Modern day Albert Einstein?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Steven Genieus, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John99 Banned Banned

medical advancements are quite profound a sell. just think.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

i still cant believe the micro processor has been invented. no offense but it just seems TOO advanved for the civilization.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

i dont believe in aliens, actually i should say 'do not believe aliens have visited earth, it's just too damn far' but that cpu came out of left field. IMO.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

they got (have) tv screens that you spray onto a wall with an aerosol and stick some wires into it. anyone seen that?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Maybe grandfather. The father was Leo Szilard. He came up with the idea, you know...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Anyhow as to the original question, the answer could be that knowledge became so huge, that scientists need to be specializing in one particular fields. 200 years ago one could be the master of 4-5 different fields, nowadays it is pretty much impossible...

9. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

Quite right, I was thinking it was Fermi but it was Szilard.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No. He's 68 and just retired from Cambridge.
    There's no such word as "theorologist" so I assume you mean "theorist." Science is all about theories!

Stephen Hawking is a world-renowned theoretical physicist. Theoretical physics is about as heavy as science gets, so yes, he is not just a scientist but one of the top handful of scientists in the world.

Hawking is the leading authority on quantum gravity and black holes. He and his colleague Roger Penrose built upon the theory of relativity to prove that singularities can exist in the space-time continuum. All the mysteries in science in our era seem to be in the realm of cosmology. Hawking is the world master of cosmology. This puts him in a class with Einstein.

Einstein did his first groundbreaking work in 1902. How many years was it before he was recognized as a genius by scientists, much less by laymen?

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Okay, I have to ask. What grade that that get you?

12. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Well I daresay Steven knows that, but it is a decent enough expression for getting across what he means. "Speculationist" might do equally well. Hawking differs from scientists who have received a Nobel Prize in that he has not offered (or at any rate been the real originator of) the sort of mathematically verifiable (by experiment or observation) hypothesis that the Nobel Committee requires -- unlike, for example, Albert Einstein.

Nonsense! Hawking's accomplishments in science would be unremarkable if the media had not turned him into a bionic rock star. His fame tells us plenty about how the media operates and his disability creates a good story. His best-selling book falls way short in readability of the works of others.

I don't understand this comment. Einstein was quickly recognised by his fellow scientists, and in 1919 at the age of forty (when the General Thoery of Relativity was confirmed by observation) became the world's most famous (or should be word be "publicised") scientist. (This may have been in no small part because much of the world's press, then as now, was Jewish-controlled, and they enjoyed lauding one of their own.)

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Going back to the original question, the dude who invented Segway... he has dozens of other inventions, the latest is an artifical arm for amputees....

One could count Steve Jobs of Apple too...

14. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

There won't be another Einstein in our lifetimes that we know of; highly doubtful anyway. The wagons have been circled and non-mainstream work is no longer allowed, as it puts grant money at risk. The loners who work as a hobby (as Einstein originally did) are shunned and those in the industry who help them are blacklisted. For example, the guy who solved Poincaire's Conjecture did manage to get recognition after posting on a math forum, which was somewhat of a miracle, but he wouldn't have been able to post his work on Arxiv, the "reputable" online repository. I imagine the wagons have been tightened to remove the breach he got through.

15. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

A+. Why?

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Unfortunatelly, the arguments you provided were weak and the example was actually against your POV.
    There can always be a genius and there will be. After all Einstein was rather limited in his field too, as compared to Edison or other inventors working on different fields...

Furthermore, because of the internet (unlimited accessable knowledge) and the recognition of early education (players playing like they were 10 years older) we had a much better chance to have geniuses. But there might be less things to discover...

17. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

Dude!! If Einstein was in the majors, Jobs wouldn't even be in little league. Einstein caused a paradigm shift... comparatively what has Jobs done?

18. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

Key words: that we know of. Yeah, Einsteins might be more likely today to exist, but it's less likely that we'll know of them.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Ask any Mac fanboy, dude! (I am not one by the way)

Beside making a company topdog TWICE, revolutionized computer technology and the way we use computers....

But anyway, I got curious about modern day geniuses, so here is a list:

"The top 100 living geniuses was compiled by a panel of six experts in creativity and innovation from Creators Synectics, a global consultants firm.
    The company emailed 4,000 Britons in the summer of 2007 and asked them to nominate up to 10 living people who they considered geniuses.

Each genius was then awarded scores out of ten against criteria which included: paradigm shifting; popular acclaim; intellectual power; achievement and cultural importance."

Modern day top 100 geniuses:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1567544/Top-100-living-geniuses.html

It is probably safe to say we have more geniuses then ever, because of the already mentioned reasons and well, we have WAY more people than 100 years ago...

P.S.: The Google boys are #20 on the list....

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

World population was around one billion in 1800 and hit two billion in 1920.

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

Because everybody who has really studied science knows that it was Rutherford who first 'split the atom', so for you to credit that to Einstein seems rather ill educated.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I know. If you throw in better educational resources, we could easily say the number is on the square compared to old times so we have about 50 times more geniuses then in 1800....

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I guess there's some symmetry to that, since we obviously also have about 50 times more morons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.