MMORPG player that has accomplished something

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Exhumed, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Bwahahaha!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm making more than $20 an hour right now!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Moderating sure pays well.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't moderate anymore.

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Sorry, I mean "Rule over us plebs"

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't do that either. I can't even see the secret forum or look up your IPs.

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

why not?

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Dude, I quit. That's old news already.

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Well I'm young, tell me.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I just did.

14. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Didn't want to do it anymore. It was fun for those two years, but it gets tedious. You get alot of personal criticism and no reward.

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

17. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I agree with this 100%
    I disagree completely here. This claim is identical to the ones used against city growth, etc. That by allowing for anonymous behavior (via avatars or by traveling to a different section of town), people somehow lose their ability to behave themselves.

Certainly, there is a certain amount of poor behavior that is released when people are given the freedom to do so without concerns about reprisal. But I've seen many people who quickly grow out of that phase; especially with the presence of long-lasting characters or avatars online - distinct identities in their own right. While the social rejection of an avatar may not hold the weight of the social rejection of your real-world persona, the structure can be similar. I've seen players kicked out of guilds for ninja'ing loot, and I've seen them apologize, make amends and be re-accepted later on.

I personally don't drink and I'm not religious, so outside of the 6 hours a month I play WoW, I still avoid most social settings, simply because either alcohol is the norm, or it's a bunch of crazy god-fanclub members.
    In both cases, barhopping and gamplaying, you seem to assume that social interaction outside of those items is more valuable than time spent inside them. What about social interaction in non-game, but still digital environments? Does that count? Or do you think that the interaction must take place in the physical world to qualify?
    In-game I enjoy helping people quite a bit. I'll add my high-level characters to lower-level groups and help them blast through a tough dungeon, etc. Give some gold or a free resurrection to a random player I happen across.

Also, my main reason for still being involved in WoW is that my GF, her brother, my two college roomate's and some other friends also play. We are in a guild together, and regularly raid together. This is especially nice since we are now spread all over the country, have kids, or travel for work - all things which prevent us from hanging out at a restaurant together.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What about the creators of these games? They must play them too, and get paid to do it!

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Robin Williams is on paper at least... a total dork:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Williams

20. Letticia Registered Senior Member

I used to play Dungeons & Dragons a lot, but it was a very social thing. Basically, it was a way for a bunch of friends to spend time and have fun. I tried some online RPG's, and invariably found them boring after a few hours. They are missing both social interaction and spontaneous humor.

In no MMORPG I know of you can have a philosophical discussion with a demon prince, or convince a fungus man that he is living in a hallucination (magic mushroom -- get it?).

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Oh, my.

Sharpen ye thy cardboard broadswords.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

fuck
    played for the first time 3 days ago
    bye bye sciforums

23. Gustav Banned Banned

in the mid 90's, i used to date a girl in activeworlds. we were very happy and spent a lot of time together

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.