Modern engineering marvels of the world

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Magical Realist, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

The tallest, straight up/down part of the Kingda Ka roller coaster looks like a fairly scarey marvel... but being part of "Six Flags" of NJ probably scrapes the shine off any record holding title. And with an artificial peak like the Burj Khalifa in Dubai existing, the evolving "goal post" for the ultimate, sci-fi roller coaster might be an expectation that unjustly shadows an existing, legitimate giant like Kingda Ka with: "Momma, will they ever have a Terror Ride At 2,722 Feet built during my lifetime?"

From the standpoint of various engineering marvels throughout history, I wonder which holds the record for claiming the most lives. The 20,000+ lost during the French attempt to build a waterway across the Isthmus of Panama would surely be a top contender. Except that the project didn't even succeed after nine years and all those graves. I suppose the Great Wall would be the champion, if estimates that it killed a million workers are accurate. But it wasn't anymore the scheme and unbroken enterprise of a single Chinese dynasty than it is literally a continuous wall.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. leopold Valued Senior Member

i can only think of 2 or 3 modern day marvels off the top of my head:
    1. Apollo/ saturn 5.
    2. integrated circuits.
    3. the artificial island and associated hardware constructed by the japanese.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The internet.