Mods Gone Wild

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Gustav, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Actually, skaught, I think the journey into fantasy land is yours in this case. For good or bad, people do, in fact, come here, they do get upset, and I would wager that from time to time they even receive a modicum of happiness as well. (of course - sci, happiness - in the same sentence... well... anyway...)

People also pick up knowledge, socialize and even engage in rational discourse. (no really, it has happened, remember that one thread a couple years back? You know, the one where people were calm and rational, traded knowledge and built upon ideas? Yeah, that one...)

Regardless, Sci does affect people's lives, whether it "should" or not remains open to interpretation.

Without getting too deep into what constitutes "reality", I would ask you this. If you walk away from your computer, how many members of Sci can you name from memory? 25? 50? How many of those can you ascribe attributes to? SAM for example? Or maybe James? Do those name evoke any sense of understanding or knowledge of the person behind those monikers?

Regardless of whether they are on-line "personas", or a reflection of an actual personality, these "people" do influence us, probably even you Skaught. Afterall, when the day is done, what we have here is simply another means of communication. We are talking with our neighbors, whether they be next door, across your continent or half-way round the world. And our neighbors, do, in fact, influence us - they always have, today, yesterday, last year and a millennium ago. Why should it be different now?

Instead of questioning one's sanity for allowing the internet to affect our thought processes, instead I would question someone who is not affected by the ability to talk to people world round, to develop friendships, to feel sad when things go bad for your friends and to be happy when they marry, graduate, lose their virginity or acquire a couple of new kittens. What say ye?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Well you bring up some interesting points. I will admit that I do think of this place and people here when I am not here. But it is such a small and nearly insignificant piece of my life. Of course I appreciate being able to talk to and get to know people from all over the world. And I'll even admit to having been emotionally affected by things that have happened here. But not to the extent where it interferes with my well being, or daily life. I just don't think its worth getting worked up over something as obscure as a forum to the point where it effects your mental condition throughout the day. Especially when you are not currently logged on.

I have picked up a lot of knowledge from this place. But acquiring knowledge and being emotionally affected are two very different things. And if I was not able somehow to continue to come here, I would find many other ways to acquire knowledge

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Probably only about 10 or 15. And of course I have associations when I think of them. But I do not know these people. I don't see them every day. As I speak right now, I am at work, and my co-worker Bruce just came in. I adore the man and I see him every day. We have many deep conversations and thinking about him invokes much more powerful feelings than thinking about anyone here.

Of course I am affected. But only minimally. Obviously I get something out of coming here, or I wouldn't come at all. But I come here only when there is nothing else for me to do. A last resort so to speak. I appreciate everyone here and their contributions. The point I am trying to make is that anyone who lets this place affect their daily lives, and their mental stability may have a problem, and may need to spend more time in 3D world.

I feel like I could have explained things better, and I apologize for the many spelling errors, but I am at work and need to get off. I'll elaborate more later. Looking forward to your reply.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

It would seem that there is not much to reply about, in this case. I think we are in agreement, all that is left can be referred to in a matter of degrees, rather than absolutes.

I think you said it best by:
    Which can be said about anything - alcohol, drugs, sex, TV, etc. The only thing I might contest is a bit of paradigm shift - to me, Sci (and the internet in general) is part of my "real" life, not separate from it. I mean, I spend time here and as such this place represents a segment of my life. I don't look at it as "different", rather simply as a different "aspect" of life. Other than that, I think we agree on things...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

Your a good dude man. The few times we've chatted, Ive always enjoyed it.

eace:

8. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

9. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

i never understood why people claim internet isn´t for real. i tell you man, i´m for real. trust me, i´m not just an imagination of yours.

10. draqon Banned Banned

oh but you are.

11. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

insult.
    but you aren´t sam, so you don´t have to worry.

12. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I'm not saying that your not. But I've never met you, don't know you. Don't know what you look like. Will more than likely never ever see you or get to know you, so why would I let something that you say upset me?

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Hay... how did you get hold of my 9th grade pitcher.???

14. Gustav Banned Banned

ah, dumbfucksci

looky here
    the maggot james reponds to randwolf's question as to why i was banned with....

"Gustav's been SAM's puppy dog for a while now. And he's never liked me much. Mostly he's harmless though. Mostly"

/growl

15. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

I understand both perspectives on this. I understand the forum in general should have no effect on anyone’s life outside of the forum. Having said that, there is a conflict of principal when a site/forum poses as fair and just and acts unaccording with the claims. This being a science forum I would assume hypocrisy would be a target for all.

Now the level to which the perceived injustices are taken here may or may not be necessary but I believe it’s the principal of the matter that gets under peoples skin enough to post threads like this.

It makes one feel on eggshells or thin ice with their word choice or topic content when there is no real clear black and white method of law. If the law is above itself then credibility is lost and suddenly people who have otherwise enjoyed sciforums start to be turned away or put off by the perceived injustices. Some of these people have interesting opinions on subjects that if sciforums was without would turn the discussion base here to a very static always the same consensus that really doesn’t enlighten anyone at all.

I have extremely thick skin and find the whole insult thing a little silly but necessary to keep threads on topic, otherwise with some of the immature posters turn threads that started off with intellect, derail into cesspool status.

I PERSONALLY have never had a problem with the mods here, however I have questioned their actions on some issues. (deleting topics and relocating into cesspool/pseudoscience) no specific examples as I don’t have the desire or time to tread through the past.

Everyone makes mistakes even mods. The overlying issue I believe is, “some” not all have a personal issue with admitting when their wrong and correcting their mistake.

Aside of all that goes on here on sciforums lives outside continue and do so without sciforums having any effect. At least they should. If you see a problem with something that doesn’t sit right with you there is no harm or problem in pointing it out no matter how insignificant. Pick and chose your battles though as some just aren’t worth it.

16. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

Don't remember any such incidences...wait..maybe. But you know..what? I arrrrt even wilder!

17. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

a sign of the times for sure.
    i just wish i knew where all the intelligent people went.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I thought it was refreshingly honest.

19. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh, frikkin A, silly! I haven't gone anywhere!

Joking!

20. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

LOL

it seems all the people who can put their ego aside and discus something seem to have shifted to a different planet and i missed the last flight out.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Something, something, something, say huh?

Maybe.

it's a one-way ride to the end of the universe please leave your mind at the back of the plane golden dreams that you can't imagine never awaits you inside your brain chill today ten million miles behind you will find orange circles of a southern sunrise reflected through a blackened haze clocks are stopping behind the clouds appearing only to your gaze timeless echoes of green with shifting seas in silhouette sudden flash of the brightest sun and it hasn't even happened yet it's a one-way ride to the end of the universe please say goodbye to the back of the plane there'll be screams like you can't imagine never awaits you inside your brain chill today ten million miles behind you will find run around your sun god and i'll paint you all in time catch baby dinosaurs and see how well they ride there are wonders you have seen with your lover and yourself greeted by obscenities like a working chosen elf it's a one-way ride to the end of the universe please say goodbye to the back of the plane golden dreams that you can't imagine never awaits you inside your brain chill today ten million miles behind you will find orange circles of a southern sunrise reflecting through a blackened haze clocks are stopping behind the clouds appearing only to your gaze timeless echoes of green with shifting seas in silhouette sudden flash of the brightest sun and it hasn't even started yet it's a one-way ride to the end of the universe please say goodbye to the back of the plane there'll be screams like you can't imagine never awaits you in side your brain chill today ten million miles behind you will find what you will find

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  22. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

*~{LiKe}~*

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Five warnings at once!!!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.