Moderator Needed... Apply Within

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by goofyfish, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bells Staff Member

Ermmm Tiassa, are you trying to sound like George Bush to get the votes from the right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I mean moderating for the Politics forum and all....

Next you're going to start saying 'nuculear'.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Don't oppress me, m8!

And it is nuculer. The "s" is silent!

Get with the times, crakhed.

(I hope you realize I'm merely enjoying the sarcasm of it all. It's not necessarily the need to get votes from the right--that's a hopeless cause. But I live in a country filled with onomatopoeic comic books, and whose people survived an overdose of George Michael in a band of that name, and they still think the word is "wam!" Watching someone write poor colloquialisms is a bit like watching a gangster try to be tough and say, "Capiche?" while dressed in a pink tutu with "hair gel"--yeah, that's it ... it's hair gel--dripping from his ear.)

Besides ... I'm not officially campaigning yet. I'm merely "representin' the hood.°"

° representin' the hood - I actually have no qualms with the 1990s abuse of the word "represent" aside from my general objection to any overdosed term. Can't stand it, but at least it was decently used in its punch-and-judy variety.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rick Valued Senior Member

I am not much of grandiloquent charracter myself,but i do believe that Colloquialism has degraded to some extent in English.I would say,British english is the purest form of English,But still there are traces of accent in it.I think Accent free Language is the purest form of it.English relies on Accent,since it needs it,because of lack of Alphabets to pronounce certain words.Sanskrit or Hindi in this context are more complete.German is one other language you could say has a sense of words for which english has no synonyms.
    Perhaps that is why,Germany has plans to make Sanskrit the Language of Computers,because of its Non-Ambigous and Pure Nature.Even Latin i think has some ambiguities(if am correct),but Sanskrit.No.None of them.

bye!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

goofyfish,

I hope is still multi-choice voting.

Hathor,

Whats your problem with me?

8. Hathor Banned Banned

you will never know cos the goofball keeps deleting the posts

9. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

It’s a sad day; I pronounce it like that.

10. Hathor Banned Banned

tiassa

Lemme axe yew a kestchin: Should society evolve on the merit of its least capable?

that depends. we do not have a counterpart of the "Acadamie Francaise" that ensure purity of language by preventing contamination. neither do we have stalinesque types that sit on their thrones censoring language and compiling lists of approved words. of course i am now aware of at least one candidate that aspires to sit his "porcelain ass" on that throne

what we do have is dynamic and fluid conditions under which language evolves naturally. this ensures flexibility and allows language to keep up with social and technological advancements. i do not mind reform. nothing radical however and definitely never for frivolous reasons

Really ... it just amazes me that people put so much effort into justify their forays into the lifestyles of the dim and misguided.

what can i say. amazement is an affliction the staid and conservative typically suffer from. as for the "dim and misguided"...your idiosyncrasies and fragile emotional states is hardly my concern

I realize that consistent spelling is too much to ask of a culture in general,

envision a procedure where one "asks" a culture to do so. alternately, you could simply get your rocks off by bashing your head against a brick wall

..but something about using a colloquial dictionary to establish the legitimacy of a colloquial degradation of a colloquialism strikes me as just odd.

it is simple as "alternate spellings". those with even the barest modicum of intellect and imagination should be able to accomadate the variations. unfortunately tho i know of no way around pigheaded attitudes

Colloquial dictionaries exist to explain the twisting of conventional communication taking place within the vernacular. They don't legitimize colloquialisms as proper communication.

a better example of a myopic outlook on life would be hard to find. it appears you are trapped in a timewarp. ie: what is, always will be.

lets look at french and its evolution. this is a language that make culture vultures practically orgasmic (change yer pants, boy!) they assume this language has always been and yet fail to recognize it is nothing but a "degenerate" form of latin. it appears the culture vultures of that period failed in their mission to halt the spread of that disease. we all know the status of french now.

of course it would be bereft of me if i did not touch on the hypocrisy of these vultures once again. they appear to be quite happy with colloquials that had been established at some distant past. it appears the criteria is one of antiquity and inclusion in "literary works".

Bad 'nuff to be poor nigger massa, widout hab his shin kick, said the boy. 1880 J. C. HARRIS Uncle Remus (1881)

oed

an honest attempt at consistency demands you engage in some wagging towards yourself. i must confess to feelings of disgust now. hmm, i also feel the need for a nitpick

frikkin illiterates dumbing down shit. it is spelt peugeot. i would not be surprised if, as a consequence of the spelling, you articulate the "t".

justify its usage as a description of a homosexual. show me how it is a "functional evolution" of language. indicate how you are not a dumbed down victim hoaxed into using a degradation of language.

There was a time when the letters in a word indicated something about its phonetics despite local accents.

and which mythical period do you refer to? get specific. i tire of these halfassed assertions.

