Modern society and suicide

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Adam, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Tell me this: If life is good in modern, industrialised nations, if the standard of living is so great, why are people killing themselves?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I think this is a possibility...

The more technologically advanced a nation becomes, the more free time people have. The more capitalism develops, the less influence the poorer people (the "poor dumb masses", the great unwashed, the inevitable result of class polarisation) have over their own lives. Long story short, we end up with bucket-loads of people with far too much time to think about how their lives are not directed by them as much as they might wish.

What else is there in modern industrialised societies to blame? The education system? Kids are shipped off to school for standardised education, away from their family for most of the waking day for twelve years or more. That is unnatural. That is not the human way of growing up. Coupled with the possible despair of the previous paragraph, we have entire generations of kids growing up as parts of classes being processed by formal education systems, rather than growing up and learning with their families, with people who are supposed to be caring for them.

Maybe these things have nothing to do with it, maybe there is a lot more to it. I don't know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

there is more to it than that

why is NZ got a WAY higher rate than the US

8. proycon Registered Member

Youth nowadays has a hell of a lot of psychological problems, more than people imagine... In my opinion stress is the most common cause, leading to other problems.. And stress can be any kind of stress, but it is most likely social stress and stress of achievement... Many kids have a negative self-image and feel they have to live up to expectations that aren't reachable.. also the media has a great influence here since it shows images of 'perfect' popstars etc...

This leads to kids feeling inferiour, because of physical or mental aspects.. it can all cause the stress that might lead to drastic things such as suicide... This stress is of course put here by society, and mainly capitalistic influences (survival of the fittest, competition, exploitation)

People aren't as clear anymore about their values, about their goals in life.. It's not as simple anymore as it was when the world was dominated by religion.. People have to find out more for themselves.. but in a world of exploiting, deceiving and competitive nature that can be quite hard..

Also I think increase in individualism is a cause here.. people are getting more and more on themselves.. Also because of TV and computer games, which can when use excessively turn into 'the only thing worth living for' and they can even be a big educational factor (but then in the bad sense)... real contact would have to be stimulated...

I think the bottom line is that kids need to get more in touch with reality, be less pressured, and receive far better education regarding life-lessons, values are getting far too vague.. And without a solid foundation, it's hard to build a firm building... and it might even collapse entirely...

They teach a lot of things in high school, but hardly anything about life itself....

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I have very rarely felt angry just sad, just EMPTY

i would LOVE to be angry, because that would be SOMETHING

i am going to post a quote from another thread

This is why it is not the cowards way out, because courage requires HOPE which is exacty what depression lacks

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I know suicides in Canada have a high rate because of Native American suicide rates which are huge. Why? My former geography teacher argues that an Indian teen in Canada is living in a society where his/her culture has been destroyed and they have to see a former way of life dead.

11. itchy Registered Senior Member

proycon,

Well said. I think you have identified the problem exactly!

12. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Ever heard of the priorites pyramid or something? The higher general quality of living goes up the less people are worring about things to keep them alive and more about emotional and relationship issues. So the higher quality of living goes up a contrasting rise in suicides probably would be apparent if one were to research it.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i think its more than just that

you ever heard older people saying that life is getting faster?

its not just that they are getting slower

the stress is MUCH higher now than at any time since the depression

could it have something to do with the fact that we seem to exist to get jobs?

everything is pushing that you MUST get a job, then a better one

in the end are we any better than slaves?

14. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Yeah, you notice besides your name one of the questions asked to people the most when you first meet them is "What do you do for work."

Oh yeah and I almost forgot High School students: "Where are you planning to go to school?"

Kids: "What do you wanna be when you grow up?"

15. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

I dont think that is is. I mean, when was in appropriate NOT to work? I can see for women, but men were ALWAYS supposed to work, but before, you worked to survive. Now, we work to obtain stupid unnecessary things we think we need to make us feel better. Which doesnt. Materialism sucks!
    Nowadays, with technology and all, things are getting way too unpersonal. Families fall apart faster than anytime in history. Drug and alcohol and crime rates are off the charts. Life would be alot better if it wasnt such a ratrace and everyone just slowed down and looked around at what life DOES have to offer. This is a beautiful place we live in. There are tons of stuff to do for enjoyment. I dont know, life sucks but at the same time only WE can try and better ourselves and see life for what it really is.

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There is always that push, if you accept it to go for the better job. The key is to know that you don't have to accept that push. If you are happy with the job you do, the key is recognising it.

If you find yourself in an untenable situtation, find out what you hate about it. Learn from it. When you arrive at the point of recognising it coming, look for what turns it off. It is called self protection. I find refuge in canoeing. The peice of mind, the solitude, the challenge, is all a mind thing. It repairs the stress of the week, it centers me. Then the stress of the following week is negilable. That is what I do to relieve the stress that builds.

These refuges are available to anyone. It varies depending of the individual as to what is the stress reliever. We can not get off the world and slow down. You keep up or you lose out to someone else who will. That is the real world. The key is to find that you like, be the best at it, and find refuge that gives you peace and relieves any stress. This helps me eliminate depression before it starts. It is how I center.

I hope that others may find some key here that helps them deal with the world. If it does then you will find all right with the world...

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

that maybe a choice as you get older but i can say its not really at my point in life

EVERYTHING seems to revolve around work and EVERYONE seems to think money is the purpose of the universe

i wish they would all leave me ALONE for 10 min

sometimes i think the world is spining so fast i am going to fly off

18. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

$

No everything doesn't revolve around money and material possesions, even though a lot of people think that way. If anything life revolves around our relationships with others, at least that's how I see it. Material Possesions aren't important, the lowest thing as human being can do is kill another for his money.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i agree

so why dose it feel like i am being PUSHED into something i totaly disagree with?