Model Vs Reality

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by ScaryMonster, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Here's an image of a model we built of the Ibis hotel in Sydney's Darling Harbour and an image of the actual building that was later built based on the model.
    The model was Photoshopped into the actual site hole.
    The colours of the model were not changed in any way when the image was placed in the site.
    What I'd really like to talk about is scale and notably colour scale, most modelmakers forget that you need to scale the colour as well as the size of a model, that's why you often see models with garish colours on them.
    Full scale colours on a a 1 to 200 scale model looks just wrong.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

THIS IS THE REAL BUILDING

THIS IS THE MODEL.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That would be why most serious (i.e. geeky) websites and/ or magazines for modellers devote pages and pages to this very subject, including colour mixing ratios that vary with model scale then?
    The discussion of scale representation of colour to my certain knowledge started at least in the '60s (for hobby modellers - I assume professional modellers may well have become concerned before that) and has been an ongoing thing ever since.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Rather ugly looking hotel, IMHO. I wonder who designed it? :shrug:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Dywyddyr,
    Are you a model plane enthusiast?
    I only ask since you're talking about a subject you've obviously encountered and previous posts on other subjects suggest knowledge of aircraft.

perhaps a general question of: are there any Model enthusiasts on the forums? should be asked.

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Planes, tanks, warships, science-fiction vehicles, buildings...
    My major hobby is wargaming, so it's non-flying models and lots of scratch-builds.

9. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Yep there's also the fact that to look realistic, you've got to remember that your looking through a big lump of atmosphere when you see a building from a distance. thats going to tone down the colour.
    In a model you need to scale the colours to simulate this effect.

And just answering some of the other guys questions, I'm a professional architectural model-maker amongst other things, I also do engineering prototypes and industrial design.

That Ibis Motel building is just a low priced hotel and nothing exceptional design wise, interesting only in how well it worked in scaling the colour and how close the actual building ended up looking like the model.

If you want to see some really good architecture in Sydney's Darling Harbour check out Phillip Cox's Exhibition centre, here's a sectional model we did of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.