misogyny

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by mathman, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Wegs, do you think some men are sexually attractive? (If you are a hetro woman, that is)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'm a hetero woman, and yes...some men are sexually attractive. Why do you ask that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Just curious.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Ted Bundy would be my idea of a misogynist, someone who truly hates women.

Yep, I'll buy that. Seems more in line with what I have seen in the past.

8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hmm Okay. lol

Definitely. All rapists, and violent offenders against women are usually misogynists.

Yep. Interestingly, Picasso was also speculated as being a misogynist. He would often pit the women who were interested in him, against each other, to sort of ''fight'' for him. It's easy to spot once you have figured out how it's different from sexism. I might have dated one of these types; at first, they can be charming.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Have you ever been accused of being a sexist?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. Of course.

Woah. You just tried to move the goalposts.

There's a big line between
    people just "hanging out with each other"
    and
    people starting a club and not letting others in, based on some arbitrary distinction, such as gender.

The line, as we've mentioned, is called segregation.

Please tell me you see the distinction.

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Isn't a club just people hanging out with each other?

If you were a woman, what interest would you have in an all-male club? As a male, I would have no interest in a knitting circle.

I suppose the question is, do people have a right to segregate. Your opinion?

Yes, I know what it is. Not what I would want, but that's me.

11. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

No. But a misogynist plenty of times here. I think sexist might be more applicable in my case. I believe men and women are inherently different.

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, some may be conflating the two terms, as stated above. I don't see your posts as misogynistic. But, sexist? lol Hmm, sometimes. Men and women are different, but sexism is a reflection of how you may see and process those differences - however that plays out in your mind.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  13. billvon Valued Senior Member

Cool, so you DO see the problem with such exclusive (i.e. white-only) clubs. So do I.

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

Men and women are inherently different. (So are blacks and whites, or Christians and Muslims.) The key is TREATING them the same, with the same rights and privileges. If you can do that, that's not sexism.

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Would you be comfortable having me deciding whether you would be interested?

I've built the best science forum on the internet. It's got Einstein, Newton, Feynmann and Hawking and the top 100 other scientists as active members.
    You apply for membership.
    I tell you: "Well, this is a science forum; so we don't really want God-believers. You're a God-believer so I'm certain you wouldn't be interested in it anyway. But you're free to start your own forum - from whatever scientists there are left over."

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

That's just fine, as long as the boys' club is not dictating to the girls what they can and can't do in their general lives. The boys can go play in a cave somewhere if they want, and leave the girls to run the world in their absence.

17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It would be interesting to watch

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I also think there are differences but I'm not a sexist. Should there be a difference in rights or political power?

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

If you haven't yet been called a misogynist on SciFo, are you really even here?

I think it's actually a 1 point trophy, right after 'Congratulations! You posted a post!'

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Somebody should invent a Scientist Draft game like that.

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

No, not in my opinion. I think that if you can do the job, and you are best qualified to do that job, then yes, regardless of gender. I have no problem with a woman laying bricks, crawling through sewers, climbing girders, hauling a fire hose up ten stories, carrying a wounded comrade through a battlefield or being a political figure.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

What about a woman being a Catholic Priest?

23. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't know. I'm not Catholic. They might have rules regarding such things.