million, billion, trillion... then what?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by qfrontier, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So do the people who don't use the American system call Warren Buffett a milliardaire?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes they do.

(I have to say that the American system got me quite irritated the first time I stumbled across it and noticed that they described those amount another way.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. yuri_395 Registered Member

ya my dad dosen' belive that it passes the andromeda galaxy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I give this thread several awards

Award 1 : Most Uses of the number 0 in Non-Spam Messages

Award 2: Mosts Posts by Users who just Registered but then Didn't Come Back
    (so they only have 1 post each)

Award 3: Most resurrections.
    This thread has been ressurrected over 3 times! And every time it was ressurrected, people payed some attention to it! Now thats gotta deserve a medal of some sort. Some photoshop one up, will ya?

8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yeah, my favorite part was that there's a number so large that it cannot be written down due to not enough atoms being available in the universe to do so, heh.

I also had to recheck the thread to see how many people fit the criteria for Award #2 and found that amusing, lol.

- N

9. yuri_395 Registered Member

10. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

You're an alternate account of an already existing, high post SF user aren't you? You made that account just to ressurrect the thread without getting told off!

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Roflmao, too funny, heh.

- N

12. yuri_395 Registered Member

but I didn't ressurect the thread :bugeye:

13. night Science Man Extrodinaire Registered Senior Member

Hey,
    Ten to the 26th = 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

What would be the scientific name for that?
    All i have seen is
    "24 septillion quadrillion
    27 octillion 1000 quadrillion"

would it be 500 quadrillion?

-Night

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In the U.S. it's one hundred septillion.

In most of the rest of the world it's one hundred quadrillion.

If you had chosen 10^29, the answer would show the superiority of our way.

In the U.S., 10^29 is one hundred octillion.

In the countries using the other system, it's one hundred thousand quadrillion.

Pity the Spanish-speaking peoples. "Million" and the larger figures are all nouns and have to be used grammatically correctly. For them "10^29 dollars" is "a hundred thousand quadrillions of dollars," "ciento mil cuadrillones de dólares."

15. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

i ran this through mathematica and damn-near set my laptop on fire...

how many zeros are in "1000000!"? It must have made hundreds of pages of numbers on my screen show up...

16. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It's happened again.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't even understand Weed Eater's comment. There are six zeros in 1000000 and it doesn't take any automated tools to figure it out.

18. jackamo Banned Banned

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." I been sayin' that shit for years.

19. Solve Banned Banned

I'll eat your head, and suck all your blood out you billy goat you.

20. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

it's 1000000!, as in 1000000 factorial (1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x ...... 1000000)

21. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion, octillion, whatever the fuck "9" is in latein -illion, decatillion, and I forget what's next...
    but, eventually, it works its way to 'google", then something else, then "infinity", then "aleph-one".

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Oh I see, sorry. Missed the exclamation point in that font. That would be a really big number all right. By inspection it's obviously greater than one thousand to the one thousandth power, which means it will have more than three thousand zeros.

After octillion comes nonillion, decillion, undecillion, duodecillion.

I've seen charts showing what comes next for lots more zeros, but this is what they call "Modern Latin" as opposed to "real" Latin, meaning that it's being invented on the spot. Up to duodecillion, there's a consensus among scientists and mathematicians. Beyond that the laws of Latin grammar are not unambiguous enough that there's more than one logical way to coin some of the terms. They're not in wide enough use for there to be a general agreement.

Obviously everyone will agree that 10^303 is one centillion. But what's 10^54? I've seen both "septemdecillion" and "septdecillion," the latter of which is pretty hard to pronounce.

23. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

What the hell happened to my post??? I'll try again!

It's easy to show by pairing high and low numbers that a million factorial is greater than a million to the half-millionth power, so it's at more than 3 million digits long.

It's also obvious that it's less that a million to the millionth power, so it's less than 6 million digits long.

As far as actual trailing zeros go, I think that it will end in exactly 249,998 zeros, as that's the number of multiples of 5 and its powers that are less than a million (ie there are 200000 multiples of 5, 40000 multiples of 25, 8000 multiples of 125, and so on).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.