What, can nobody say "laugh" anymore? Does everyone say "laff"? Of course, up here, people think you're English if you can say "laugh."

hmm. a whiny temper tantrum. you visibly deflate

Of course, if I was a real culture vulture, I would be on a campaign against "wh."

you lack focus. you are on a campaign. your issue? kapeesh vs capiche

But "kapeesh" to me is a little like "fuk" to a 7 year-old. It looks correct phonetically, so that's all that matters, eh?

pathetic. i see no need to indulge your irrational idiosyncrasies and unsophisticated attempts at belittlement

I just wish people would put some effort into their attitudes. That's all. Aside from that, I'm perfectly willing to shake my head and chuckle as the menagerie wanders blindly past.

you wish? that is some delusion. this effort you speak of is one where it is never adequate enough until the attitude perfectly coincides with the one you hold.

you omitted the wagging of a finger. it complements the head wag. try it out. i hear nirvana could be found in such a state

Americanisms abound in the English language. But come on ... adaptation to accommodate those who cannot spell the colloquialisms they use?

what do you actually do about this issue apart from rail impotently on this board? do you plan on taking down, one person at a time?

I do admit to a certain snobbery.

why? it is apparent to all and it is not as if you are confessing some deep dark secret. personally, i think you try too hard. see, those that do have class do not parade it in the gaudy manner as you are so fond of doing. one wonders what could be the motivation? if i were to hazard a guess it would be self hatred. you are very much aware of your working class and hick nw status that it positively grates. the method of compensation are the delusions of grandeur that you act out on this board.

is that not right, boy?

*There's a fourth-frame aspect in any good colloquialism. These days, slang isn't even worth the one-panel daily tripe. Who thinks dumshits are cool? "Not Me."

Makes me want to slap a dum fukking bich.

*(Or, to put it simply, I'm reminded of a girl, Cindy, who in seventh grade went through that phase where her name was Syndie, complete with the little heart over the I. And then a New York hottie named Cori showed up at school and all extraneous letters went away: Syndi. See? It all makes perfect sense.)

*Give me a break. That's so fukd. That's like, so dum. It's the kind of thing that comes from smoking 2 much crak. Thats lik the nacho cheez niger jok. It's even dummer than the hizzouse.

*Please drive thru.
    Laff it up.
    Axe someone a question.
    It's all so fukd.
    Kapeesh?

i see you regressed into a childish display of a temper tantrum. carry on then

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  11. Hathor Banned Banned

tiassa

Here's an interesting thing: the "b" at the end of crumb isn't entirely silent. It's a natural result of the action of speaking the word. Putting an "f" in the place of "gh" actually seems rather natural. If you can actually say "laugh," check where your teeth and your lips are when you finish the "gh". The "f" sound almost rolls off naturally, and the "gh" disappears into the pronunciation.

perhaps the only thing of note in that post. i will look into this

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Elect me and I will let you call me what ever you want without fear of deletion. (just don’t try that on other members)

13. Hathor Banned Banned

no. you are unfit. your disinterest and disdain for the subject bothers me. withdraw your nomination. do it for the community.

the best man here is undecided. the fucker's focus and grasp of detail is incredible. a definite asset to the forum

run for mod status if bio comes up for grabs. if the monkey doesnt run, you got my vote

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I think it's rather an interesting issue. The simple fact is that people who are not compelled to communicate clearly are no longer capable of understanding even the colloquialisms they use.

If that isn't a beguiling testament to humanity, well, that's your loss. I find it rather fascinating that people demand some sort of intellectual credibility for using dysfunctional forms of what is generally noncommunicative language in the first place.

So raising laziness and illiteracy to a literary and linguistic pedestal isn't frivolous?

Do you remember, from the late 1980s, "professionally-torn acid-wash denim"? In the face of $400 flannel shirts and $200 long underwear, $80 bucks for a pair of jeans tailored to fall apart in weeks just doesn't seem so frivolous anymore. But that's just an illusion.

Fashion is frivolous, whether it's clothing or architechture or language or whatever.

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

Tiger offers Bait to goats?...

bye!

16. Hathor Banned Banned

tiassa

I think it's rather an interesting issue. The simple fact is that people who are not compelled to communicate clearly are no longer capable of understanding even the colloquialisms they use.

bogus. despite the variation in spelling, you understood what i intended to convey. others probably could too.
    furthermore, etymology is specialized field of study. it is unreasonable (not to mention, insane) to expect the general populace to know the roots of the terminology employed in their speech

If that isn't a beguiling testament to humanity, well, that's your loss. I find it rather fascinating that people demand some sort of intellectual credibility for using dysfunctional forms of what is generally noncommunicative language in the first place.

again, you understood enough to make a minor correction. you also persist in ignoring the fact that what is once held to be "dysfunctional" can pass into established usage over time. ie: terms in the slang dic move into webster. that is a fact that has to be dealt with. your idealism may cause you to rant and rave but unfortunately it has no relevance to reality

So raising laziness and illiteracy to a literary and linguistic pedestal isn't frivolous?

no. i do not claim to understand the exact manner on how kapeesh was formulated but if i were to hazard a guess, it would be an attempt by one to spell an unknown word. without a reference, one would rely on a phonetic spelling. there is logic at play here. as such i refuse to characterize it as frivolous.

this "literary and linguistic pedestal" is a moving target. pick a word, hold it out as the definitive form. all i would have to do go back to its previous incarnation and claim purity (and of course, the charge of illiteracy)

fortunately, i refuse to be that small minded and petty
    a word to the wise. do not plan on irritating with shit like this again. if style offends, put on ignore. i have no intention of accomadating your ass

edit:spelling

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Hathor,

A moderator is not supposed to be focus on the issue, he just suppose to keep everyone calm and fair, no flaming. If a politically focused moderator is appointed, even if he tries to be fair to all sides they will claim he’s helping one side over another.

by the way seriously what your problem against me?

