Middle Earth Cartoon

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by CounslerCoffee, Jun 26, 2004.

1. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I was sitting on my couch today reading "Lord of the Rings" when a thought came to me that it would be really cool if there was a cartoon based on Middle Earth.

Done correctly (And with good animation) it would kick total ass. We could see the myths and tales of Middle Earth displayed on our TVs every week for 30 minutes. I think this is very possible--look at the Star Wars cartoons on Cartoon Network.

The animation team should be the same one that made the SW cartoons and Samurai Jack. Thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

I think it would completely ruin everything - the concept , the book.. everything.
    Then again, I'm a LOTR purist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Hell no. The animation for Smaurai Jack sucks...as artsy and creative as they try to be the animation still blows. I'd rather have Aeon Flux type animation but Aragorn would look very gay then...every man in that style of animation looks like a woman on steroids.

Also airavata has point....the writers would rape the world of LOTR. The movies did a good enough job, lets leave it be.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I understand. But you miss my point. This thing should be done correctly. I've just started to read LOTR for the first time, and I gotta tell you: WHERE THE FUCK WAS TOM BOMBADIL IN THE FUCKING MOVIE!?

I still say it would rule.

8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Where was he? The producers made some bad choices about which scenes to leave out. You kind of have to. To include everything, you'd either have to make the movies a lot longer, or make more of them, both would have been bad. They had to make compromises, but I really don't see leaving Tom out, and including a cave troll that never happened.

I agree though. Perhaps something like a miniseries, properly done, but an extended running? They'd screw it up too badly, and then it would be popular anyway, and get even more screwed up.

9. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

But they should have the chance. A miniseries done correctly would kick ass. Now that I've read FOTR I can't see why they left Tom out.

We need to start a thread about what they left out of LOTR. But darn it, I'm to drunk.

10. DeSeRt RaT UK Registered Senior Member

Tom was expendable from the film, he doesn't really add much to the story other then the fact he gives the Numorean swords to the Hobbits. Something easily bypassable in the film. Tolkien himself said for Goldberry, and you could extend it to Bombadil also -

"Personally I think she had far better disappear than make a meaningless appearance" #210, The Letters

The letter was about the film 'treatment' back in the 60's by someone called Zimmerman.

Personally I don't think there could be a film long enough to explain Bombadil. The FotR was long enough without having to put him in. Most people wouldn't appreciate the scene.

edit - I don't think the LotR should be turned into a cartoon series but something like the Silmarillion would be pretty cool. Perhaps Japanese anime style?

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

They should make a Sci-Fi mini-series out of it. If they could make Taken, they can damn sure make a decent LoTR. Follow the story line to the letter. Change nothing. (Well, maybe scale back some of the long dialog...)

Coffee,

All you've read so far is FotR? The movie did a reasonable job of sticking to the story line compared to what extravagant changes they made later. The Two Towers was fucked. They pulled back into line somewhat for Return of the King. I think they got enough shit for putting in such stupid changes in TTT.

I think the biggest thing that pissed me off was when Frodo ends up going back to Osgiliath. Faramir drags him back there and then they have the big showdown with the Nazgul getting a good look at the little hobbit standing there with the ring. That fucked up everything to my mind. The point was supposed to be that Sauron didn't know where the ring was. In fact, he thought it was likely at Isengard because of Pippin looking in the Palantir. Once Sauron knew the ring was there, there would have been no stopping him. There would be no way that little Frodo and Sam would make it into Mordor. You could still say that Sauron assumes the ring is going to Minas Tirith, but that's just stretching it too far. Good chance for what's his nuts to have a little doe-eyed scene for the trailer, but ruins the plot. And Tolkien tortured himself over the exact plot that he came up with. Exact timelines and such.

Another thing was the "Exorcist" moment with Theoden. That was crap. Wormtongue didn't bewitch Theoden with anything but his tongue. He was a wily bastard and Theoden saw him as a friend. I mean, the way they set it up, there was no reason to let him live. In the book, Theoden let's him live because of the old friendship they had. The whole thing was ruint... Ruint I tells ye!

Peter Jackson... Fucking shit... Ah, well, could have been worse I suppose. I was fully expecting a big duel between Aragorn and Sauron at the end. And I bet Jackson was tempted to do just that...

