer here and tries to make a hell out of every post and everything I post in here? Not me, I know better, I only post.

The people who are speaking about The Green Hell should stay out of there. Natives who live there know exactly what to do, they live with the dangers of the Jungle. What were you doing there anyway??? Research...?

Take it easy man and don't attack immediately if you do not know silch about me, you do not even know where I live...:bugeye:

At least I do not search the damn internet for websites which I claim to be the absolute truth. Ever been in the Alps? The big mountains which you can find in France and Switzerland? Ever been in the Black Forest in Germany? (don't know if it's the correct name in English and I can't care less about it.) Not only in the Amazon is Nature. It is everywhere and everywhere there are inhabitants, which you have to deal with. What a crazy idea to compare yourself with a Fly. Do you feel like you are a Fly in the human world Edufer? Lots of "Tarantula's" out there, in the human world. It's just the way you look at it.

Bye for now, talk to you later when you have settled yourself peaceful behind your computer again...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2002
  18. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Whoa, Banshee ...

Was there really a need to dump on Edufer as you did?

Your 'Bambie View' of Nature can be quite irritating at times. If you know
    better, have a realistic idea of how dangerous nature can be, why do
    you perpetrate the 'Bambie View'?

Take care

19. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

This fool says: Or, for instance, <b>express your self better</b>. Actually, every one of your posts try to make a hell of the world we are living, while facts prove the contrary.
    Unless you are a liar, your location is Lothlorien. And I know a lot about you: you describe yourself very accurately every time you write your posts. Either you start expressing yourself in a very different manner, or we will keep believing you are hopeless case of a green neurotic lacking a solid scientific base, that's talking as a "hornet ox" (Buey corneta, in Spanish), that is, repeating what the biased media say without checking the facts.

Yes, I have. When I was living in Stuggart (Vahingen) in 1972, I spent a vacation in the Schwarzwald in a beautiful village called Scholach. I stayed at the "Schneckenhoff Gasthaus", where electricity was installed just the year before, when the owner passed away and their sons thought that living with candles and kerosene lamps was not a good thing to keep doing.

I also spent many months at the following places (in chronological order):
    In the 50s: Córdoba and Buenos Aires, (Argentina), Paris, Rome, London, Madrid (I was a little boy then).
    In the the 60s: Marambio antarctic scientific base (Argentina Air Force, as a practicing student in meteorolgy), Patagonia (Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes, in Argentina), Washington D.C., New York city;
    In the 70s: Caracas, Panama city, Lima, Iquitos (Peruvian Amazon), Manaus (Brazilian Amazon), Tirios (a mission in the border between Brazil and Surinam), Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Santos, back to New York;
    In the 80s: Quito (Ecuador), Wichimi (a Jivaro indian village), back to Córdoba, then again New York, Sao Paulo, Santos, Santa Cruz de la Sierra (Bolivia), and Urubichá, a Guarayo indian village.
    In the 90s: Between Córdoba and Santa Cruz de la Sierra/Urubichá, guiding eco-tourists.to the jungle. Also fishermen and hunters. Then San Diego, California, Los Angeles.
    In the 2000s: the economic crisis ruined our business and have kept me in Cordoba since then, although I am ready to move back to Bolivia and resume my guiding job in the jungle. These are places where I stayed long enough (more than four months at a time). Touristic trips are not included..

Why should they stay out of there? We are just telling about what we saw and lived. And we happen to like the jungle, Green Hell or Pristine Paradise, as it is. Of course, it is not the best place to live, but it is not the worst, or course. I rather live in Urubichá than Amsterdam, for instance, or even Paris, London or New York for that matter. Those are cities I had to travel for business needs, not for pleasure --I hate cities, as you surely must have noticed. I presently live in the country, a ranch (or farm), where we raise good cattle and grow GM soybean, corn, and wheat.

One of the reason I am not at the sciforums all the time is because work in the ranch starts before the sun goes up, and finish when the sun has been gone for some hours. My very short minutes sitting at the keyboard for debunking junkscience is my reward, and another way of keeping me away from becoming crazy.

And yes, from 1970 on, all my travels and expeditions to the Amazon juingle were for making research on some subjects for the Cordoba National University (on Anthropology, ethnology --indian music, handcrafts, uses and costumes,-- forestry studies, local economical and health related research, always along with professors, technicians and specialized people. I did the photograpic and video taping job). I was then what you could call a "millionaire", and funded the expeditions because the University didn't have the money. Now that's gone, we are poor and can barely sustain ourselves after the government (following strict orders from the IMF froze our bank accounts and stole all our money). I live in a very real world. I have stopped reading poetry. Once more, I have started oiling my guns and stockpiling ammunition.

She needs to do that in order to relieve her pain. Don't worry, paranoia is a most likeliest result of smoking too much pot. <i>Ad hominem</i> attacks is the only reason left when all other arguments fail.

By the way, <b>"nitwit"</b> was the way Moe used to call Curly. I love it.

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It didn't work out very well for Bambies mother did it?

No, has nothing to do with my mother. She is more of a Tarantula...

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I am a liar! Maybe you should read a little more in books in stead of only the internet.

Whatever you say/believe.

How do you know? You only post in Earth Science. I express myself the way I want to on a message board. How I do that is entirely up to me.

Case closed. Bye...

22. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

So you are a liar. <b>We already knew that</b>. I also post on other forums, too, and most of the time refrain to answer your posts for obvious reasons.

The way you express yourself in your posts is not entirely up to you, but also to us who must try to interpret what you are saying. And what you are saying, well... it is intepreted by us in the way you intend us to do. Don't blame us if we interpret you in a way you don't like. <b>"You'll recognize the tree by its fruits" </B>says the Bible.

23. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Ok, I apologize. The name Lothlorien is coming from The Lord Of The Rings, I bet it shows up when you type it in, in a search program.

It was only because of my son playing games online that I got the internet, in May last year. I am guilty at becoming a member of SETI, in the month after we got internet and stumbled upon Sciforums in August last year.

I post articles in Earth Science yes. Not to argue about them, though. I am not world strange and have been in several parts of Nature, in several countries yes. I don't want to write it all down. That is my choice.

I apologize for coming down so nasty on you...

EDIT: If you'd really read everything, you should know by now that I don't live in the Netherlands anymore. I live in the US now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2002