Michael Moore

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Reid, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Reid Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

If Moore was a liar, and was putting lies in print, people could sue him for slander. Nobody ever has. Why is that, I wonder? Because mudslinging is easy, but proving him wrong, isn't?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fahrenheit 451 fiction Registered Senior Member

nobody is going to take the chance of calling him a lier cause he may be right

but he is raking up the shit when theres no need. just to cause a problem
    his type of person is the worst kind of a'@:hole .

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

at least he's taking it in good humor

8. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Fahrenheit, given your screen name, how can you have a problem with a gadfly like Moore? Or is the name ironic?

9. Sasquachie Registered Member

What I dont like about Moore is that he is an @sshole. I think hes 100% correct on every thing he says, I think hes funny as hell, but he is an @sshole, like most great men. I mean just reading that made me want to punch him. He reminds me a Slovko Zizek (spelling) for you who know him.

10. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Ah, I see.

11. Sasquachie Registered Member

Star, I dont see how his name is ironic? could you explain?

12. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Fahrenheit 451 is a book written by Ray Bradbury. The title refers to the temperature at which paper will burn. The main character, can't remember his name, is a "fireman" meaning his job his job into burn books. I mistook the original post for an argument in favor of censorship, which, given that he named himself after an anti-censorship book, struck me as odd and/or ironic.

13. Sasquachie Registered Member

Ah yes, one of my fav books, I didnt see the conection, I thought it had to do with the movie, I got it tho. Offtopic, if you like Fahrenhit 451 you should see "Equalibirum" its kinda a matrix/Fahrenheit movie, I think it might of even came before the Matrix, I could be wrong about that tho.

14. phlogistician Banned Banned

What a load of tripe. He wrote a few books, made a couple of movies which show certain groups and politicians in a bad light.

It's not like he's some rich draft doging goober who started an unjust war and killed a bunch of innocent people and installed a military regime which systematically abuses detainees held without charge or legal representation now, is it?

You sir, are the worst @sshole, thinking that someone who exercises their right to free speech is worse than a warmongerer.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  15. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

He claims he has a 20 minute interview with Berg (American executed in Iraq). I freaked out when I heard that. If it is true, it is amazing. Out of 135K soldiers & contractors, he interviewed Berg before he left for Iraq. I'd be interested to see first hand, Berg's mindset and motives. I hope the family allows the video to be released.

As for MM being and a-hole -- yeah well so what. There's worst things to be and his cause is worth it. He's confrontational, cynical and maybe a little obnoxious towards the bastards that want to shut him up. And even if he is being and a-hole for the purpose of publicizing his movies, so what? Why should he be different than any other entrepreneur? HE IS AMERICAN after all. Everyone with an agenda is and a-hole to some degree. At the end of the day, you are FREE to agree or disagree with his views. What pisses him off is when people attack him personally and not his views.

16. Princess Science Dork Registered Senior Member

I find it ironic that Michael Moore should call anyone else a liar. He takes many unrelated and irrelevant facts and weaves them together in such a way to woo people who are too lazy to think for themselves. I guess in this sense it's not really a lie but it sure as hell isn't the truth.

17. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

The "other side" does this all the time.

18. Princess Science Dork Registered Senior Member

I’m not going to argue that the conservatives don’t engage in the same behavior at times (Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc.). I consider myself to be liberal so I see the left point of view quite easily. What I don't see coming from the left is arguments that are logical and coherent. I see lots of rhetoric and arm waving. I watched Jeneanne Garafalo on something the other night and I could not make sense of what she was saying. Any point is countered with whatever vague and irrelevant fact pops in her head. Her thoughts erratic and wandering. Michael Moore has the same affliction. I wish the liberals could get a mouthpiece that can make a logical and intelligent point without the rhetoric. Otherwise they are an embarrassment those of us who actively consider all sides before hopping on any bandwagon.

19. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

I would assume that It's definately irony as nobody in there right mind would burn books hitler did was he in his right mind.
    however I agree with fahrenheit about more and not actully writing arsehole
    Is being polite and not wishing to offend, I would have wrote it simular had It not been for the angst.
    fahrenheit did not call more a lier he just said that anyone who stirs up problems just to make a buck his a arsehole and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

20. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

This title is indictive of his true intentions.

From www.datejesus.com:

"Close-minded methods of preserving cultural health, such as banning products, censoring media, or enacting violence against disruptive elements are always categorized as unprovoked and without benefit. The leaders of these movements are said to create these laws and take action for no reason other than because they enjoy causing the misery of their people. This pop-psychology characterization is straight out of a Hollywood movie and founded on the erroneous thinking of media culture, but is frequently repeated because it is popular, despite being completely wrong."

21. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

If John Kerry has any wits about him he will put a standing order on the security detail for the Demo Convention that Moore is not to be allowed within 100 miles of Kerry at any time. Moore is the voice of the wingnuts of the party at the moment and it would be political suicide for Kerry to be associated with him at this point. Think about it like this: G. Gordon Liddy is an interesting character with an interesting past, and he certainly makes no bones about his politics but when is the last time you saw a Repub on a national stage hanging out with G? Same principle applies to Moore.

Even if he is right about a few of his specious contentions, no Demo in his right mind wants to be seen with that sort of bombastic character. It scares people, much like the Dean Scream.

22. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Before this turn into a flamethread,

I think Michael Moore is an enlightened individual, he has some good points of view. He also tends to bend the truth, but not lie. He has a great style and I think his sense of humor is a little like my own. Really, he searched for truth. Let's face it, ther americans are so fucked up, the are almost hopeless, Michael Moore even has a hard time proposing solutions. In his TV show, the awful truth, he does show the awful truth, but he promotes laziness. Sketchy at times, I feel that he does it sometimes to cause controversey and make money, but he is... interesting to say the least. Go Moore, you can make a better president than anyone in senate.

23. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

Oh, he is also good at getting the perfect clips and perfect editing to make things ;look different than exactly what they are.