Michael Phelps on hot seat for controversial photo

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by mikenostic, Feb 2, 2009.

1. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

My understanding, up in the city of Denver they stopped bothering with it. They decided it was a waste of manpower. Would rather go after real criminals.

But then there are states like Nebraska that tripled the fines, oh course it's a real revenue maker there with it being transported across the state and they get to buy all that neat cop shit with the money.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Considering I grew up in Nebraska, that may explain my attitute about it. :shrug: And my Dad worked for the Forest Service in Del Norte County in California. Lots and lots of pot crops there. My Dad was the one with the flame thrower.

I don't know if NE is still as dedicated to wiping out pot as they used to be. Meth has become a HUGE issue.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I just moved from outside of Lincoln. Yeah Meth is a real big problem there.

DEA runs the cookers out of Ca. into AZ and NM . They get run out of there to OK. and NE.

So Ne. starts putting them in jail and the taxpayers foot the bills for all the medical problems.

Yes I burned up about 10 lbs. of ditch weed with my flame thrower before I left, it grows everywhere.

and No ... I didn't leave because they tripled the fines.... I left to help take care of my mom.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, ditchweed. I'm surprised the cows aren't stoned. Maybe they don't eat it.

8. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

The whole issue of it being illegal is absurd. Alcohol is the biggest gateway drug there is.

MJ doesn't have the progressive destruction like other drugs and yes alcohol is a drug. If the goobermint had any sense at all they would legalize it and tax it. But the lawyers and courts can pad their dockets and make fist full of money off it being illegal. The drug companies would lose millions off it being legal.

9. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Sounds like your dad was one of those ignorant 'high horse' law enforcement officers who thinks they were doing a good deed.

It all boils down to the very, very few idiots who can't hold their recreational pharmeceuticals that go out and do something stupid. Then, ignorant lawmakers assume from the stupid actions of the few that this will happen to everyone and make it illegal.

I just can't fathom that people are still ignorant to think that pot is that much worse than alcohol to make it illegal.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

In most states today possession of a small amount of pot, under an ounce I think, only is a misdemeanor and is punishable with a fine but only for the first offense.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

or he was doing the job that our tax dollars paid him to do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Oh, BTW, Michael hasn't been CONVICTED of anything, so how can people assume he was even smoking anything if nothing has been proven as yet except for him saying what he has.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so him saying he did isn't proof that he did. Only a conviction is proof?

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

He was foolish to have admitted to smoking anything. But since he has he sealed his own fate. I was only talking about if he hadn't said what he did he would have not been in the trouble he is now.

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

It would have made him a liar then, huh?

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yes, but if he would have said nothing then how could he be labeled a liar?

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

A confession is not proof, as people confess to doing stuff they didn't do all the time. Mostly to protect someone who did.

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I honestly don't know...if the dealer is selling it in 1 oz baggies and you ask him for 8 oz, I could easily see him just handing you 8 of the baggies...so it doesn't seem like that would be proof that you were going to sell it. But then again, that doesn't mean the police won't interpret it that way.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just see people arrested for 'intent to sell' on COPS.

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But many times their cases are thrown out of the system before they even go to trial and are set free. COPS never tell you about those facts, I wonder why not?:shrug:

21. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

They do. Listen to the verbal 'fine print' at the end of the opening credits.

"All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law."

To me that implies that not all of the people they arrest will go to jail.

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

They very commonly arrest people for things that they never even bother pressing charges on, let alone actually convicting the person at trial. "Disorderly conduct" is a big one; they can arrest pretty much anyone for it at any time. Often the person wasn't actually doing anything that would meet the requirements for a genuine disorderly conduct conviction, but the police arrest them anyway, even though charges will never be brought and the person will get released almost immediately. "Drunk and disorderly" is another fun one. They can arrest pretty much anyone who is intoxicated, even if they aren't actually being "disorderly" or causing trouble for anyone. Usually they just get released the next day.

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

True, but they still probably have to appear in court and pay court costs...which to me is fuckin stupid. If you have to appear in court and do not get convicted of anything, you should not have to pay court costs.