modern armor and defense

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by James Kidder, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzerzhinsky Communist Registered Senior Member

I say a device which produces and electromagnetic vaccum around the person. Inertia is the result of mass interacting with 'virtual photons' or random occurances of electromagnetic waves which blink in and out of existance in space. Read this link for more information.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/6583/project289.html

Without these 'virtual photons' objects lose their inertia. By creating an electromagnetic vacuum around a human, all projectiles would lose their inertia as they pass through the vacuum, and even the fastest, heaviest projectile can bounce off an unprotected human being without exerting a force on him.

A person with that kind of armour can take an anti-tank gunshot at point black range right in the chest and still survive.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DarkProphet648c Registered Member

I don't think the "human tank" concept is completely out of the question. Yes, wearing 300+ lbs. of various metal alloys an inch thick would greatly hinder the fighter's speed and agility. However, what if you were to modify it into a form of "power suit" that would disperse weight or use hydrolics or something to increase the wearer's strength. I believe the U.S. army is developing such a system for their 2020 Future Warrior System, that would grant the wearer greater lifting abilities and they can carry a greater load (whether it's a really big gun, or, say, maybe a 300lb suit of armor?).

I got the following text from http://www.gizmag.com/go/3062/4/

-text start-

Another potential development is inserting "nanomuscle fibers" that can actually simulate muscles, giving soldiers more strength. Fabric is impregnated with nanomachines that create the same weight, lift and feel as a muscle. "So I coat the outside of the armor with a nanomuscle fiber that gives me 25 to 35 percent better lifting capability," DeGay explained.
    The uniform from the waist down will have a robotic-powered system that is connected directly to the soldier. This system could use pistons to actually replicate the lower body, giving the soldier "upwards of about 300 percent greater lifting and load-carriage capability," DeGay said. "We are looking at potentially mounting a weapon directly to the uniform system and now the soldier becomes a walking gun platform."

-end of text-

Though non-armored soldiers with such a system will have "superhuman strength," anyone wearing heavy armor with this system would probably move similar to a regular, non-armored fighter that lacks this system, which would be acceptable in that at least they could move quickly which makes a "human tank" seem like a feasible idea.

Come to think of it, our current tank technology (referring to the ones on tracks now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) allows us to have super-thick and EXTREMELY HEAVY armor on the vehicle, yet a powerful enough engine and a good suspension system allow the tank to zip around and do all kinds of off-roading as if it were a common ATV.

That's how I like to look at it. I'm thinking we'll have gundams running around on the battlefield in the near future (except they won't be robots and they'll be the height of a human, hinthint). ^_^

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Facial Valued Senior Member

I have a question : is the Charpy V-notch test any indication of a substance's ability to stand up to bullets?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

8. Facial Valued Senior Member

9. Facial Valued Senior Member

I have some more household ideas:

1. LDPE-HDPE trash/grocery bags (respectively), laminated every other layer, to 3 inches thick.

2. Aluminum cans, normalized with oven temperatures, cut out and laminated into sheets, perhaps with a laminated combination of the PE's described above, to 2 inches.

3. Laminated paper, soaked in paraffin, to 3 inches.

4. Laminated paper and PE (as in #1), to 2 inches.

5. Steel tightly laminated with glass, to 1.5 inches.

6. PETE laminated in combo with glass, steel, aluminum, etc.

I wonder if any of these are bulletproof.

10. Chiraque The Bob Registered Senior Member

That's how I like to look at it. I'm thinking we'll have gundams running around on the battlefield in the near future (except they won't be robots and they'll be the height of a human, hinthint). ^_^

Yeah but could we actually make huge humanoid machines with people in them? Would they be useful or would they be a liability?

11. Chiraque The Bob Registered Senior Member

12. DarkProphet648c Registered Member

I was trying to imply that we make armor suits for the soldiers that they actually wear and it fits to their body rather than a giant mech or tank or whatever. I was hinting that I see the armor being based off the style of gundam armor to give a sci-fi feel to it, and make them seem more like warriors than soldiers, which would be cool, wouldn't it? Personally I'm not so sure about having actual "giant mechs" for combat. Seems like an expensive and risky venture. Let's just stick to enhancing our human combatants and improving on war vehicles like tanks. In the case I'm trying to describe, the "human combatants" would fall under the tank category, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.