Mods Gone Wild

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Gustav, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If free thoughts wasn't the best place for it, the Cess pool was a worse one.
    It was worth discussing, and was getting some good posts.

Why it was locked is a mystery.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

If it was worth discussing, it should have been posted into the right forum to begin with.

If you leave a sandwich on a table in the library where you shouldn't be eating, someone is going to throw it away. They aren't going to wrap it up and put it somewhere else for someone to eat.

Garbage intent gets garbage treatment.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Well said.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Is it really such a mystery?

8. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

No, it's very obvious,
    SAM

9. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

So if SAM posts a thread it may be moved to the Cess Pool, and then locked, even if the content of that thread is well considered and non-abusive, and the subject of the thread is valid.

Sorry if I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head round this.
    I don't really understand.

10. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I don't know about causation, in fact, I'm not even sure about correlation - but off-hand, one does seem to follow the other. Often. But then again, SAM posts "often", so - :shrug:

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Presuppositions

It has to do with a standing presumption that S.A.M. is incapable of posting in good faith, or for any other reason than to piss people off and be a terrorist. That appears to be the official outlook of site administration and some of my colleagues, despite evidence presented to the other.

And if other people choose to drag S.A.M.'s threads off topic? It's her fault, not theirs.

12. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Now who's being dishonest, hmm? Or are you just gonig to play ignorant?

She's even stated that she's choosing which forum to post in DUE to the moderation, not the topic. Here is her response when Enmos moved her thread, which was political, to Free Thoughts;

I call bullshit. She knows exactly what she's doing, and you do too.

Despite your assertion, we are intelligent human beings. It's blatantly obvious what she's doing, because she's doing it in several fora. It's intellectually dishonest, because she is attempting to circumvent the system because she believes it to be bunk and then insults the moderator who calls her out on it.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Say you are trying to train a dog with bad habits.

Lets say you give it a tap on the nose every time it does something bad and you say very sternly "bad dog". Yes, I can see a point in that

But then say the dog does nothing bad, but you still tap it on the nose and say "bad dog". All you are going to do is confuse the animal.

It would be a very poor way of training a dog, and it is an equally bad way of training SAM.

14. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

When said dog chronically misbehaves over years of ownership and upsets the whole house, a shock collar might be in order. Doesn't matter that they behaved for three days, or that it brought you your slippers once. Some dogs never learn despite being 'tapped on the nose' and one day you find that the shoes that have been disappearing are chewed up and buried somewhere in the yard, under the couches and there is a pile of dog shit in the middle of your living room. And it's chasing the cat.

In that case, you take it to a trainer, the pound, or in extreme cases... the vet to be euthanized.

(I do find it interesting that the first analogy you used to be that of a dog, however.)

15. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

sam is no dog. humans don´t want to be trained that way, and trying to do so is quite disrespectful. further i would like to point out ... even if sam would be a dog, it´s up to the owner to train it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

That assumes a dog is a lower status animal.

I disagree, and so would Diogenes.

Gustav too probably, since he spends a lot of time pretending to be one.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I chose a dog because a dog can be trained. You can tap a cat on its nose for years on end, and it will still do as it likes.
    If SAM is like a cat, there is no hope of training her.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  18. Pinwheel Banned Banned

I think she is a cat.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Now its hate speech to compare German citizens living around concentration camps to Israeli Jews living near Gaza.

Were all German citizens Nazis? Isn't that "hate speech"?

20. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Wow, James R has gone TOO far by interpreting that so liberally and in pretty much whatever way suits him.

He did that to me in another thread a little while back. My reply to him was as so:
    I think it applies here as well. Quit casting aspersions on people's motives just because YOU expect it.

21. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Do you expect a dog to bark, a cat to meow?

Something are just in people's natures. When you have 65k+ posts, it's not hard to judge the nature and intent of someone's posts.

Really. Weak. Argument.

22. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Nay, yours is the weak argument libeling. Basing future moderation actions on your expectations of someone is innately biased. It also allows no room for change, if you continue to interpret that person's behavior as badly motivated when for others, that same behavior is perfectly acceptable. In the end, they are going to stay as whatever you are intent on perceiving them as. Why would you do anything else, when your perception of their behavior is based purely on the expectations you have conjured of them?

We have a name for that. It's called self-fulfilling prophecy.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  23. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I am 100% sure that many of the moderators here have given S.A.M more leeway than has been allowed other posters. They've issued warnings and given her AMPLE opportunity to self-correct. Four years worth of warnings and re-directions. Four years of extra attention they don't extend to other users.

Do your homework before you make false claims of her not getting the benefit of the doubt. She's had the benefit of the doubt for more often than any other poster to date. Unfair to the others who don't get the same treatment, mind you.

It's a matter of pragmatism now. I dismiss her posts from my experiences with her as do many many others. She's intellectually dishonest, purposefully divisive and incendiary in her intent. She even admits being the thorn, but then claims she needs special treatment because she's always right.

Expectations based on copious amounts of experience is not the same as expectations based on perception, wouldn't you agree? I don't have these opinions because of who she is, but based on 65k posts of almost exactly the same behaviors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.