Michael Moore Hates America: The movie

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by buffys, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. I know what you mean now. When Bush says "America wants this, America wants that...", we all know he's talking about himself.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. otheadp Banned Banned

i don't care what it takes - i just want to see that disgusting smirk wiped off Moore's face
    if you see the trailer, ther'es an intrview with him where he gets sort of nervous when asked about this documentary - tha'ts a good start

it's not particularly hard to discredit Moore... he is not branded a liar for nothing... so i dont think that this guy will have to resort to skewing or distorting information

if he has no big sponsors yet, he soon will, i'm sure of it, because Moore has pissed off a lot of people

i really want to see his F911 movie but i don't want to pay that fat-head a cent from my money .. so i'm going to rip it and send him an e-mail telling him i did

though i'd pay to see the MMHA movie

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

Not an IDIGNANT E-MAIL! im sure he'll be devastated, but still fantastically well off.

8. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

moores not a liar. He makes tenuous links certainly but he is always linking facts. You can call him a conspiracy theorist, a smug ass or even manipulative but not a liar.

I would also love to wipe that smirk off his face but just because of that "cat that ate the canary" look he always wears. There's only one famous smirk I hate even worse than moore's, and that's bush's. It's some sort of weird combination of constant confusion and complete self-obsorbtion. Just looking at his face makes me want to punch him and not because of his politics.

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

But uhm... don't you think you could use the documentary format to perfectly illustrate how easy it is to manipulate the documentary format? I don't know if that is the guy's intent, but it should be. He should edit and chop and skew and make moore look like a total ass, just like moore does to everyone else.

What if that is the point?

Actually, the title should make the film's intent pretty obvious. Seems like a demonstration of Moore using his own disgusting methods. I like the idea and hope the guy makes a good go of it. If not I'd guess it will backfire and appear as you put it.

Oh and someone in the trailer said:

"the great thing about america is that it makes the individual the architect of their own destiny".

That is beautiful.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  10. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Michael Moore actually helps Bush's chances for re-election everytime he opens his mouth. Just ask anybody associated with the Wesley Clark campaign effort. He's the sort of man most Americans would NEVER invite to their house for dinner - Loud, Rude, Bigoted and a Hypocrite - Just like Rush Limbaugh. That sort of person doesn't really play well in the race for the White House.

I will watch both movies when they are available for rental, but I have a strong suspicion that nothing much can be learned from either if you are the sort of person that pays close attention to what's happening in the world. Michael Moore plays well for people who never pick up a newspaper.

11. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

12. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure about helping bush but I'd agree under normal circumstances he'd just be preaching to the choir but the ferocity of the anti-moore campaign just gives him credibility. If bush had been smart he would have just ignored it and had his backers do the same but the louder they yell and more organized their campaign against him the more seriously moore will be taken.

13. otheadp Banned Banned

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd say the corporations lie a great deal more about things than he does.

15. otheadp Banned Banned

but he is seen (especially in France) as the champion crusader of the people for the people

this guy has an Oscar and a Palm D'or prize
    for works of fiction
    he has the nerve to call it documentaries?

he shames the genre

it should be called moore-tormentories
    read the Opinion Journal link for starters and see what a lying sack of shit Moore is... he is much worse than i thought, and i already thought of him as the scum of the earth

----
    edit:

omg, it gets worse
    at first i thought he really believes in what he is trying to do and that he's just a sloppy researcher with extreme leftist tendencies that sometimes bends the truth

but now it turns out that he explicitely lies on purpose
    documentary my foot

this guy needs to be gangbanged by a bunch of gay Marines

Last edited: Jun 15, 2004
  16. Working Class Hero Skank Monster Registered Senior Member

I'd say that eqauting Moore with Buddha is a big complement. Too big methinks.

17. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

I just warched the trailer. I enjoyed hearing Ten Years After. Got it from http://www.michaelmoore.com/index.php which also has a link to his home site buried in there. I have long had a pleasure watching people presented with their dead gods. Moore has that kind of fascination for me. It also pisses off a lot of folks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Another_Mike Registered Member

Actually, Michael Moore's "facts" have been successfully challenged, time and time again. The trailer I saw for his 9/11 movie states that Bush approved the Bin Laden family's departure on the morning of the attacks. That's a lie. Richard Clarke (remember him?) approved the departure, not Bush. Clarke even stated such to the 9/11 panel. So Moore lied right from the get-go; he doesn't even wait to lie in the movie, he does it in the trailer. Former Interior Department attorney David T. Hardy documented a plethora of false/distorted information as well as Moore's "creative editing" (swapping segments of footage around so it appears that events occurred in a different order than they actually did) in "Bowling for Columbine". The info can be seen here:

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

Moore's fans don't seem to mind that they're being lied to. Moore lies not by speaking, but by presenting information out of context and ommitting facts that would contradict his views. For example: a segment in B.F.C. implies that the KKK was ruled illegal the same year the NRA was founded. The implication Moore is making is that the NRA is somehow connected to the KKK, which is utter nonsense. But he never actually says they're connected - he just gives you the impression they are. Incidentally, the NRA was founded by a UNION military officer (NOT Confederate) who wanted to improve the marksmanship skills of soldiers. Moore conveniently omits that little piece of information. This is not documentary filmmaking - this is propaganda.

19. Crackity Jones Registered Member

I like Michael Moore and the movies he makes, I think he's very smart and it's good that there's a voice like that. The only trouble is, he's become too much of a crusader and is becoming bigger (if that's possible) that what he's trying to bring attention show. It's more like 'look at me, I'm Michael Moore, you just know I'm gonna slag someone off and make the country look bad'. He's rapidly becoming an annoying liberal you want to punch, like Tim Robbins or his 90 year old Missus.

20. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

WTF

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So the brothers of the prime suspect for the 9/11 deal are allowed out of the country the very next day on the say so of some low level functionary like Clarke? Jesus! What sort of government have you got over there?

You should have stuck with Moore's version at least it made your Prez look like he had some sort of control over the country he claims to be running.

Dee Cee

21. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

one of the biggest problems I find with the pro/anti views of moore's 9/11 movie is... 99% of the population hasn't even seen it yet!

Is moore satan himself?
    Is moore the rebirth of christ?

well, we can't really say yet can we? WATCH THE FUCKING SHOW BEFORE YOU START PIMPING/DEMONIZING IT!

22. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Ah I see so it's not quite as bad as saying "country X has WMD lets invade" when they haven't or "Country X supports AQ thats why we invaded" when they didn't but it's still bad none the less.

I think all liars should be beaten with sticks!
    The worse the lies the bigger the beating!
    I guess you agree with me on that one eh mike?
    Dee Cee

23. DJ Erock Resident Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Yeah, Michael Moore twists the truth a little, and leads you towards assumptions that seem a little off, so i guess its ok that we keep on killing each other more than any other country