Misandry disguised as feminism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Alien Cockroach, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Not only that we forget that in many societies a disempowered male head of a household creates problems for all in the family. A man who is under stress because he loses land rights, or because he cannot make a living and feed his family and protect his children from harm or means to provide them with an education is more likely to drink, commit crime, and abuse members of his household. In many cases (I can think of many in Cambodia) helping the male head of the household IS helping the rest of the family. Women play their role of course, I am not discounting the great role of women in these societies but the males have to be considered too. I think we need to treat men and women as a unit when looking at society, its not enough to say we will empower one and forget to deal with the problems of the other. It's like Oprah's school for young girls in South Africa, I think its great she is giving such an exclusive education to young women but what of the boys? Who will ensure that these females have educated, responsible men in their future if we only focus on the girls?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alien Cockroach Banned Banned

Actually, I am a rabid supporter of women's education and literacy. A high rate of literacy in women tends to predicate a more controlled birth-rate. Although I support and congratulate any individual woman who wants to have a large family, it is in the best interests of society overall for the birth-rate to match the death-rate. I am not worried about the potential for a population decline because there are always sub-groups in any society that reproduce at a more rapid rate than others. If conditions remain the same for a sufficient length of time, the expansion of these sub-groups will eventually overshadow the declining reproductive success of other sub-groups. Even a sharp decline in our population growth would not result in a permanent state of decline as long as conditions remained stable. People who would rather have a large family than a successful career will continue being reproductively successful.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.