Monk vs Monk!

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Sep 27, 2007.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

No. Here watch. Is it possible that you could be hit in the head a falling airplane (or meteorite or struck by a lightening bolt) if you go outside? Yes, these things could happen. Are they likely to happen? No. Do you believe they are going to happen to you? No you don't, at the most you would say there is a very very small and remote chance that it could happen. But yes you would agree, people do get hit by falling airplanes and sometimes struck by lightening, etc...

You can acknowledge the possibility such an even could happen while not believing it is going to happen to you.

Lots of people buy LOTTO and scratchys believing they really are going to hit it big one day. And you know what, the possibility exists that they may hit it big, but most never do.

Michael

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Before something can be probable it must be possible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm I never look up to see if the sky/a meteorite/lightning/an airplane is falling, because I don't believe it is possible (very low probability). I don't buy lottery tickets because I don't believe I can win (those who buy them do believe it is possible for them to win), mainly because I know the probability is very low.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, belief precedes action.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

That may be true most of the time. People sometimes do not believe they have a shot at something, go for it because of perhaps external pressure, and end up getting it - even though they didn't think it was even possible.

What is true all of the time is
    (a) something must be possible to have a probability of occurring and
    (b) the concept of beleif and the concept of possibility are different.

Michael

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

You may not believe it is possible you are going to be hit, but you acknowledge it is a possibility - people are hit once in awhile. It does fall within the realm of possibility. And I think we can agree it is possible to win the LOTTO, regardless whether you believe you will or not, people do play and do win. I even buy a ticket a couple times a year and I like to give scratchys along with B-day cards because people have fun hoping they will hit BIG!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Heh, I guess this is a philosophical difference. Personally, I don't believe in lotteries so I never buy tickets.

11. draqon Banned Banned

same here...its just a waste of money and hopes

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

OK, its true that the odds are you will lose. But the reason I brought it up was because it's a good example of the difference between beleif and possibility. Or so it seemed.

anyway, for $1 the chance at 50 million is good for a day of dreaming even when you lose it was still fun

I buy about $4 worth of lottery a year except when I used to live in a share house. Then I tried to get everyone to pitch in a make a dinner once a week. So I picked a day when everyone was happy to watch a show on TV and also the lotto was drawn on that day so I got everyone who wanted to, to pitch in 20 cents or whatever for their share of the prize - and you know, everyone was always excited to see the draw

So it was good fun..

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So you believe in luck, huh? Well I believe in karma. Easy money is not for me.

14. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The holy TV with its religious rituals, the portal to a better life. The bringer of wisdom. The TV which brings us fortune.

praise the TV.

give it a place central in our lives. We work so we can go home and pray to the mighty TV.

we make the TV a focal point of our home. We watch the TV bringing us enlightment. We offer the TV our time and money.

It clouds our minds but we will not give up the act of worship. We need to fill the empty void in our lives.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Family Guy - must .. .. .. see ... ... .. Family Guy... .. ..

*TV*

Yes, feel hate swelling in you ... ....

18. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Who? Fortuna? Shes OK, not really that hot though.... I tend more towards Aphrodite myself.

Did you know Japan has 7 Luck Gods. Seven. Good old Lucky number 7. The number of main islands that made up Atlantis. The number of circumambulations made round the Kaaba in Pre-Islamic Arabia - 7 may even be the number of heavens.

Seems like Lady Luck may play a bigger role in our lives than we thought - huh???

Anyway, back to the topic, so now that we agree that there is a difference between the concept of beleif and the concept of possibility, is it possible that there is no God, Mohammad was not the Last Prophet and the Scientologists were right all along?

All Hail Xenu the Intergalactic Overlord!

Michael

19. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

It is rather sad isn't it? Maybe even scary.
    There was a big share-accommodation for backpackers down the road from where I used to live. So many British there - always drinking and partying and raising hell. I used to stop into the bar there and just hangout and meet people. Anyway, one day I noticed the whole place had been quite for some time. I thought maybe the owner was shutting the place down. So I stopped in and asked why things were so dull. He said he bought cable TV for all of the rooms. Now, the backpackers no longer go to the common room and share dinner and get drunk together and raise hell but instead take their meals back to their individual rooms and watch cable TV. He said the cable for all the rooms was way cheaper then cleaning and fixing all the stuff these Pomies were breaking.

So you can add:
    TV, converter of the lively partying Pomies into the docilist of sheeple :bugeye:

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You assert that people have seen 'visions' of god. Theists understand their gods from their indoctrination; parents and family.

Or, are you really asserting people see visions of their gods?

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I mean vision in a metaphorical sense.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Heh, you should stop reading crappy blogs.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Uh, we disagree. As I said, IMO, possibility is the belief function of uncertainty.