microwave oven

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by mathman, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mathman Valued Senior Member

When doing two dishes (frozen dinners, etc.) at the same time, is it better to cook them side by side or stacked?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ajanta Registered Senior Member

It can cook them side by side or stacked. But I think it is better to cook them side by side(if it... possible).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd say do them separately.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That is best, but if not possible put three glasses between them in one stack. Then each should "grab" the microwaves bouncing around in the box equally well: however, if one has much more H2O than the other do them separately. It is mainly the water molecule that absorbs energy.

ajanta likes this.
  8. mathman Valued Senior Member

My question had to do with speed. I don't know what the waves inside a microwave look like (horizontal, vertical, or something else?) If horizontal, stacking should be faster. If vertical, side by side should be. Possibly I just don't get it.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Typically they come from a small slot or port and bounce around a lot, but they do have "null spots" that is why there usually is a rotating turn table. Years ago instead of it, there was a rotating wire at the top of the box that constantly changed the fill pattern inside the box. Almost all polarizations are present at non-null spots at least to some extent and the "nulls" are not very deep.

BTW
    I should also note that the polarization is of no import as it is the water molecule that is doing the absorbing - they are present in all orientations.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  10. danshawen Valued Senior Member

http://www.emu.dk/sites/default/files/physics_of_microwave_oven.pdf

One thing the article did not discuss is that if you stack food dishes, assuming similar water and moisture content of the dishes, the one on the bottom (furthest from the magnetron) will likely not be heated as effectively as the dish on top, as it is partially shielded by absorption of the microwave energy into the food in the top dish.

Placing the dishes in the microwave side by side, if they will fit that way, or in a compartmented container or plate designed for that use should assure about the same absorption of microwave energy by each food entree, all else being equal.

Most people don't have issues with the idea that a greater volume of food placed in a microwave oven will require longer heating times. A properly working 1,000 Watt microwave oven can boil one cup of water (heat to 100 degrees C or 212 degrees F in about a minute. So in the same oven, 2 cups of water will require 2 minutes to reach the same temperature, while 1/2 cup will only require about 30 seconds.

Microwaves usually have "stirrer" vanes in the top and round trays in the bottom, both of which rotate to help prevent "hot spots" in the microwave cavity where food may heat up much quicker. The article provides an infrared view of where the standing wave "hot spots" may occur in a typical microwave oven cavity.

ajanta likes this.
  11. mathman Valued Senior Member

Thank you. From your note and the link it looks like side by side is better. I have been cooking with a factor of 1.75.