I think since we have more then 1 sub-forum here we should be elected more then one moderator.

18. Hathor Banned Banned

A moderator is not supposed to be focus on the issue, he just suppose to keep everyone calm and fair, no flaming. If a politically focused moderator is appointed, even if he tries to be fair to all sides they will claim he’s helping one side over another.

aint you a right winger? (am too lazy to scroll your history)
    in fact you have a point. disdain and disinterest are a better assets than involvement. like cc mentioned, perhaps it is also best not participate.

by the way seriously what your problem against me?

man, goofball! your deletion is causing more problems than if you had allowed it to remain

dude! wcf! i am a fan. now chill

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

aaaah ok, but I should warn you I voted for other guy.

20. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Professionally torn jeans

Maybe you should make a more consistent argument. You call one thing bogus and then go on to talk about something else in order to make your point.

What a waste.

That I understand? What's the problem?

Just becuz I dont lik speling evrything fonetikly duznt meen I kant put xtra efort in2 undrstanding wut u r saying.

You are ... off-course with that.

I persist in ignoring the fact that what was once held to be dysfunctional can pass into established usage over time? Hello? Do you really think it sounds intelligent when you tell me I persist in ignoring exactly what I'm addressing?

Really ... do you think that's a good argument on your part?

And that's a serious question. It helps me figure out what I'm dealing with in this discussion.

You overlook the issue with such a simplification. I consider this point of yours rather problematic since you're trying to establish the credibility of your argument in the legitimacy of the phonetic spelling and colloquial degradation of a colloquialism by citing a reference designed to compile exactly such odd mutations in the language.

Wow. Never have I seen such reverence for the theory of the uneducated guess.

Having only ever heard the word as a child, I can tell you that I never imagined it spelled kapeesh. Seeing it written the first time, I knew what the word was immediately, even without context. "Kapeesh" is entirely untextured, a basic phonetic derivation which strips the word of any indication on how to say it. Capiche there is little question about if you're smart enough to not guess "KA pee chay." Much like the "silent B" in crumb, or the ghost of "gh" in laugh, that last "e" in capiche does not disappear entirely if you say the word correctly.

If you cut away the southern accent, the classic New York and New Jersey accents, ignore nearly-lost archetypal Chicago accent, and look at words from the perspective of the flat, dull, unburnished "dead American" accent that connects Minnesota to Seattle and Kansas to California and persists in specialized necessity throughout other regions of the country--this is the phonetic according to which "kapeesh" is a reasonable rendering of the word.

The logic at play in the spelling of "kapeesh" is the logic of someone who does not know how to read, and thus is otherwise unable (or unwilling) to look things up when they're confused.

So "kapeesh" represents to me an illiterate attempt to be fashionable at worst or stylish at best. It's kind of like carrying a squirt gun to school in order to look "gangsta." If one takes a moment to look into the potential ramifications of the idea, one would quickly see that carrying a squirt gun wouldn't be a good idea. But this is America, and one has the right to believe any ol' idea in the world is good, and they have no obligations to reality in that sense.

So you're claiming that language only evolves according to illiteracy?

Quite a risky thesis, Hathor.

Now, now ... before you go and say that's not what you're saying, please consider that it is the result of what you're saying.

No, at least you're trying to be original in your pettiness.

Oh, gee, Hathor. I'm frightened.

Really, I hope you're not even getting warmed up yet, because that's just pathetic.

I mean, you're relying on the illiterate and celebrating their dysfunction.

If style offends ....

Style in general isn't offensive. But making a mockery of society's marginalized by instituting their deficiencies as "style" is rather a low representation of yourself, Hathor.

Think about it: guy wants style, so he says, "Capiche." But guy who wants style doesn't know how to spell it. So he makes something up. This, apparently, is the route to the evolution of language?

I mean, since you argue that all evolution of language can be charged with illiteracy?

Pretty sad.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  21. Bells Staff Member

The sad thing with the way this thread is developing is that anyone who may want to post their nomination for the forum may change their minds because their spelling may not be up to scratch. :bugeye:

A joke is one thing boys, but carrying it on for nearly two pages is another thing all together.

Many do Coffee. I have heard not only your president pronounce it as such, but many seasoned journalist and academics also. In all honesty, it is not an easy word to pronounce.

Spot the one who has been watching too much Steve Irwin.

22. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

This has got to be the funniest shit I've read in long time.

Congrats, Tiss.

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

My pleasure. It's good to know I don't piss you off 100% of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.