Edit: Oh, how could I have forgotten the warg battle where Aragorn is "lost" just so Arwen can have her little moment. Worthless... I don't mind the memory scenes they did. They pulled those from the appendixes. But the lost Aragorn scene was a travesty.

Oh, and of course the elves showing up at Helm's deep. WTF?!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  12. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

The most pathetic moment for me was Faramir succumbing to the lure of the ring. The whole point was to show that some men were strong enough to resist it. Obviously, noone thought enough about this.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

WHERE THE FUCK WAS TOM BOMBADIL IN THE FUCKING MOVIE!?

They should come out with new versions of the film every year, adding more and more scenes, including Bombadil, until it recreates everything in the book, and the movie is 24 hours long!

14. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

more hobbits and that being cartoon hobbits, what a scary thougth

15. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

If done properly, if done properly, if done properly. That's all it comes down to. There were other scenes that could have been removed aside from Tom. It's true that he would be high on the list of things to cut, there was not actually very much that he contributed, aside from showing some stuff about the ring. But they shouldn't have cut him.

I heard that he was one of the scenes that they included on the DVD as an extra. Is that true?

16. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

I heard the hobbit village gets burned in the books

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Right! The movie doesn't show a very important part of the book, because not only does evil happen in far away places, it's also close to home. The hobbits go back to the shire to find Saruman in control, along with human thugs. The hobbits have to organize everyone to fight back and drive them away. They spare Saruman's life, but he dies anyway...

18. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

haha that almost sounds worse then the ending of LoTR 3

19. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Something I'm glad they left out was the big debate over the ring at Rivendell. You had to sit through everybody's history of their land, their ancestors and themselves, then wait while they pondered the ring, was it real, could it be destroyed, whether or not that itching, burning sensation when they pissed was something to be worried about, THAT section was needlessly long. I'm glad they shortened it in the movie. Who wants to sit through a medieval fantasy version of the UN? They made up for it in LOTR3, though, by spending so much time showing troop movement and positioning. All right already! We get the idea that it's a big army, can we have some story now?

20. Roman Banned Banned

...Bombadil didn't give the hobbits Numenorean blades, they were the blades from the barrow wights where they camped the night the Nazgul attacked, wasn't it? They sort of dreamed into reality.

I think the early wars, like the final battle with elves, dwarves and men against orcs, balrogs, dragons, wyrms and Malkor and his liutenant sauron would be a killer theme for a cartoon series. But it would have to be a hardcore LotR cartoon series, right from the book.

21. DeSeRt RaT UK Registered Senior Member

The blades were Numorean

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Then he told them that these blades were forged by many years ago by Men of Westernesse: they were foes of the Dark Lord, but they were overcome by the evil king of Carn Dum in the land of Angmar" - Fog on the Barrow-downs

"So passed the sword of the Barrow-downs, work of Westernesse. But glad would he have been to know its fate who wrought it slowly long ago in the North-Kingdom when the Dunedain were young, and chief among their foes was the dread realm of Angmar" - Battle of the Pelannor Fields, RotK

It was Bombadil who gave them to the Hobbits after they were attacked by a Barrow wight and he saved them after they sung the song he taught them.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No, they were from the North Kingdom. That's why Merry's sword hurt the Witch-King.

The people were men of westerness. They descended from Numenor, but the blades were made during the days of the Witch-king.

You're confusing the general bloodline of Westernesse with Numenor. In fact, I think according to the Fisher-king myths and the like, Westernesse was a title that applied to those who fled from the sinking of the island in the west. Post-exile. So to speak.

23. DeSeRt RaT UK Registered Senior Member

I didn't say they were from Numenor, I said they were Numorean, i.e made by Numoreans. Just like if you say "this blade is Roman" - doesn't mean it was made in Rome, but that it was made by Romans.

Westernesse means Numenor so your statement reads "You're confusing the general bloodline of Numenor with Numenor"

Men of Westernesse is a term used for both men of Numenor and their descendants. Admittidly is was used more for the descendants.

Dunedain - being very similar name to Men of Westernesse, meaning "Edain of the West", Men of the West. Which was a name they recieved by the Grey Elves back when given the Isle of Numenore. And a name used for them in the third age also as seen in the quote.