Mixed Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Prince_James, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Unlike 1823, we have laws against such acts. Sports are even better, it puts together two equal fighters and asked to duke it out. This way, a better contestant emerges without incapacitating health issues.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is not certain who is really better, since lethal techniques are prohibited.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. q0101 Registered Senior Member

It doesn’t take a lot of skill to kill a person. I know how to kill a person with one strike, but does that make me a good fighter? Boxing, mixed martial arts, and other combat sports are designed in a way to test a person’s speed, strength, stamina, and their tolerance for pain. These four things usually determine who the better fighter is. Real fights are also usually boring to watch because they end very quickly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It can take skill if your opponent is skilled.

Otherwise, it's just a show, like dancing.

8. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Swivel:

If you need a gi to fight, then you aren't fighting. Any combat form that cannot work as well as it can ass-naked means that it is using a weapon (in this case: tough woolen cloth).

Moreover, a bare-fist is much more powerful. Gloves are there to prevent injury to the hand as well as soften the blow - leading to less lacerations. If anything, BJJ should be BETTER.

It's called hand conditioning.

I've seen the first UFCs. The only reason that BJJ won was that few people, outside of Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn, knew shit about wrestling.

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Q0101 and SPidergoat:

I, too, am irked by the safety precautions. The focus on safety takes away from the realism, which is why I say it is utterly bogus to say this is "real fighting". But as a sport, it is most definitely great to watch. I enjoy it as that, but know that this doesn't show which style is more effective. It is too structured of an enviroment.

Also, Spidergoat, it would be very easy to get killed in the ring in any of these competitions. But then again, I don't imagine most martial artists today could kill someone. The last martial artist I know to have killed someone bare-fisted is Mas Oyama.

10. Roman Banned Banned

=Headbutts aren't allowed in the fights, are they?

I grappled around with this kid who did MMA when we were drunk. He was a good 50 lbs heavier than me.

He did this really sweet move, where he went to grapple my head, and with his cupped hand, gouged my eye. Pretty incapacitating, but the kids ref-ing totally missed it.

Just start going to illegal fights.

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I've seen tons of them on the internet. They're rather great!

Although the fighters tend to be drunks, drug addicts, or just frat boys. However, if I am to believe every martial arts film I've ever seen, Hong Kong and/or Bangkok have legit martial artists in cage fights to the death.

12. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

All of the techniques displayed at PRIDE (sorry, I just can't speak about UFC) can be lethal. It's just that there are little things called submission slaps and referees that will stop the fight when he sees a fighter about to be killed. Basically, the person who wins the fight is the person who would most likely have killed the other fighter in a serious fight.

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Some of the ground and pound could definitely kill someone if it kept up forever, yes.

14. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Not to mention the fact that the most common submission, the rear-naked-choke, will certainly kill a man if it isn't released.

15. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

As in one more minute

16. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

No doubt, John. PJ must have some excellent cardio!

17. Geo D Registered Member

Mma

I saw the EliteXC fights on Showtime a couple of weeks ago. It was the first fights held by this organization (or at least it was the first televised fights).

Most excellent!!!! I like it much better then UFC. There is a rule if the fighters are on the floor and no action is taking place the Ref activates a 15 second time clock. If the action doesn't pickup the Ref breaks the fighters up and makes them square off. Very good rule. UFC sucks because a whole fight can be floor work. Yes, floor techniques are great if you are in a real fight. But fans don't want to see people laying on the floor for a whole fight.

GINA CARANO is one tough female. That was one of the best fights!!! Not to mention she is very easy on the eyes!!! Check her out at:

elitexc.com

Her fighting career is one to follow!!! She can kick the crap out of most men!!

18. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Geo, agreed. The first and final bouts were horrible, but the rest of them were great. And Gina is amazing. With her looks and ability, she is going to be the easiest thing to market in MMA. She was easier on the eyes than any of the ring-girls that Showtime borrowed from its late-night lineup.

19. Roman Banned Banned

It would be wicked easy to kill someone in a fight. All you do is hold a submission until they lose concsiousness, then go for the throat. Stomp that trachea!

20. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Swivel:

Yes, chokes will certainly kill a man by the very fact that they are...chokes.

21. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Last night's Pride Championship 33 was the best single night of fighting I have ever witnessed. And I've seen pretty much all of them, if not live. Did anyone else catch this historic evening of fighting, and see how superior Pride is to the UFC (I love them both, btw, I'm not a nuthugger, I'm just a fight fan)

Spoilers

Upsets galore, that is what last night was all about. (Rua ALMOST joined the list!). And Dan Henderson becomes the first person in MMA history to own two rightfully-won division belts at the same time. He is the new Middleweight Pride champion, and the talk of a Silva/Liddel matchup seems ridiculous now. Silva isn't even the best fighter in Pride at 205. He was manhandled last night, standing up and on the ground. I was so happy for Dan, it was really a magical moment.

The best fight of the night, however, was the Nick Diaz/Gomi fight. If you don't know about Gomi, this guy is the Chuck Liddel of the Pride Lightweight division. All he does is knock people out, and he has a stellar record. He is an unstoppable force. Nick, a former 170 champ in the UFC, dropped down to 160 to fight this Pride champ. I think it was the Pride's way of showing the US audience how good the foreign fighters are, to beat up one of the US's best. It didn't work out that way. Nick spent the last 40 seconds punching Gomi straight in the face. It was surreal. Gomi wasn't protecting himself at all. Nick was unloading on him like a speedbag, and Gomi just wouldn't go down.

The start of the second was more of the same, until Nick got a nasty gash under his right eye. They stopped the fight to look at it, and let the bout continue, but you knew that Nick had to finish this fast. He wanted to stay up and knock Gomi out, and Gomi now decided to take Nick down, let him stain the mat, and wait to win by default. And he succeeded in taking Nick down, but Nick knew he had to win fast. And from his back. In full guard. So what did he do? Only the second successful gogoplata in MMA history. A BJJ move so rare, I don't even know how to spell it. The announcers called it a triangle choke, even they didn't know what the hell it was. You basically choke your opponent out on your own shinbone. Think about that for a second. You have to bring (in Nick's case) your left leg OVER their right arm, and across the front of their face. Basically, your left foot is now at your own chin. You thin bring your right leg up around the left shoulder of your opponent, and use it, and both hands, to crank the opponent's head down onto your left shinbone. I've seen BJ Penn try one once, you have to be freaky-limber to pull it off. The first on in MMA history was during this New Year's Pride event. Last night was number 2.

Oh, and Trigg took his headphones off, went into the ring and beat the Lightweight GP Champion, then came back to add color for the rest of the night.

Awesome, awesome, awesome night of fighting. If you can order the replay in your area, I highly suggest you do so.

22. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Swivel, I am going to download Pride right now. Thanks for reminding me.

23. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Does anybody know of any other sambo based fighters in PRIDE? I wonder why such an obviously successful fighting style has not taken off in the same way BJJ has in MMA tournaments.