Michael Phelps on hot seat for controversial photo

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by mikenostic, Feb 2, 2009.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

If we could rep a member or high five a post I would do both in light of yours.
    :m:

First off, other than a pic and his stand up admission, there is no proof. He could very well have said he was posing for a pic. And I don't think he has any competitions coming up anytime soon so no one can force him to take a pee pee test.
    He needs to ensure that if he does partake again, that he does it with much more discretion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

your just defending him because he is an American and a stereotype of six-pack macho'ness.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

even if its illegal?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

:thumbsup:
    No kidding... I mean if he was showing up stoned, that's one thing. So the guy smokes some pot in his own personal time. Jeez what a big crime. :bugeye:
    :zzz:

8. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I have to agree with Orly on this one...in a sense.

All of Phelps' sponsors are family oriented companies; they are very anti-drug/dope organizations. They can ill-afford to sponsor someone that creates a bad image for them. I understand where they are coming from on that.
    However, if Phelps (as he should) agrees to a drug test and tests negative, his sponsorship companies should then STFU and let him go about his bid'nes.
    If this picture was taken before he acquired any of his sponsorships, then once again the sponsors should STFU and let him go about his bid'nes.

If Phelps does enjoy toking up that much, he needs to ensure that no pics are taken of him either pretending to, or actually taking a hit from anything that looks like it has MJ in it. Ensure you don't get caught Michael.

9. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Well, pot isn't illegal in all places. And it's only a banned substance if used during competition, which it wasn't in this case.

And lets not even go into the whole illegal/not illegal thing on the use of pot. Some will argue it's less harmful for the brain, and less likely to cause liver failure than our current legal drugs. If it was a picture of him binge drinking, would you feel the same?

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so some see it as just having a toke, while others (me) see it as breaking the law. If you are a role model in the public eye, you should be more careful. That's the trade off for being famous. You lose some privacy, so you need to be more careful.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Oh jesus. How many times do we have to go over this before it finally sinks in?
    -A picture of someone holding a bong up to their face posing as if they were going to take a hit is not breaking the law. End of story. You can argue until the cows come home; you will be wrong.

-having a sponsor pull your sponsorship because of a pic that may affect yours and the sponsors image, is also not breaking the law.

Breaking the law and tarnishing a role model image are mutually exclusive.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He tarnished his own image. And he broke the law. If you don't think he did, then fine. I think he did.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You think he did, I think he did, but anyone trying to prosecute him would find it difficult if not impossible. From the evidence, all he did was hold a glass apparatus with water in it to his lips. Nothing further could really be proven in court. I hope people take this opportunity to recognize that you can be one of the greatest athletes in the world (or the president) and still have smoked pot occasionally. It is crazy that it's illegal.

14. John99 Banned Banned

yeah and if there wasn't a camera no one would know.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not really, it's not a performance enhancing drug, just the opposite. Anyway, they don't get tested until near the date when they have to compete.

16. John99 Banned Banned

plus if the media was concerned about kids seeing this then they shouldnt have reported it.

the truth is that someone who smokes weed every day could never be the caliber of athlete he is. people can disagree but that is a fact.

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

He did tarnish his image. No argument there.

From the picture alone, he did NOT break the law.

The only way he would get in trouble with the law is...
    -if the pot in the bowl of the bong belonged to him
    -if the bong itself belonged to him

Let's say he takes a pee pee test tomorrow and passes it, no law broken. The cops wouldn't even do anything.
    Even if he took a pee pee test and failed it, the most that would happen to him is that he would lose a few endorsements.

18. John99 Banned Banned

mike, breaking the law is not really the issue here and i dont think anyone would be investigated for that type of photo either.

19. John99 Banned Banned

that is a big deal though.

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yep, that's where he makes his money. The job market doesn't have a huge need for swimmers.

Especially one that break the law.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

When the law is wrong, it is our duty to break it. I think Henry David Thoreau would agree.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My child could have marched for civil rights, in that case it is correct.
    My child smoking weed? Nope.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I've been to rallys in D.C., there were alot of other kids there smoking...